• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWingNation43

Wings Looking For Defenseman

Rate this topic

In other news, a couple of UFA's this summer could be attractive...

Phaneuf, Latang, Gilbert, Bouwmeester, Orpik, Hjalmarsson, Morris and of course the oft mentioned Pitkanen.... ANY of these guys I would rather have than Quincey, Kindl and Big E.

Thats not this summer, its the summer after this one. The summer coming up has old guys like timonen and streit.

Even if there were UFAs available this year - we AREN'T an attractive place to play unless you are 32+. Players like Letang (Who isn't a UFA this year) would be better off signing with Pitts as they are a far better team and can afford him. We have to trade if we want to add anything of worth on D in the next 2 seasons.

As stated in another thread at some point our front office has to make a statement not only for themselves but for the whole league. That this is storied franchise will not tolerate mediocrity any longer, you don't want to work your million$ butts off for an organization that is giving A LOT? fine, Kenny will trade you!

Guys like Hjalmarson are not the answer, players like Pietrangelo, Letang are keep in mind Letang is hitting UFA the same year as Malkin does so how can Pittsburgh afford to sign both to huge deals? Bouwmeester would be a nice addition doubt, Toronto will let their captain go to UFA easily.

If nothing works at least tank for a chance for Jones., there are some great defensemen to be had in the upcoming draft.

Edited by frankgrimes

We kinda sorta need to jump on Subban, methinks.

Maybe someone could get Kenny really, really high. Slip him something, I dunno.

I agree - Subban would be a huge boost for the Wings. It would show the rest of the league the Wings aren't going to roll over, and if MTL isn't willing to give him a longer-term contract, why not try it?

I swear Holland just doesn't want to piss anyone off because he thinks if he plays nice, people will do him favors down the road. At this point, what has he got to lose? Enough long-term cap room to make it work...

Either that or everyones dream comes true this year - the Wings tank, Holland gets fired and the great Yzerman returns to lead to team once again!!!!

I agree - Subban would be a huge boost for the Wings. It would show the rest of the league the Wings aren't going to roll over, and if MTL isn't willing to give him a longer-term contract, why not try it?

I swear Holland just doesn't want to piss anyone off because he thinks if he plays nice, people will do him favors down the road. At this point, what has he got to lose? Enough long-term cap room to make it work...

Either that or everyones dream comes true this year - the Wings tank, Holland gets fired and the great Yzerman returns to lead to team once again!!!!

The reason MTL is not giving him a long term contract is because he has proven to have a horrible attitude at times, they don't want to commit long-term in the event that he doesn't grow up. He might be a good player, but if he is poisonous we don't want him.

Steve Yzerman will not be the next GM of the Detroit Red Wings...Jim Nill will. Yzerman would actually need to win something before being handed the helm of one of the NHL's premier teams.

Yzerman put together that Olympic gold medal team in 2010, remember?

It was a joke, but you are right - Nill will take over before Yzerman.

The reason MTL is not giving him a long term contract is because he has proven to have a horrible attitude at times, they don't want to commit long-term in the event that he doesn't grow up. He might be a good player, but if he is poisonous we don't want him.

Ah that crap is overrated. Cleary had a bad attitude as well. He turned out ok once he got to the Wings. I think most would agree, a little time in Detroit tends to fix these attitude problems.

Ah that crap is overrated. Cleary had a bad attitude as well. He turned out ok once he got to the Wings. I think most would agree, a little time in Detroit tends to fix these attitude problems.

You mean like Sean Avery? Yep, being in the wings organization really turned his attitude around.

The last thing we need are questionable guys with non work ethic.

I really really hope Nill will not be the next GM, Yzerman put together a Canadian gold medal team is an alltime favorite here and should be the next in line no matter what.

No matter what huh? Shouldn't being a good GM matter at least a little bit? A good player doesn't equal a good manager necessarily. Ask Gretskzy. I'd prefer Yzerman show he's capable of winning in the NHL before jumping on his bandwagon, but that's just me.

