• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWingNation43

Wings Looking For Defenseman

Rate this topic

I don't mind Smith in GR if Redden were to pan out. I don't like it but I view it the same way I view Nyquist starting in GR to begin the season. And I wouldn't mind losing Emmerton, since I don't think he has much of a future here anyway. He's got that feel to him like he'd do well on another team. Rare but it happens. And I've supported him and think we rip on him way too much. He's very solid defensively, doesn't make many mistakes and is a good but not great 4th line guy and sometimes that's all you need. But sometimes you take a chance if it's staring you in the face. At the end of the day, you don't base this decision on hope, you bring him in for a try out. See if he can still skate. I get this feeling if we signed another bottom six guy with some unfounded reputation for being "solid" for 1 year 700k we wouldn't have an issue with it. Or if we're paranoid, get him to sign a two way deal and tell him if he can play his way onto the team that he'll get a spot. It's Redden, it's not like he can be picky.

And yes, players coming to Detroit more often than not will play better. Just like any very good team. That's how hockey works and we've seen a ton of examples. Don't even try to claim otherwise. We're the reclamation destination of choice.

A few thoughts:

• To lose a player on waivers to bring in Redden would be a waste of resources. Use those resources instead (Emmerton, Mursak, or Kindl) to package with picks and/or prospects to bring in a proven NHL quality d-man to help the bottom pairing now.
  • It's a 48 game season. Every game counts & if you get off to a slow start, your season my very well be over. Can you take the chance on giving regular ice time to a guy who hasn't proved he can hack it in the NHL since the 2007-08 season?
  • Redden hasn't played since last season as he's not on the Whale's AHL roster this year. How many regular season games can you afford to give him to get into playing shape?
  • At this point, Smith brings far greater value to the big club's lineup than Redden can. Hell, Mike Commodore would bring more value than Redden at this point.
  • Two way deal? No, there will be some team (Islanders) that will give him a 1 way contract & a roster spot. Let him sign somewhere else.
Edited by ogreslayer

To lose Emmerton* to waivers for a Redden who in the eyes of our coaching staff hypothetically looked good enough to sign for pennies? Not a waste at all. Like I said, I'm not basing this on hope or foresight. Make Redden earn it and if he looks good, that trumps some silly "hasn't been good for years" paranoid fear. And I'm not thinking about this in terms of how many games we have to give him to be in shape, my view is if he's not in shape now, bye. If he is and can play at minimum 7th or 8th dman, his upside is very high. Like was said, it's a risk. Funny you bring up Commodore, since it appears that the sky in fact didn't fall after we signed him. Here we are, just fine. And if Redden gets a 1 way deal somewhere else, cool, good for him.

I really like idea of bringing Dmitry Kulikov to Detroit. He's only 22 years old. I haven't watched enough of him to really say how defensively sound he is. Definitely has some offensive upside. 28 points in 58 games last year. On top of all that, his presence may make Datsyuk feel a little more at home, since Kulikov is Russian.

I can see Holland holding on to our expendable pieces until the deadline. Emmerton, Mursak, Tatar, Nyquist and Kindl can all be used in package deal for a great defensemen. Holland will wait until the deadline and a team looking to rebuild.

Would you trade Nyquist, Emmerton and Kindl + picks for Iginla and J Bou for a playoff run?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Brunner

Franzen-Flippula-Iginla

Bertuzzi-Helm-Cleary

Tootoo-Abdelkader-Eaves

Ericsson-Kronwall

J Bou-Quincey

White-Coliavacio

I really like idea of bringing Dmitry Kulikov to Detroit. He's only 22 years old. I haven't watched enough of him to really say how defensively sound he is. Definitely has some offensive upside. 28 points in 58 games last year. On top of all that, his presence may make Datsyuk feel a little more at home, since Kulikov is Russian.

So why would Florida get rid of him?

I can see Holland holding on to our expendable pieces until the deadline. Emmerton, Mursak, Tatar, Nyquist and Kindl can all be used in package deal for a great defensemen. Holland will wait until the deadline and a team looking to rebuild.

Would you trade Nyquist, Emmerton and Kindl + picks for Iginla and J Bou for a playoff run?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Brunner

Franzen-Flippula-Iginla

Bertuzzi-Helm-Cleary

Tootoo-Abdelkader-Eaves

Ericsson-Kronwall

J Bou-Quincey

White-Coliavacio

You are joking right? No one in their right mind would take that! iginla and J bou, for kindl, emmeron, and nyquist and draft picks? First of all our draft picks suck, secondly the only valuable piece of that trade is Nyquist. I feel like any gm who would accept a trade even remotely similar to that would be fired immediately. That would be like us trading Datsyuk and Kronwall for Kostopoulos, Jackman, and Derek Smith with a 2nd round pick. Holland would be canned so fast...

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Euro_Twins" data-cid="2340471" data-time="1358307429"><p>

<br />

You are joking right? No one in their right mind would take that! iginla and J bou, for kindl, emmeron, and nyquist and draft picks? First of all our draft picks suck, secondly the only valuable piece of that trade is Nyquist. I feel like any gm who would accept a trade even remotely similar to that would be fired immediately. That would be like us trading Datsyuk and Kronwall for Kostopoulos, Jackman, and Derek Smith with a 2nd round pick. Holland would be canned so fast...</p></blockquote>

Its amazing how good most people on here think our "prospects" are. Nyquist and Tatar for Malkin and Letang. Pittsburgh would easily jump on that. We have the biggest collection of sissy Euros who cant hit, skate, or score in the NHL as our "prospects" right now. Nyquist this. Nyqyist that. Andersson is the guy. He and Emmerton will play all day in front of Nyquist and Tatar. Speed and size.

