• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

#201 brandon27

brandon27

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

I won't believe Holland is serious about improving this team until Franzen and Flip are gone. Franzen because he deserves the boot and Flip because they don't want to let him go. It'll take one or both of those guys to land someone descent on D considering Flip's in the final year of a contract.

Id let Franzen go in a heartbeat...   for the right return.   Flip on the other hand...  I'd keep him.  I dont want to give him up.  He's good defensively, and offensively.   Franzen at this point... is soft... lazy... and not much time left... let him go.

Posted Image

#202 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

Id let Franzen go in a heartbeat...   for the right return.   Flip on the other hand...  I'd keep him.  I dont want to give him up.  He's good defensively, and offensively.   Franzen at this point... is soft... lazy... and not much time left... let him go.

What other NHL-ready talent do we have that would help us land a top-pairing defenseman? Not only that, there's a very good chance that we might not even be able to afford Flip next year with the new cap if he wants a big raise and we're still in desperate need to improve the defense.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#203 brandon27

brandon27

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

What other NHL-ready talent do we have that would help us land a top-pairing defenseman? Not only that, there's a very good chance that we might not even be able to afford Flip next year with the new cap if he wants a big raise and we're still in desperate need to improve the defense.

I think tatar, jurco, combined with a pick could land us top D.  Theres alot of potential there.   However, I think we can easily afford Filpulla.  He hasnt done enough anywhere statistically for alot of teams to offer him a big money deal.  Some may if they actually realize his talent, but I think he stays.

Posted Image

#204 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

I think tatar, jurco, combined with a pick could land us top D.  Theres alot of potential there.   However, I think we can easily afford Filpulla.  He hasnt done enough anywhere statistically for alot of teams to offer him a big money deal.  Some may if they actually realize his talent, but I think he stays.

No way on the 1st. It's a nice idea, but just no way. Not even close to enough NHL experience. If a team is going to move a top-pairing guy, they're going to want someone who can come in and contribute right away, not a guy that hasn't played an NHL game and another with a handful. To get a real meaningful, impact player, I think Holland's going to have to ship out Franzen, Flip and a prospect, possibly a pick too. Don't forget the desperate position we're in either. No one's going to go out of their way to give us a great deal, hence why I and others have been hoping Holland would've been smarter about making adjustments the last four years so we wouldn't be stuck in this position.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#205 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

I don't want to base everything off one game, but I feel pretty comfortable in saying that this defense has some major issues as many of us anticpated losing three top four d-men in two years. The Red Wings likely aren't a cup contender this season and the defense isn't going to get fixed through prospects already in the system. They also probably won't be as bad as tonight to receive a high draft pick and get an impact player right away.

I mentioned it in the GDT and I believe the Red Wings need to call up the forwards (namely Nyquist and Tatar, maybe Andersson) that are NHL ready or close to it and see what they have now. The top-six is devoid of skill and players that can generate offense outside of Datsyuk and Zetterberg and opponents can take them away easier without worrying about secondary threats. There's too much old and slow up front on this roster. I appreciate what Cleary, Bertuzzi and Samuelsson have done as Red Wings, but their purposes were better served on a team that was competing for championships. Not to mention, age has caught up to all three lately. They don't have trade value, so they likely play out their expiring contracts or maybe get bought out.

The only two forwards that might be attractive trade options at forward are Filppula and Franzen. I think now is the time Holland has to pursue and obtain a legitimate d-man. Striking out in free agency can happen as we've seen and the market is thin this summer anyways. A package centered around one or both of Filppula and Franzen (plus other prospects) gets you an extremely necessary piece on defense and provides the opportunity to assess the prospects at forward in those vacant spots. Nyquist and Tatar are blocked by a glut up front, yet the current crop of forwards in the top-six is aging and struggles to score goals when it matters.

