• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWingNation43

Wings Looking For Defenseman

Rate this topic

Volchenkov would be a great addition. Shot-blocking machine, him.

Just had a look at their defensive roster. Given the amount of shutdown d-men they have it probably wouldn't even take Nyquist to get them to come off of him. Maybe Tatar and a 2nd.

Or Tatar and Kindl.

Edited by kipwinger

I really like idea of bringing Dmitry Kulikov to Detroit. He's only 22 years old. I haven't watched enough of him to really say how defensively sound he is. Definitely has some offensive upside. 28 points in 58 games last year. On top of all that, his presence may make Datsyuk feel a little more at home, since Kulikov is Russian.

I'd be on board with this too. Big fan of what I've seen from Kulikov.

So why would Florida get rid of him?

They seem to be having a lot of trouble signing him in Florida. Kulikov is a RFA and hasn't even left Russia yet. Apparently, his agent and Florida management haven't even spoken in over two days. I can't imagine what the price tag on him would be, but I'd love him here.

Just had a look at their defensive roster. Given the amount of shutdown d-men they have it probably wouldn't even take Nyquist to get them to come off of him. Maybe Tatar and a 2nd.

Or Tatar and Kindl.

With some of the other potential top 6 forwards the Wings have in the system (Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Jurco, Frk, & I would add Sheahan as a tweener able to jump between centering the 3rd & 2nd ultimately) I wouldn't mind it if the Wings had to give up a Tatar or Nyquist for more defense. I still think defense is where the Wing's prospect pool is the weakest & like some people, I won't count on DeKeyser signing in Detroit in the off-season.

i would take volchenkov for nyquist or tatar + kindl+ pick

i dont see any trades for bogosian though unless its mule or smith for him

I was high on nyquist but it doesnt look like hes going to make it in the nhl same with tatar

with volchenkov our defense would go from D to B+

Edited by brett

I can see Holland holding on to our expendable pieces until the deadline. Emmerton, Mursak, Tatar, Nyquist and Kindl can all be used in package deal for a great defensemen. Holland will wait until the deadline and a team looking to rebuild.

Would you trade Nyquist, Emmerton and Kindl + picks for Iginla and J Bou for a playoff run?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Brunner

Franzen-Flippula-Iginla

Bertuzzi-Helm-Cleary

Tootoo-Abdelkader-Eaves

Ericsson-Kronwall

J Bou-Smith

White-Coliavacio

I had this idea pop into my head today, too, and, even though I realize that it doesn't pencil out, I still can't get it out of my head. Although I sorta through in Quincey and Sammy going to Calgary also as part of the 5 for 2 old time blockbuster trade, and thus had Smith pairing with Bouwmester. That team could do some damage. Talk about rolling four lines, look the f*** out!

Oh well, maybe in the old days...but not with the new cap world math.

Regardless, I'm really hoping Ericsson takes the next step and becomes ERock! He's been here long enough, he's getting paid enough, we sure need him enough, the time has come.

Edited by T.Low

I can see Holland holding on to our expendable pieces until the deadline. Emmerton, Mursak, Tatar, Nyquist and Kindl can all be used in package deal for a great defensemen. Holland will wait until the deadline and a team looking to rebuild.

Would you trade Nyquist, Emmerton and Kindl + picks for Iginla and J Bou for a playoff run?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Brunner

Franzen-Flippula-Iginla

Bertuzzi-Helm-Cleary

Tootoo-Abdelkader-Eaves

Ericsson-Kronwall

J Bou-Quincey

White-Coliavacio

I have to say....this peaked my interest.

Guest irishock

Im in love with Nyquist unless we're playing San Jose, St. Louis, etc.

Then again I had the same feeling about Pavs before 2007, when he became the toughest Red Wing on the roster imo.

Edited by irishock

Guest irishock

Lol no kidding

point is Nyquist won't be very effective against big hitting teams, but he won't improve if he doesn't gain more experience against those teams. Still think signing Sammy wasn't a bright move for Kenny to make, esp. when you have guys that have reached their max potential in the minors and need to get into the Major league.

Edited by irishock

Lol no kidding

point is Nyquist won't be very effective against big hitting teams, but he won't improve if he doesn't gain more experience against those teams. Still think signing Sammy wasn't a bright move for Kenny to make, esp. when you have guys that have reached their max potential in the minors and need to get into the Major league.

Put him on the same line with any of Lucic/Horton/Clowe/Hartnell/Backes...etc... and he will be effective

I don't care what Illitch does with his money, as long as it results in a bolstered defence

and a Tigers World Series Championship

Call me crazy but I think the D isn't as bad as people think. Quincey, Smith, Kindl, and Ericsson are all over 6'0, Kronwall has people keeping their heads up, and White and Carlo chip in with skill.

