• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedWingNation43

Wings Looking For Defenseman

Rate this topic

Corvo was a healthy scratch for the Canes tonight, making $2 mill/yr. I would take a chance.

Honestly I think we are ok on bottom pairing guys, we have more than enough, we need that 22-30 minute guy to play with Kronwall. Corvo's not it.

That's why Shultz Parise and Suter all signed with Tampa Bay.

Just joking around. The culture of smart, classy, and respectful management that has attracted talent for so long is still intact. If the Wings demonstrate that our prospects will ensure future success, despite drafting late, then Detroit will remain an attractive destination.

Yzerman in Tampa is completely different than Yzerman in Detroit, and you know that lol.

Guest The Axe

Filppula + Ericsson + Kindl + Nyquist + 4 French hookers + a Subway sandwich (foot-long, Italian bread, not toasted, the works) for Girardi.

What if they sue for the sandwich size? Better make it Quiznos.

Guest The Axe

While I agree that we really need a top pairing Dman - I just don't see Holland making much of an effort to get one right now...UFA in July is when Holland will try to lure fresh blood to Detroit.

Between Cola being on IR, and keeping Kindl off the ice it might be a decent move to acquire Corvo.

Holland acquires old guys other teams dont want.

The Wings haven't been great the last three years. Having a club treat you right doesn't cancel a player's desire to win. The Wings haven't stood out for a while, so yeah the shine is diminished.

But let's not forget Surer was all set to come here until Parise went with Minnesota. Then it was all about family and friends, which no one van compete with. Holland needs to aggressively seek out talent to send a message that he won't accept even a temporary decline in quality. This summer will be critical.

And why do people think Datsyuk won't want to return? I was always under the impression there was nothing left for him in Russia and he liked it here.

The Wings haven't been great the last three years. Having a club treat you right doesn't cancel a player's desire to win. The Wings haven't stood out for a while, so yeah the shine is diminished.

But let's not forget Surer was all set to come here until Parise went with Minnesota. Then it was all about family and friends, which no one van compete with. Holland needs to aggressively seek out talent to send a message that he won't accept even a temporary decline in quality. This summer will be critical.

And why do people think Datsyuk won't want to return? I was always under the impression there was nothing left for him in Russia and he liked it here.

Oh, you know... just his family and millions of untaxed dollars. ;)

ON TOPIC: I think Holland is going to roll with what we've got for the time being and we'll see any other movement and acquisitions when teams start to worry about getting cap compliant for next year.

Edited by e_prime

Guest The Axe

If Corvo was sitting in the press box isn't that indicative that he's rather low on their Dmen list?

Maybe I'm missing the key point of your post, but I'm under the impression that Corvo might be the type of player Holland would be interested in.

My point is that we need to start thinking about guys like Yandle. Not Corvo.

His daughter is in Russia so he doesn't really get to see her during the season. A lot of family and friends too but in some thread people posted articles about him talking about his daughter.

"And why do people think Datsyuk won't want to return? I was always under the impression there was nothing left for him in Russia and he liked it here."

I've seen it written that Pavel has said he wants to play his last years in Russia, and that he wanted to retire by age 40. I have not seen the actual quotes, just writers saying he has said it.

Watched Bouwmeester last night. He looked really good.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=652681

In retrospect, too bad we couldn't have packaged Hudler into a blockbuster trade to Calgary...but who knew.

Edited by T.Low

"And why do people think Datsyuk won't want to return? I was always under the impression there was nothing left for him in Russia and he liked it here."

I've seen it written that Pavel has said he wants to play his last years in Russia, and that he wanted to retire by age 40. I have not seen the actual quotes, just writers saying he has said it.

Watched Bouwmeester last night. He looked really good.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=652681

In retrospect, too bad we couldn't have packaged Hudler into a blockbuster trade to Calgary...but who knew.

I agree, we should have signed Huds to whatever contract he wanted and then packaged him and traded for jbo

Watch the Western Michigan v. Michigan game last night (Western won 5-1) and got to watch Dan Dekeyser play like he is definitely ready for the NHL. (didn't know he was a junior though) This year more than any he would be able to step right into the Wings lineup after his season is over. I certainly hope Holland doesn't miss out on him, like he did with Schultz....at least with Dekeyser, the Red Wings ARE on his short list of teams he wants to play for...lets just hope Holland doesn't screw the pooch.... I think dumping Kindl and signing Dekeyser would be the obvious thing to do....

