• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

#241 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Yeah that roster was unbelievable loaded at every position, but GREAT players don't make a GREAT team ask the canadian WJC u20 squad. Does Yzerman have ways to go? You bet, but he has 4 years to prove himself that is the time when Hollands contract is up and Yzerman could be had at that time. Keep in mind he is working under an internal budget in Tampa and has to revamp their whole defense with not many great players avaiable: I have a lot of trust in this guy and I think he will be the GM of the Wings at some point, at least he will be better than the other option Jim Nill.

No they don't have an internal salary floor in Tampa.  Their payroll is higher than the Red Wings. http://www.capgeek.com/

And what does Jim Nill have to do to deserve a little credit? I mean what has that guy ever done aside from play a primary role in scouting, drafting, and developing every Red Wings prospect since 1994 in his role as director of amateur scouting; the list of which includes Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Filppula, Franzen, Kronwall, Smith, Nyquist, Helm, Abdelkader, etc. 

Yeah, Yzerman is obviously the better choice. 

Edited by kipwinger, 21 January 2013 - 07:10 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#242 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

By not making the playoffs last season in spite of inheriting a team with 4 of its top six forwards in place AND its franchise defenseman?  Or by signing Matt Carle and Sami Salo to contracts that pretty much everyone around LGW agreed were horrible?

Yzerman stepped on to a team that already had St. Louis, Stamkos, Lecavalier, Ryan Malone, and Victor Hedman.  His primary acquisitions thus far have been Carle, Salo, Simon Gagne, Dwayne Roloson, and Benoit Pouliot.  Two of which don't play there anymore. 

Again, he's got a long way to go before anyone can consider him a top GM in this league, and longer to go before he's qualified to be the GM of the Red Wings.

they weren't the best moves by a GM but carle and salo add defensive depth, something that can be hard to come by.. and yea, the contracts weren't the best but it's also in a market where just about every free agent is getting over paid. I also like the addition of Lindback, he's young and has potential. also, tampa is a team that has struggled to make the playoffs a lot in recent years despite having a group of all stars on the team. I'm not saying his time there so far has proved he's an elite GM, I'm just saying I think he has them going in the right direction and will prove himself in the next few seasons. 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#243 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

they weren't the best moves by a GM but carle and salo add defensive depth, something that can be hard to come by.. and yea, the contracts weren't the best but it's also in a market where just about every free agent is getting over paid. I also like the addition of Lindback, he's young and has potential. also, tampa is a team that has struggled to make the playoffs a lot in recent years despite having a group of all stars on the team. I'm not saying his time there so far has proved he's an elite GM, I'm just saying I think he has them going in the right direction and will prove himself in the next few seasons. 

Well I'll definitely agree with you about the Lindback move, that was a good one.  Had he not filled his glaring hole at goalie my case for Yzerman as a not very good GM would be all but airtight.  Time will tell with Stevie Y, but given his track record with scouting, drafting, and developing players I think Jim Nill is MUCH more qualified for the position when Ken Holland retires, and the every available fact seems to back that up.  

Edited by kipwinger, 21 January 2013 - 07:15 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#244 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Well I'll definitely agree with you about the Lindback move, that was a good one.  Had he not filled his glaring hole at goalie my case for Yzerman as a not very good GM would be all but airtight.  Time will tell with Stevie Y, but given his track record with scouting, drafting, and developing players I think Jim Nill is MUCH more qualified for the position when Ken Holland retires, and the every available fact seems to back that up.  

I'd agree that Nill is more qualified right now, and could very well be the next GM of the detroit red wings; I'm not disputing that. Nill could be more qualified in four years as well, but I think yzerman will be qualified by then too.... I think he'll keep improving as a GM and at least be considered for the position when Kenny calls it quits, that's all I'm saying.   

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#245 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Fair enough, as I said, time will tell.

#246 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Subban

Volchenkov

Ellerby

Don't Toews me, bro!