Holland has to take a risk since the Red Wings are in transition. It is a retool of sorts on the fly, while also providing an opportunity to build for the future. I don't think you can go forward with this group of d-men and expect to go deep in the playoffs again soon. Use an area of strength to fix a weakness, since solutions don't appear to be there internally. Smith is promising and maybe Quincey/Ericsson are adequate in lesser roles, but it's pretty clear the Red Wings have in no way replaced the departures of Lidstrom, Rafalski and Stuart. There needs to be serious exploring for a top pairing d-man by Holland very soon.

Edited by GoWings1905, 20 January 2013 - 12:38 AM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#206 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

i think if after tonights game was a sign of things to come, then yeah definately loook into some trading or release someone/sign free agents. but its just one game. if things continue to go back and the defense doesnt do well at all then yeah, its something defintately to look into. 

#207 mule

mule

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

If the Wings stand pat we'll be well on our way to acquiring a replacement for Lidstrom... Seth Jones!!!

#208 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

Title should be:

Red Wings looking for 4 defensemen

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="mule" data-cid="2342564" data-time="1358686843"><p>
If the Wings stand pat we'll be well on our way to acquiring a replacement for Lidstrom... Seth Jones!!!</p></blockquote>

McKinnon or Jones?
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#209 mule

mule

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Title should be:

Red Wings looking for 4 defensemen

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="mule" data-cid="2342564" data-time="1358686843"><p>
If the Wings stand pat we'll be well on our way to acquiring a replacement for Lidstrom... Seth Jones!!!</p></blockquote>

McKinnon or Jones?

Well unless MacKinnon drastically changes his game and becomes a defenceman I don't think he could replace Lidstrom on the back end.

#210 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Dats is 35... I wasn't impressed with Jones play at WJ and MacKinnon is just too good to pass on.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#211 mule

mule

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Dats is 35... I wasn't impressed with Jones play at WJ and MacKinnon is just too good to pass on.

I agree but I thought we were talking about the Wings needing defencemen in this thread and Lidstrom being replaced. Regardless, we both know there's no way the Wings end up with a top three pick so they won't be getting either of these players.

#212 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

What's my boy Mathieu Dandenault up to lately?

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#213 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

He's TVA sports analyst... or maybe RDS

#214 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

I can't believe I'm gonna say this: but even Komisarek would be huge upgrade on def at this point.

#215 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,388 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Subban?

#216 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Dats is 35...

Is he really? Could've sworn he was 34.

Oh well. Just that much meh-er.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#217 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I'd like to move for a dman of the future. I'd see what we could do with Phoenix. They are the perfect trading partner at this point. They have a massively deep D and need some better forwards. I would try to get one of:

Brandon Gormley

David Rundblad

Connor Murphy

All these guys are pretty much like Smith in that they are ready for NHL but not much experience. I think one of these guys could become a big part of our blueline for the future rather than trading for an aging player. We AREN'T going to get a current top Dman - we don't have the assets. I think the Franzen/Flip kind of deal would work here. Or Tatar + High Pick would also work. I'd be very against trading our first rounder this early though.

EDIT: Hell I'd even throw in a vet like Cleary or Bert on top of a fair deal if they wanted them to reduce the logjam at forward. This type of trade is the only thing that makes sense to me. We aren't one dman away from cup contender. Making this trade makes us better for the future, not today, but it would be a price that is affordable.

Edited by dirtydangles, 20 January 2013 - 04:27 PM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#218 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,736 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

I am throwing my eggs in the rookie basket and acquiring Visnovsky

Kronwall - Visnovsky

Smith - White

Ouellet - Sproul

Cola

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#219 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Subban?

I was just thinking the same thing. Not much else on the market so why not throw an offer sheet at PK. Even if the Habs match, it sends a strong message to the Wings D that either you start to play or your gone. Holland has been way to loyal and players are too comfortable. A shake up is needed if things don't improve soon.

#220 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Ken Holland? Offer sheet? WARNING! Reconciliation impossible. Catastrophic system error. 10101010. Commence self-implosion process now. Beep-bop-boop. BOOM.

Don't Toews me, bro!