Also, how hard was it to pick this team:

Goaltenders

• Martin Brodeur, 37 (New Jersey Devils)
  • Roberto Luongo, 30 (Vancouver Canucks)
  • Marc-Andre Fleury, 25 (Pittsburgh Penguins)

Defense

• Scott Niedermayer, 36 (Anaheim Ducks)
  • Chris Pronger, 35 (Philadelphia Flyers)
  • Shea Weber, 24 (Nashville Predators)
  • Drew Doughty, 20 (Los Angeles Kings)
  • Duncan Keith 26 (Chicago Blackhawks)
  • Dan Boyle, 33 (San Jose Sharks)
  • Brent Seabrook, 24 (Chicago Blackhawks)

Forwards

• Sidney Crosby, 21 (Pittsburgh Penguins)
  • Rick Nash, 25 (Columbus Blue Jackets)
  • Jarome Iginla, 32 (Calgary Flames)
  • Mike Richards, 25 (Philadelphia Flyers)
  • Joe Thornton, 30 (San Jose Sharks)
  • Patrick Marleau, 30 (San Jose Sharks)
  • Ryan Getzlaf, 24 (Anaheim Ducks)
  • Brenden Morrow, 31 (Dallas Stars)
  • Corey Perry, 24 (Anaheim Ducks)
  • Dany Heatley, 29 (San Jose Sharks)
  • Eric Staal, 25 (Carolina Hurricanes)
  • Patrice Bergeron, 25 (Boston Bruins)
  • Jonathan Toews, 21 (Chicago Blackhawks)

Edit: If you think it was tough to put this team together here's an interesting tidbit...About.com picked the exact same team with two exceptions. Martin St. Louis instead of Patrice Bergeron, and Jay Bouwmeester instead of Drew Doughty. Hmmm.

It's a lot easier to pick a team out of a huge group of Allstars. That in no way says how he'll be as a GM.. But doesn't Kenny still have 4ish years on his contract? I think in those 4 years, yzerman will prove he's qualified for the job. He's doing good things in Tampa so far.

It's a lot easier to pick a team out of a huge group of Allstars. That in no way says how he'll be as a GM.. But doesn't Kenny still have 4ish years on his contract? I think in those 4 years, yzerman will prove he's qualified for the job. He's doing good things in Tampa so far.

By not making the playoffs last season in spite of inheriting a team with 4 of its top six forwards in place AND its franchise defenseman? Or by signing Matt Carle and Sami Salo to contracts that pretty much everyone around LGW agreed were horrible?

Yzerman stepped on to a team that already had St. Louis, Stamkos, Lecavalier, Ryan Malone, and Victor Hedman. His primary acquisitions thus far have been Carle, Salo, Simon Gagne, Dwayne Roloson, and Benoit Pouliot. Two of which don't play there anymore.

Again, he's got a long way to go before anyone can consider him a top GM in this league, and longer to go before he's qualified to be the GM of the Red Wings.

Edited by kipwinger

By not making the playoffs last season in spite of inheriting a team with 4 of its top six forwards in place AND its franchise defenseman? Or by signing Matt Carle and Sami Salo to contracts that pretty much everyone around LGW agreed were horrible?

Yzerman stepped on to a team that already had St. Louis, Stamkos, Lecavalier, Ryan Malone, and Victor Hedman. His primary acquisitions thus far have been Carle, Salo, Simon Gagne, Dwayne Roloson, and Benoit Pouliot. Two of which don't play there anymore.

Again, he's got a long way to go before anyone can consider him a top GM in this league, and longer to go before he's qualified to be the GM of the Red Wings.

Nill may find a GM somewhere else too.

No matter what huh? Shouldn't being a good GM matter at least a little bit? A good player doesn't equal a good manager necessarily. Ask Gretskzy. I'd prefer Yzerman show he's capable of winning in the NHL before jumping on his bandwagon, but that's just me.

Also, how hard was it to pick this team:

Goaltenders

• Martin Brodeur, 37 (New Jersey Devils)
  • Roberto Luongo, 30 (Vancouver Canucks)
  • Marc-Andre Fleury, 25 (Pittsburgh Penguins)

Defense

• Scott Niedermayer, 36 (Anaheim Ducks)
  • Chris Pronger, 35 (Philadelphia Flyers)
  • Shea Weber, 24 (Nashville Predators)
  • Drew Doughty, 20 (Los Angeles Kings)
  • Duncan Keith 26 (Chicago Blackhawks)
  • Dan Boyle, 33 (San Jose Sharks)
  • Brent Seabrook, 24 (Chicago Blackhawks)