#247 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Subban

Volchenkov

Ellerby

I like Volchenkov, and Ellerby.  Subban, I could take or leave.  He's a good player and all, but I'm not worried about our defensemen scoring, I'm worried about physical/shutdown play, and the PK.  Volchenkov for sure.  Or maybe Robyn Regehr.  That guy's a beast too.

#248 Cruiser008

Cruiser008

Headed to the Rafters

• Silver Booster
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Wings need to look harder.  Our D is atrocious right now... like 1980s bad.

#249 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Yea, I'm on the Volchenkov bandwagon. Get it done Kenny. We need some defensive depth with all these injuries. I want Holland to make a move to make us better not bide time.

#250 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,394 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

I think the looking needs to hit desperation levels now. An already thin defense is depleted. Volchenkov would be excellent.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#251 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Any chance Kenny can throw some big money at Dan DeKeyser to get him to leave Western now?  He couldn't look any worse than Quincey has been on the 2nd pairing could he?

#252 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Here’s a fun game. Write down a list of defensemen that could be had for Nyquist and a 1st round pick. Remember, Detroit’s first round pick this year might be a top 10 through 15 pick. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#253 sjr2013

sjr2013

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Yea, I'm on the Volchenkov bandwagon. Get it done Kenny. We need some defensive depth with all these injuries. I want Holland to make a move to make us better not bide time.

ken hollan d was on the radio today and said his just fine with the d he feels they are good and will improve and doesnt see any reason to doubt them  so that there states there wont be any moves i think we al need to accept that this is what we are going to get sadly because either he is to affaid to move anyone or just lazy

Edited by sjr2013, 21 January 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#254 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

I like Volchenkov, and Ellerby.  Subban, I could take or leave.  He's a good player and all, but I'm not worried about our defensemen scoring, I'm worried about physical/shutdown play, and the PK.  Volchenkov for sure.  Or maybe Robyn Regehr.  That guy's a beast too.

I recommended Regehr awhile back. Crymson yelled at me and I cried and I have not spoken of the matter since then.

I share your concerns. We need an ass-kicker. We need a down-shutter.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#255 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

ken hollan d was on the radio today and said his just fine with the d he feels they are good and will improve and doesnt see any reason to doubt them  so that there states there wont be any moves i think we al need to accept that this is what we are going to get sadly because either he is to affaid to move anyone or just lazy

Called posturing, he's not going to come right now and say we need defensive help, because that would only hurt him when he talks to other teams. I think he's hand will be forced with the injuries.

On another note, keep in mind we'll probably have to overpay significantly to get a top 4 defensive guy. They seem to be rare these days, and if Quincey was had for a first rounder you can imagine what a player like Volchenkov will demand.

#256 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Called posturing, he's not going to come right now and say we need defensive help, because that would only hurt him when he talks to other teams. I think he's hand will be forced with the injuries.

On another note, keep in mind we'll probably have to overpay significantly to get a top 4 defensive guy. They seem to be rare these days, and if Quincey was had for a first rounder you can imagine what a player like Volchenkov will demand.

I really don't think we would have to "overpay" for a top four.  We got Brad Stuart for a 2nd and a 4th round pick wasn't it?  The thing that makes defensemen expensive is if they score a lot of points.  Get a big bodied, shut down, defenseman like Stuart was and they come fairly cheap because they rarely score.

Edited by kipwinger, 22 January 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#257 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Apparently we're working on signing someone.
http://www.freep.com...roit Red Wings)

#258 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Holland's been on the phone for the past two hours trying to get a "veteran defenseman" for tonight's game against Dallas.

I'm calling it. It's Lilja.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#259 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Garbage in, garbage out.  If it's a veteran free agent who isn't currently signed with anyone, then there's probably a reason for that.  Need to make a trade and bring someone in that's worth a damn. 

Haha, just thought of something.  It's probably Mike F'king Commodore.

In this case "veteran" better mean a 29-32 year old and not a 36-38 year old or I'm going to be pissed. 

#260 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

So could the wings do ok with 2 trains on the team? Toots and Pain train!?!? hahahahaha I have a sick feeling it's going to be lilja.  Karen will be happy.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY