• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

HE IS OWED 22.5 MILLION DOLLARS AFTER THIS SEASON.

Can we all agree to stop talking about the Red Wings buying him out? It's borderline absurd.

#2 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

It would be absurd even if we didn't owe him 22 million dollars.  His production for his price is a steal. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#3 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2339431" data-time="1357960282"><p>
It would be absurd even if we didn't owe him 22 million dollars.  His production for his price is a steal. </p></blockquote>

Leave that out tho. Cuz some people think its better to cut your best goal scorer and proven playoff producer in favor of a guy who plays with one hand on his stick and gets pushed to the boards despite being bigger than everyone else. Same people who thought Fedorov was worthless even tho he was our best forward for 10 straight years.

#4 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

As streaky as he is, of course it's very dumb to even suggest buying out a contract that has several years on it and millions on millons of dollars left on it... commone sense I thought but this is the internet. 

#5 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

How about we see how he performs in this shortened season shall we?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#6 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Buying him out is silly, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be considered a viable trade option.  

It's not just one or two posters who have a problem with Franzen's work ethic.  It's tons of posters.  He doesn't seem like a guy who plays with passion all the time.  

Give him Helm's work ethic, and you'll see what I mean.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#7 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Who cares, even his half assed work ethic scores more often than anyone on our team.  So unless you're trading him for an even better scoring winger (don't know why anyone would do that) then there's no sense in it. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#8 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Buying him out is silly, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be considered a viable trade option.  

It's not just one or two posters who have a problem with Franzen's work ethic.  It's tons of posters.  He doesn't seem like a guy who plays with passion all the time.  

Give him Helm's work ethic, and you'll see what I mean.  

What he said...

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#9 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Who cares, even his half assed work ethic scores more often than anyone on our team.  So unless you're trading him for an even better scoring winger (don't know why anyone would do that) then there's no sense in it. 

With the Wings playoff record the last few seasons, not attempting to improve the team makes no sense.  Obviously, it'd be a big and potentially risky move, but not as risky as say trading a younger player might be. 

I'm just saying that Holland should look at it.  We don't have many "tradeable" pieces, and I wouldn't trade Smith at this point.  Maybe not even Nyquist.     

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#10 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

No way is he going anywhere we owe him to much money
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#11 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Unless he completely bombs this season, no way Kenny pulls the trigger.

bringit.jpg

#12 Yzermania

Yzermania

In it to win it like Yzerman.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

but not as risky as say trading a younger player might be. 

Some people over value our youth.

We have been too good for too many years and have had s***ty draft picks because of it. Yeah I know, Pavs and Z were 9th and 10th round, but that is a not going to be a common occurrence. I really don't expect anyone to come up and end up being any better than a Fillipula type player at any given time. Smith may be the one exception as he seems like he will be a great D man, but we'll see just how great he ends up being.

#13 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,253 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2339431" data-time="1357960282"><p>
It would be absurd even if we didn't owe him 22 million dollars.  His production for his price is a steal. </p></blockquote>

Leave that out tho. Cuz some people think its better to cut your best goal scorer and proven playoff producer in favor of a guy who plays with one hand on his stick and gets pushed to the boards despite being bigger than everyone else. Same people who thought Fedorov was worthless even tho he was our best forward for 10 straight years.

Actually, you would be hard pressed to find someone who thinks Franzen and Fedorov should even be mentioned in the same sentence. Franzen could not and will never be good enough to even sniff Sergei's sock hat...One can argue that if Fedorov is not on our team for those 10 years, we may still be in a Stanley Cup drought, that same can NEVER EVER be said about twinkle toes Franzine...

Franzen should be traded. And speaking of comparng him with Hossa, sure Hossa may get pushed around easily, but Franzen is like a bowl a jelly as well and when the going gets tough he turtles.  Oh sure, he can pick on a teenager and throw his mouthgaurd out, but when someone challenges him, he is no more tough than Hossa...they are both soft.

Hossa is better than Franzen...period. Franzen will never be Fedorov.

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 1.00 PPG

#14 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

If the right trade came up obviously I would trade the franz but at his price what is coming back our way?  If it's more goals then add 2-4 mill a season.  Franzen -like a lot of other people have stated- in the end puts up the most goals for us at that price?  Keep until stolen away, just bench him when he's playing like a *****.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#15 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,402 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

I love any topic with "once and for all" in LGW.  As if... :lol:    just kidding, kid.

Mule is staying, I just hope he finds the short season "fun" enough to be the Mule we need  -- produce and participate, please!! 

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#16 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

We have been too good for too many years and have had s***ty draft picks because of it. Yeah I know, Pavs and Z were 9th and 10th round, but that is a not going to be a common occurrence. I really don't expect anyone to come up and end up being any better than a Fillipula type player at any given time. Smith may be the one exception as he seems like he will be a great D man, but we'll see just how great he ends up being.

6th and 7th round you mean. Also we have tatar, nyquist, smith and jarnkrok currently that are looking like studs

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#17 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

The Axe: First please use proper spelling and grammar, your post was torture to read.

As for the content: Mule is a tale of two players, one that is unstoppable, the other I'm 99% sure smokes pot under the bleachers before each shift.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#18 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

I have said this since 2009 playoffs... Franzen is only good when he is playing Homer's role in front of the net. He is not some sniper like everyone makes him out to be... he is at his best when he scores the dirty rebound goals or gets tips from standing in front. That is how he scored a huge majority of his goals in 2008 at the end of regular season and during playoffs. Babs needs to put Franzen back in that specific role and I think he will produce better and work better.

#19 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

I feel like our prospecs are underrated...look how well the griffins are doing so far with ALL of them playing in the minors..mrazek is going to be unreal in net , tatar is developing better, nyquist is already NHL material...the list goes on

Posted Image

Sig courtesy of TeeMan

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting forwards, then dangles 2 defenceman, and follows it up by doing "the datsyuk" on his victims, then calmly skates back to his bench ,and goes home to his girlfriend back in the motherland.

R.I.P Bob Probert
1965-2010

#20 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

To many posters ignore the facts when they come up with these absurd posts.  No we are not going to buy him out nor are we going to trade our top scoring winger.  Ignorant is the word that comes to mind. 

6th and 7th round you mean. Also we have tatar, nyquist, smith and jarnkrok currently that are looking like studs

Hockey Prospects has our youngsters as the 10th best in the league so they must know something

Do or do not. There is no try