Kronwall - Huskins

Smith - Ericsson

White - Dekeyser

Cola

(when healthy)

Of course Lashoff has more than earned a spot on this team , but can be safely sent to GR until the roster limits are lifted...he has earned a spot on next years team as well and should be awarded so.

I agree, we should have signed Huds to whatever contract he wanted and then packaged him and traded for jbo

I couldn't get past the words "Signed Huds to whatever contract he wanted...." without getting nauseous...whew I am glad you added the words "then traded..."

Watch the Western Michigan v. Michigan game last night (Western won 5-1) and got to watch Dan Dekeyser play like he is definitely ready for the NHL. (didn't know he was a junior though) This year more than any he would be able to step right into the Wings lineup after his season is over. I certainly hope Holland doesn't miss out on him, like he did with Schultz....at least with Dekeyser, the Red Wings ARE on his short list of teams he wants to play for...lets just hope Holland doesn't screw the pooch.... I think dumping Kindl and signing Dekeyser would be the obvious thing to do....

Agreed. We need this kid to come to Detroit. If we aren't going to be trading for talent on D and obviously this year's UFA class is terrible for dmen, we need acquisitions like this to make up for it.

Agreed. We need this kid to come to Detroit. If we aren't going to be trading for talent on D and obviously this year's UFA class is terrible for dmen, we need acquisitions like this to make up for it.

yes, agreed totally!

Here is what I am liking next season for a D-Core....(assuming the Wings do not tank and score Jones and they do not trade Ericsson.) I am betting on either trading Kindl or just not re-signing him. I am also nicely impressed with Huskins, so I would re-sign him. I believe they will part ways with Ian White or he will want to go elsewhere because Lashoff is ready. Buyouts of Sammy (on the O) and Cola (just too injury prone) this summer...

Kronwall - Ericsson

Smith - Lashoff

Dekeyser - Huskins

(another #6/#7 UFA or kid)

IF they do not tank the season and still get in the top 16 to 20, I am going to hold on hope that Holland drafts one of Robert Hagg/Ryan Pulock or Josh Morrissey. I like him at #16, but not at #2...ISS has him listed at #12 along with Pulock at #17 and Morrissey #20.

Pulock has the most mass at 6' 211lbs. but Holland loves his Swedish defensemen and at 6'2 200lbs. if Hagg happened to drop to Detroit, I have no doubt he'd take him...although I think Pulock would be great here. (plus he is Right Handed)

Edited by LeftWinger

Speaking of Red Wings and defensemen, I always liked Steve Chiasson when he was here, and although he was the main piece in the Mike Vernon deal, I wish he was able to be part of that 1997 and 1998 Cup team...Speaking of Steve, on a side note to the Western v. Michigan game, it's nice to see his son following in his footsteps. Mike Chiasson, who was 8 when his father died in that car crash, plays of The University of Michigan. I am not sure if he has been drafted but he looked pretty solid last night before Western opened up the whoop ass...

The Wings could use a defender the likes of Chiasson right now...I remeber Chiasson and Vladdy playing together as a pair and totaling destroying opposing players.

Edited by LeftWinger

Kronwall - Huskins

Smith - Ericsson

White - Dekeyser

Cola

(when healthy)

Of course Lashoff has more than earned a spot on this team , but can be safely sent to GR until the roster limits are lifted...he has earned a spot on next years team as well and should be awarded so.

I couldn't get past the words "Signed Huds to whatever contract he wanted...." without getting nauseous...whew I am glad you added the words "then traded..."

As much as I like that pairing I would like to see the Wings get another top-2 D-Man.

We have around $19 Million freed up with 15 guys signed for next year even though we are going to need to re-sign Howard for sure and if Brunner keeps it up he will need to be re-signed.

Edited by IllinoisRedWingsFan

People keep saying if we tank we'll get Jones. I was under the impression with the lockout shortened season they are doing a lottery draft for the 14 teams that don't make the playoffs to stop teams from tanking late in the season to get the top picks

It would be our luck though; have a horrible season only to have someone like the Oilers, Jackets, or Pens manage to pick ahead of us, and get the star player that was destined to become a Red Wing :confused:

Yes, because the Red Wings have had such an unlucky history when it comes to the draft.

People keep saying if we tank we'll get Jones. I was under the impression with the lockout shortened season they are doing a lottery draft for the 14 teams that don't make the playoffs to stop teams from tanking late in the season to get the top picks

There are very good players other than Jones in the draft, when is Nicks son ready for the big show? I would be tremendously happy with MacKinnon too kid has star potential written all over him just like Jones.

Edited by frankgrimes