You'd have to think Smith and Kindl are going to get better, Quincey was a very solid pick up, and Ericsson, as people have said in another discussion, played very well the last 2/3 of the season. Then there's Kronwall and White, we know what they're capable of.

Seriously, who could we get that's better than Kronwall, Quincey, Ericsson, White, or Smith without selling the farm? Defensemen, just like starting pitching in Baseball, are way over priced.

and a Tigers World Series Championship

Call me crazy but I think the D isn't as bad as people think. Quincey, Smith, Kindl, and Ericsson are all over 6'0, Kronwall has people keeping their heads up, and White and Carlo chip in with skill.

You'd have to think Smith and Kindl are going to get better, Quincey was a very solid pick up, and Ericsson, as people have said in another discussion, played very well the last 2/3 of the season. Then there's Kronwall and White, we know what they're capable of.

Seriously, who could we get that's better than Kronwall, Quincey, Ericsson, White, or Smith without selling the farm? Defensemen, just like starting pitching in Baseball, are way over priced.

I am the one who keeps saying how great Big Rig was the last 2/3 of the season, he definitely did step up last year. I know Smith will be great too, the problem I have with our defense is Kindl. The kid is a liability everytime he touches the puck, hell he's a liability being on the ice in general. If Colo cannot stay healthy, mark my works our D is in trouble! He may be 6'3" 215lbs, but he doesn't use his size to his advantage at all, he doesn't shut down lanes, he doesn't get physical, he just goes out there and skates around for 30-40 seconds and goes back and sits down

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Euro_Twins" data-cid="2340847" data-time="1358433113"><p>

<br />

I am the one who keeps saying how great Big Rig was the last 2/3 of the season, he definitely did step up last year. I know Smith will be great too, the problem I have with our defense is Kindl. The kid is a liability everytime he touches the puck, hell he's a liability being on the ice in general. If Colo cannot stay healthy, mark my works our D is in trouble! He may be 6'3" 215lbs, but he doesn't use his size to his advantage at all, he doesn't shut down lanes, he doesn't get physical, he just goes out there and skates around for 30-40 seconds and goes back and sits down</p></blockquote>

Relax on Kindl. He's cheap, young, and has big upside cause he can skate and see the ice well. Its not like the coaches are giving him 25 minutes per night. They are using him as 6/7 in hopes he will acclimate and develop. Makes sense, right?

I am the one who keeps saying how great Big Rig was the last 2/3 of the season, he definitely did step up last year. I know Smith will be great too, the problem I have with our defense is Kindl. The kid is a liability everytime he touches the puck, hell he's a liability being on the ice in general. If Colo cannot stay healthy, mark my works our D is in trouble! He may be 6'3" 215lbs, but he doesn't use his size to his advantage at all, he doesn't shut down lanes, he doesn't get physical, he just goes out there and skates around for 30-40 seconds and goes back and sits down

Yeah dude seriously, if Kindl is your biggest problem with the defense then our defense is stellar. Kindl will hardly play this year and has essentially zero responsibilities. He's not expected to score, he's not expected to shutdown top flight guys, he's not expected to kill penalties, or man the power play.

Why is he your biggest concern?

Now, if you were worried about the fact that we don't have a single defenseman capable of shutting down top forwards I'd agree with you.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2340877" data-time="1358438868"><p>

<br />

Yeah dude seriously, if Kindl is your biggest problem with the defense then our defense is stellar. Kindl will hardly play this year and has essentially zero responsibilities. He's not expected to score, he's not expected to shutdown top flight guys, he's not expected to kill penalties, or man the power play. <br />

<br />

Why is he your biggest concern?<br />

<br />

Now, if you were worried about the fact that we don't have a single defenseman capable of shutdown down top forwards I'd agree with you.</p></blockquote>

Spot on. We are missing a #1 D, a Sniper, and a Fighter. Pointing the finger at Kindl is like the Tigers pointing the finger at their bat boy.

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="F.Michael" data-cid="2340903" data-time="1358442035"><p>

While I agree with you in theory - however unlike the batboy - Kindl will most certainly get more than his fair share of ice time...Shortened season with playing dates a bit closer to one another, and with the likes of an injury prone Colaiacovo (crosses fingers he doesn't) I'm fearing our D could be a major concern.<br />

<br />

Jimmy Howard will most likely see more rubber than a dead skunk on I-95 during rush hour.</p></blockquote>

Ha ha ha!

He's going to be sprawling more times than Eva Unit Zero the night Hudler shirts shot out of the spring loader shirt cannons at the Joe.