Its amazing how good most people on here think our "prospects" are. Nyquist and Tatar for Malkin and Letang. Pittsburgh would easily jump on that. We have the biggest collection of sissy Euros who cant hit, skate, or score in the NHL as our "prospects" right now. Nyquist this. Nyqyist that. Andersson is the guy. He and Emmerton will play all day in front of Nyquist and Tatar. Speed and size.

There's a reason most think our prospects are good; it's because they are. While we do have our fair share of soft Euro prospects, I think the likes of Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan, Sproul, and McKee would strongly disagree with your overall assessment. Also, we have a couple all-star NHLers who were once considered soft euros, you've likely heard of them, Datsyuk and Zetterberg ring a bell?

I wonder what could possibly make you think Nyquist can't skate or score in the NHL? Please inform us of what you see that our pro scouts must have missed in their multiple evaluations.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Euro_Twins" data-cid="2340471" data-time="1358307429"><p>

<br />

You are joking right? No one in their right mind would take that! iginla and J bou, for kindl, emmeron, and nyquist and draft picks? First of all our draft picks suck, secondly the only valuable piece of that trade is Nyquist. I feel like any gm who would accept a trade even remotely similar to that would be fired immediately. That would be like us trading Datsyuk and Kronwall for Kostopoulos, Jackman, and Derek Smith with a 2nd round pick. Holland would be canned so fast...</p></blockquote>

You misread me... Our prospects are very good, the problem is they are just that, prospects. No one in their right mind is going to trade away their best forward and #2 dman for a couple draft picks and kindl, and two "unproven" prospects... especially the kindl part and emmerton

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="cr00d" data-cid="2340577" data-time="1358355311"><p>

<br />

There's a reason most think our prospects are good; it's because they are. While we do have our fair share of soft Euro prospects, I think the likes of Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan, Sproul, and McKee would strongly disagree with your overall assessment. Also, we have a couple all-star NHLers who were once considered soft euros, you've likely heard of them, Datsyuk and Zetterberg ring a bell?<br />

<br />

I wonder what could possibly make you think Nyquist can't skate or score in the NHL? Please inform us of what you see that our pro scouts must have missed in their multiple evaluations.</p></blockquote>

Yah, when they were 17 years old maybe. Dats and Z were impact guys from the start. Noone was talking about Dats looking good in Grand Rapids during 2000. The guy was a legit NHLer from the go and people knew we stole him in the draft. Same with Z. This is what scares the shot out of me. Since those 2, our forwards havent popped out like they use to. Its been dry in that area for a long time as far as top 3-6 talent goes. Meanwhile, Edmonton is adding 1 or 2 of them each year. Dead Things might be coming back. Kenny is NOT getting 'er done, Im afraid.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="cr00d" data-cid="2340577" data-time="1358355311"><p>

<br />

There's a reason most think our prospects are good; it's because they are. While we do have our fair share of soft Euro prospects, I think the likes of Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan, Sproul, and McKee would strongly disagree with your overall assessment. Also, we have a couple all-star NHLers who were once considered soft euros, you've likely heard of them, Datsyuk and Zetterberg ring a bell?<br />

<br />

I wonder what could possibly make you think Nyquist can't skate or score in the NHL? Please inform us of what you see that our pro scouts must have missed in their multiple evaluations.</p></blockquote>

Yah, when they were 17 years old maybe. Dats and Z were impact guys from the start. Noone was talking about Dats looking good in Grand Rapids during 2000. The guy was a legit NHLer from the go and people knew we stole him in the draft. Same with Z. This is what scares the shot out of me. Since those 2, our forwards havent popped out like they use to. Its been dry in that area for a long time as far as top 3-6 talent goes. Meanwhile, Edmonton is adding 1 or 2 of them each year. Dead Things might be coming back. Kenny is NOT getting 'er done, Im afraid.

It's a scary thought but there's good news-a guy doesn't have to be an NHL from the word go in order to become a great player.

Both guys were 22-23 years old when they joined the Wings. KH let them "ripen" over seas rather than in GR. Much the same as is happening with Jarnkrok now, who, coincidentally, is being compared to none other than Zetterberg.

Do a little research on our prospects; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Detroit has done a marvellous job of stocking good, young talent with their late picks; and while they aren't on the same level as the prospects being drafted in Edmonton, we as Wings fan also haven't had to put up with year after year of miserable seasons.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I wish Emmerton would go away and for Nyquist to make the team. With our average blueline, we need all the scoring we can get.

Just a question for the forum, but if Brunner turns out to be the real deal, how would everyone feel about trading a package with Nyquist as a main piece to NJ for Anton Volchenkov? We need a shutdown defender who can play against top forwards. Jersey needs to add a little offensive punch. What do you guys think? Hypothetically, of course.

Plus as good as Nyquist is, he's a bit redundant for us at center (especially with Jarnkrok showing solid development), and if Brunner turns out then Nyquist is less valuable on the wing. I'd do Nyquist and a 2nd for Volchenkov. But then again, I'm sure I'm in the minority.

I like the idea of Brenden Morrow at the deadline.

I liked this last deadline....and the draft....and all summer long. I forget who it was but they cursed me up and down when suggesting trade Franzen for Morrow....I know Franzen may be worth a bit more than Morrow, but I think with what this team needs is a Morrow type player. Heck it would take less then that is even better! Get Morrow here for sure! He would sure be a help!