• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWingNation43

Wings Looking For Defenseman

Rate this topic

I don't think it makes sense to give away Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, or Howard. As far as I'm concerned they are the four untouchables. That makes Franzen and Fil our two highest-value players as trade bait. I'm actually not even comfortable with trading away Fil given his great year last year. I wonder if maybe this team could work out? Brendan Smith's first full year as a Red Wing. Worst case scenerio we finish poorly, get a good draft pick, and use some cap space to get a good free agent defenseman. I know that failed last year, but I still have trust in Ken Holland. It could be a tough road, or maybe it will just be some years of having to fight for the last playoff spots.

Filppula has essentially no trade value because he's a free agent next year.

Not to mention he is a big spot-picking doucher.

At this point I'll take a spot picking doucher over the team full of children or mediocre hacks that currently reside in on our defense corps. Like him or no, he's a first rate talent and could definitely help us if the price is right.

Keep in mind Subban is unsigned. Fil isn't worth subban but subban doesn't have full trade value here.

Right, I wasn't talking about a Filppula for Subban trade specifically, I was more commenting on the fact that people keep saying the only players we've got with trade value are Filppula and Franzen, and only half of that is true. But yes, Subban isn't signed either, so he's less valuable as well.

fayne would be a great pick up if we could swing it. Big young RH shot Dmen. American to boot! But I doubt that even would cross Holland's mind.....

Yea, because Holland would never trade assets... It's not like we've only had 4 first round draft picks since 2000 because Holland hates to trade right?

Fayne's not on the radar because there is no way in hell New Jersey will let him go, he's on a great contract, been with them the entire time, is getting more and more ice time each year. They would move Volechenkov, or Tallinder first.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

that "spot-picking doucher" would be the best defenseman on the wings in no time flat.

too bad he'll never be traded here.

Subban doesn't play defense. If you're OK with defining the best dman on the team as a guy who is just flashy then cool but I'd like my guys to play a little more defense.

What we're going through is what every team is going through who doesn't possess Suter, Weber, Chara or maybe Pietrangelo. We're realizing that this league is in a serious elite defenseman drought and getting one is tough as hell. It may be best to load up on a ton of Bs instead of looking for one A. Or something like that.

Subban doesn't play defense.

you are clueless.

you are clueless.

Plus the fact that we're short on goal power means that we don't want a d-man that can score goals. OK!

I don't see Holland as being aggressive enough to pull this off, though. Maybe only after a call from Mr. I.

you are clueless.

Nah, not really. I'll be more specific-for the rep he's acquired, he's not a great defender in his own end. He's alright, and it's easy to miss with his speed and whatnot but he doesn't play D any better than Kronwall. The guy is overrated. He looks like some other players who, and this doesn't just go for hockey, are athletic as hell and that can carry you pretty far but eventually he'll make some bumble assed mistake that makes you scratch your head, that a natural defenseman wouldn't have made. Plunk the kid next to a seriously responsible dman and you might have a great pairing but for what he's demanding in cash he can become a salary problem for someone else. Just like his brother-everyone loves the kid but he's overrated.

this:

"for the rep he's acquired, he's not a great defender in his own end"

is simply incorrect. i'll give you a pass on that one. but what you initially said:

"Subban doesn't play defense"

was flat out wrong and uninformed - no way around it.

this:

"for the rep he's acquired, he's not a great defender in his own end"

is simply incorrect. i'll give you a pass on that one. but what you initially said:

"Subban doesn't play defense"

was flat out wrong and uninformed - no way around it.

Hence why I said I'd be more specific. I got lazy, big deal. He's really, really good 1 on 1. That's a great asset to have as a defender. And he's a good penalty killer. Not great but pretty good. But what gets me is people stop there. What about his ridiculous pinches that hurt the team? Or when he's defending a rush and refuses to play the puck and gets burned? What about during extended (not just quick) stays in the defensive zone where he'll flat out just lose his guy like misplaced car keys? There's an argument here but it's not about those things, he does those things and for what he's asking, no way. The argument to have is whether or not his competitiveness, skating and offensive potential outweigh those things. And on our team with our roster, I'd go more for someone a little different.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

I for one have always like Subban, and thought he could become a top 2 pairing Dman.

With that being said - he has come across as a doucher from time to time while on the ice, and now he's becomming a doucher off the ice with this contract squabble.

