• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MasterPavel" data-cid="2339746" data-time="1358096597"><p>
What is your love affair with Emmerton? He has one skill which is skating. Everything else with him is a negative when he is on the ice.</p></blockquote>

This
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#42 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

What is your love affair with Emmerton? He has one skill which is skating. Everything else with him is a negative when he is on the ice.

It's a gimmick.

#43 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

If its a two way contract, I can't really see why not.  Depth has been a huge problem for the Wings the past few seasons.  Look what we were left with when Helm went down last season.  With the shortened season, no real training camp, and unproven prospects, we could do a lot worse than having a durable, experienced forward with good defensive skills who can still put the puck in the net on occasion. 

#44 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I seem to remember before all of the lockout nonsense reading an interview where Knuble said it would be a dream come true to get to finish his career with Detroit.. so why not at least give him a chance to prove he can do it?..

Why not? Sign him so he can play a couple of games in Detroit...maybe some playoff games, get his name on a Cup.  Mostly though so he can get a couple of games in and hang em up playing for his hometown(state) and draft team...I understand. Even Modo retired a Red Wing...

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

Money on the board: $30.00 plus immunity.

Franzen = 0.333 PPG

#45 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MasterPavel" data-cid="2339746" data-time="1358096597"><p>
What is your love affair with Emmerton? He has one skill which is skating. Everything else with him is a negative when he is on the ice.</p></blockquote>

71 games last year. Voted Red Wings rookie of the year. He's fast and getting better.

#46 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

As others have pointed out it's no commitment.

I think it just makes some of us nervous because given Holland's fondness for picking up players in their twilight years, a tryout is a bit like an alcoholic going to a bar "just to see what brands they carry."

#47 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I think it just makes some of us nervous because given Holland's fondness for picking up players in their twilight years, a tryout is a bit like an alcoholic going to a bar "just to see what brands they carry."

But more often than not, Holland makes the right call.  If the Wings were overflowing with good young talent, I'd say no way.  But so far, none of these guys have proven they can really perform at the next level consistently. 

#48 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Some people really don't seem to understand the concept of a tryout. There is absolutely no guarantee that he will be given a contract, just as there is absolutely nothing to lose by letting him try for one.

I do understand this but why waste his time and ours? Yes I get yer point dude. And I was stating an opinion. Giving a 40 year old vet a tryout ok sure. No harm done. Next please.

#49 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

the thing that worries me is that he has a good camp and then takes a roster spot away from one of younger guys.

holland needs to realize that this team is in rebuilding mode now. you don't bring in 40 year old veterans on a rebuilding team when you already have several of them on your roster. Even if knuble isn't on the starting roster, chances are he gets the first call up in case of an injury and robs nyquist or tatar of a call up

#50 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

I think this could be good for a shortened season and why not? More depth, hard working defensive minded forward. Blast from the past for sure! Give him a shot... 

#51 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

But more often than not, Holland makes the right call.  If the Wings were overflowing with good young talent, I'd say no way.  But so far, none of these guys have proven they can really perform at the next level consistently. 

None of them have been given an opportunity to do so and it looks like they won't get one this year either

#52 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

the thing that worries me is that he has a good camp and then takes a roster spot away from one of younger guys.

holland needs to realize that this team is in rebuilding mode now. you don't bring in 40 year old veterans on a rebuilding team when you already have several of them on your roster. Even if knuble isn't on the starting roster, chances are he gets the first call up in case of an injury and robs nyquist or tatar of a call up

The Wings only have two forwards over the age of 35...Samuelsson is 36 and Bertuzzi is 37.  Only one defenseman over 30...What logical reason would the Wings have for not bringing up a young forward if the scouting and coaching staff thought he could be productive? 

#53 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

I think this could be good for a shortened season and why not? More depth, hard working defensive minded forward. Blast from the past for sure! Give him a shot... 

Yeah, why not?  It's a shortened season and due to the intensity of it if he has a 2 way our younger guys will still have the opportunity to gain NHL experience when he is being rested.

Especially if we end up making a trade for a #1/#2 d-man.

Edited by Marty Barry, 13 January 2013 - 09:08 PM.