Forwards

• Sidney Crosby, 21 (Pittsburgh Penguins)
  • Rick Nash, 25 (Columbus Blue Jackets)
  • Jarome Iginla, 32 (Calgary Flames)
  • Mike Richards, 25 (Philadelphia Flyers)
  • Joe Thornton, 30 (San Jose Sharks)
  • Patrick Marleau, 30 (San Jose Sharks)
  • Ryan Getzlaf, 24 (Anaheim Ducks)
  • Brenden Morrow, 31 (Dallas Stars)
  • Corey Perry, 24 (Anaheim Ducks)
  • Dany Heatley, 29 (San Jose Sharks)
  • Eric Staal, 25 (Carolina Hurricanes)
  • Patrice Bergeron, 25 (Boston Bruins)
  • Jonathan Toews, 21 (Chicago Blackhawks)

Edit: If you think it was tough to put this team together here's an interesting tidbit...About.com picked the exact same team with two exceptions. Martin St. Louis instead of Patrice Bergeron, and Jay Bouwmeester instead of Drew Doughty. Hmmm.

Yeah that roster was unbelievable loaded at every position, but GREAT players don't make a GREAT team ask the canadian WJC u20 squad. Does Yzerman have ways to go? You bet, but he has 4 years to prove himself that is the time when Hollands contract is up and Yzerman could be had at that time. Keep in mind he is working under an internal budget in Tampa and has to revamp their whole defense with not many great players avaiable: I have a lot of trust in this guy and I think he will be the GM of the Wings at some point, at least he will be better than the other option Jim Nill.

Yeah that roster was unbelievable loaded at every position, but GREAT players don't make a GREAT team ask the canadian WJC u20 squad. Does Yzerman have ways to go? You bet, but he has 4 years to prove himself that is the time when Hollands contract is up and Yzerman could be had at that time. Keep in mind he is working under an internal budget in Tampa and has to revamp their whole defense with not many great players avaiable: I have a lot of trust in this guy and I think he will be the GM of the Wings at some point, at least he will be better than the other option Jim Nill.

No they don't have an internal salary floor in Tampa. Their payroll is higher than the Red Wings. http://www.capgeek.com/

And what does Jim Nill have to do to deserve a little credit? I mean what has that guy ever done aside from play a primary role in scouting, drafting, and developing every Red Wings prospect since 1994 in his role as director of amateur scouting; the list of which includes Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Filppula, Franzen, Kronwall, Smith, Nyquist, Helm, Abdelkader, etc.

Yeah, Yzerman is obviously the better choice.

Edited by kipwinger

they weren't the best moves by a GM but carle and salo add defensive depth, something that can be hard to come by.. and yea, the contracts weren't the best but it's also in a market where just about every free agent is getting over paid. I also like the addition of Lindback, he's young and has potential. also, tampa is a team that has struggled to make the playoffs a lot in recent years despite having a group of all stars on the team. I'm not saying his time there so far has proved he's an elite GM, I'm just saying I think he has them going in the right direction and will prove himself in the next few seasons.

they weren't the best moves by a GM but carle and salo add defensive depth, something that can be hard to come by.. and yea, the contracts weren't the best but it's also in a market where just about every free agent is getting over paid. I also like the addition of Lindback, he's young and has potential. also, tampa is a team that has struggled to make the playoffs a lot in recent years despite having a group of all stars on the team. I'm not saying his time there so far has proved he's an elite GM, I'm just saying I think he has them going in the right direction and will prove himself in the next few seasons.

Well I'll definitely agree with you about the Lindback move, that was a good one. Had he not filled his glaring hole at goalie my case for Yzerman as a not very good GM would be all but airtight. Time will tell with Stevie Y, but given his track record with scouting, drafting, and developing players I think Jim Nill is MUCH more qualified for the position when Ken Holland retires, and the every available fact seems to back that up.

Edited by kipwinger

Well I'll definitely agree with you about the Lindback move, that was a good one. Had he not filled his glaring hole at goalie my case for Yzerman as a not very good GM would be all but airtight. Time will tell with Stevie Y, but given his track record with scouting, drafting, and developing players I think Jim Nill is MUCH more qualified for the position when Ken Holland retires, and the every available fact seems to back that up.

I'd agree that Nill is more qualified right now, and could very well be the next GM of the detroit red wings; I'm not disputing that. Nill could be more qualified in four years as well, but I think yzerman will be qualified by then too.... I think he'll keep improving as a GM and at least be considered for the position when Kenny calls it quits, that's all I'm saying.