He's only been in the "bigs" for a few seasons; he wants to get the long term contract with big $$$ as though he just won the Norris Trophy...Mind you this is his stance that he's taking with Montreal being his favorite team to watch while growing up...Just think how he'd act if it wasn't the Habs?

Gotta say as much as I like his ability - the doucher factor is too strong with this one.

There is no doubt he's got talent. Top pairing material. The doucher factor is too strong in this case. He could be even worse if he wasn't playing for his favorite childhood team. The guy is putting his bank account before his team. Sign something and get out there and play. I doubt he's gonna starve if he has to take $750,000 less than he'd like.

Yea, because Holland would never trade assets... It's not like we've only had 4 first round draft picks since 2000 because Holland hates to trade right?

Fayne's not on the radar because there is no way in hell New Jersey will let him go, he's on a great contract, been with them the entire time, is getting more and more ice time each year. They would move Volechenkov, or Tallinder first.

NJ needs O. For the right deal anyone can be moved. We need RH Dmen in the worst way. Young ones at that....

Seriously, why not look at dealing Dats for a young, franchise d-man? His contract is up at the end of next season and I honestly think he'll go back to Russia at that point. It was clearly tough for him to leave when the lockout ended. Almost every team would be willing to deal for a season and a half of Datsyuk.

Seriously, why not look at dealing Dats for a young, franchise d-man? His contract is up at the end of next season and I honestly think he'll go back to Russia at that point. It was clearly tough for him to leave when the lockout ended. Almost every team would be willing to deal for a season and a half of Datsyuk.

Because part of what makes our team appealing to players is that we don't do stuff like that.

Ah, yes, that old argument. That point sure appealed to Parise and Suter.

Yeah, because a couple players chose to play together in Minnesota that erases the appeal of our team. That's broken logic. Sorry I'm usually pretty civil but that's just dumb.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

While I'll be the 1st to admit that Dats would be bringing some serious talent to Detroit - it seems that Holland & Co just don't work that way.

Now if Scotty Bowman were our GM - then I could see how a guy like Dats may be used to bring in fresh talent.

To be honest - I dunno if Detroit has that "shine" anymore.

We'll see this summer.

Bring back Stevie Y and the shine will return. This season and offseason is make-or-break time for Kenny.

You can't tell me the kids wouldn't want to work for Yzerman. Remember how Schultz signed in Edmonton because Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey went to his house to convince him?

It's a cost/benefit thing. Is it worth the cost to acquire a premium power forward and top 2 defenseman if the upside is simply making the 2nd round of the playoffs? Or is Kenny better off letting the team
sink/swim and deciding half way through the season if the Pittsburgh/LA/Chicago "tank to win" strategy is best employed here.

People seem to be ignoring one fact: Kenny just might be letting the team dictate what happens. If the Wings look like they're still going to be able to compete for Cups he'll move assets for players to shore things up. If it's clear this team needs a full rebuild he's better off standing pat and letting the chips fall where they fall.

I'm really not interested in watching this team flop in the 1st or 2nd round until Datsyuk and Zetterberg are past their useful years. If the Wings can't legitimately compete for the Cup it's time to get the kind of
draft picks required to do so.

Datsyuk is a franchise player. The only way he'll go back to Russia after his contract is over is if he feels like he's got nothing left to achieve here in the NHL. He loved player in Russia near his home town and he's a patriotic guy but he's also a competitive person who loves to play at the highest level.

I'm sure he'll end up retiring in the KHL but I don't buy that he'll jet for the KHL when his current contract is up.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Bring back Stevie Y and the shine will return. This season and offseason is make-or-break time for Kenny.

You can't tell me the kids wouldn't want to work for Yzerman. Remember how Schultz signed in Edmonton because Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey went to his house to convince him?

That's why Shultz Parise and Suter all signed with Tampa Bay.

Just joking around. The culture of smart, classy, and respectful management that has attracted talent for so long is still intact. If the Wings demonstrate that our prospects will ensure future success, despite drafting late, then Detroit will remain an attractive destination.

Guest The Axe

That's why Shultz Parise and Suter all signed with Tampa Bay.

Just joking around. The culture of smart, classy, and respectful management that has attracted talent for so long is still intact. If the Wings demonstrate that our prospects will ensure future success, despite drafting late, then Detroit will remain an attractive destination.

I dont feel this way