367 replies to this topic

#41 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

lol

JBo's offensive output hasn't been worth his pay cheque in years.  He gets more mins in Calgary than he would here, so why would you assume his production would increase significantly?  The difference in mins should make up for the small difference in systems

Wings were the 8th best in goals per game, and Calgary was 6th worst. I don't think it's a stretch to say the Red Wings have a better offensive hockey club.

Anyways, Bouwmeester's production isn't what I'd want him for, he helped the penalty kill a ton, something that is important for the Red Wings, especially with losing Lidstrom(who played about 1 minute a game), and Stuart(who was our main penalty killer). I just think he would flourish with the Wings, Calgary plays a passive, trap oriented system. The Red Wings transition game would translate better with Jbow's speed and pass. I just don't think it's a good fit with him in Calgary. I agree though, I really don't like his contract, but let's not act like Yandle's is much better, about 1 million dollars cheaper and 2 years longer.

#42 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I would LOVE to get Yandle. However I fear it will be at too great a cost.

be about it!

#43 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Wings are looking for a defenseman, Sergei Fedorov is thinking of making a comeback as a player.  Go with what you know Kenny!  :eh:

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#44 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Wings are looking for a defenseman, Sergei Fedorov is thinking of making a comeback as a player.  Go with what you know Kenny!  :eh:

Pardon my ignorance, but are you serious about Feds wanting to return to the NHL?

If so.....If I were Holland - I'd def offer Feds a camp invite.....That guy was amazing when playing on our blueline; a 4th forward on the rush, and a guy capable of breaking up a play at any given time.....Something tells me he might've won a Norris Trophy, or two had he stayed back there.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#45 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,700 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but are you serious about Feds wanting to return to the NHL?

If so.....If I were Holland - I'd def offer Feds a camp invite.....That guy was amazing when playing on our blueline; a 4th forward on the rush, and a guy capable of breaking up a play at any given time.....Something tells me he might've won a Norris Trophy, or two had he stayed back there.

I haven't heard anything about Fedorov making a comeback, I though he was happy being GM of CSKA.  Funny though, I too would welcome Feds back for this short season. But at 43, I'd moreso like to see him comeback in a scout/coaching position. I am still waiting for the time when our coaching staff exists of Larionov and Fetisov...

edit: On topic, I too think that the best thing to try to do is get Visnovsky off the Island (if we could convince him to play here.)  Yandle/JBo/Burns/et al. would cost way too much! Besides there will be more than a few available as UFA too come summer...

Edited by LeftWinger, 14 January 2013 - 03:43 PM.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#46 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

He wants to play in the KHL...specifically to fill the void that Datsyuk left on the team Fedorov manages.

http://www.mlive.com...ings_great.html

#47 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Well - I do agree with you that's he isn't cheap (salary that is), nor will he come to Detroit cheap (although ya never know what the Flames will take in return)  - however where else can Holland find a good puck moving Dman capable of playing top pairing minutes?

Unfortunately if Holland is gonna look for a legit #1/#2 Dman - he's gonna have to pay in one way, or another.

Bouwmeester would be only a very minor upgrade on Quincey. For the assets and cap space we'd lose, no thanks.

Wings were the 8th best in goals per game, and Calgary was 6th worst. I don't think it's a stretch to say the Red Wings have a better offensive hockey club.

Anyways, Bouwmeester's production isn't what I'd want him for, he helped the penalty kill a ton, something that is important for the Red Wings, especially with losing Lidstrom(who played about 1 minute a game), and Stuart(who was our main penalty killer). I just think he would flourish with the Wings, Calgary plays a passive, trap oriented system. The Red Wings transition game would translate better with Jbow's speed and pass. I just don't think it's a good fit with him in Calgary. I agree though, I really don't like his contract, but let's not act like Yandle's is much better, about 1 million dollars cheaper and 2 years longer.

Bouwmeester isn't an elite defenseman.

#48 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Bouwmeester isn't an elite defenseman.

Agreed, he hasn't played like one since he was with Florida. He would most likely cost too much for me to be interested as well. But I just can't help but feel that Bouwmeester would be such a good fit with Kronwall and the Red Wings. The reach, skating ability, positional awareness, and pass all are strengths that Bouwmeester still has. Yes his numbers have not been good, yes he is not worth 6+ million a year. But he's not Wade Redden, he's still top pairing guy, that plays 82 games every year and plays every facet of the game. He would be a better fit than Yandle, Yandle is a very good to elite defenseman, but he is purely offensive, much like Kronwall, he doesn't play the penalty kill, he won't block shots, he's not overly physical(granted Bouwmeester isn't either).

Yandle just doesn't fill a need for me with this current red wings defense, I don't think him and Kronwall's game mesh well enough they are too similar in taking offensive risks, we desperately need a top 4 guy that can kill penalties, play on the powerplay, stay healthy and be a rock for 20+ minutes a game.

#49 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Just read a very short article in THN that said NJ is looking for offense.  I'm not familiar with their D, do they have anyone that would make them a good trade partner?

http://www.thehockey...on-offence.html

#50 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,700 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Just read a very short article in THN that said NJ is looking for offense.  I'm not familiar with their D, do they have anyone that would make them a good trade partner?

http://www.thehockey...on-offence.html

I wouldn't mind hometown hero Andy Greene playing here.  I do not think they would trade Volchenkov...all depends who is on the block from Detroit.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#51 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Larsson would be my choice. Likely have to give up too much though.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#52 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

Flip and Nyquist for Yandle. Done.

#53 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Flip and Nyquist for Yandle. Done.

too high of a price tag for him IMO.

start lower.

first off...acquire a solid contributor for back up D ( campoli / jurcina)

then i would kick the tires on OEL (i know...its a reach)

bogozian

visnovsky

jack johnson ( another reach)

yandle

but you never know...get a general manager off his meds at the right time....

BINGO!

Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#54 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Over pay for Edler in free agency.

bringit.jpg

#55 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

I'm curious. For all the people who are insisting with aggressive opinions that Yandle and/or Bouwmeester are elite/suck/average/etc...how many people actually consistently watch either of them? I know just typing "I dunno" isn't as fun but really how much do we know?

I think the proof is all over the place. I've lurked around on a lot of Wings forums and if you want a good laugh, go look at some of the know-it-alls insisting smugly that Ian White was garbage and shouldn't be here. I saw people questioning Dan Cleary, with the usual illogical "well he sucked before, he can't ever be good somewhere else" stupidity. I've seen people chew crow on signings or trades so often I just laugh when we wipe our memories and have another go at playing pretend expert like it never happened. 

And for anyone who might actually watch either of the two consistently, not to sound like a dick but how many would even be able to judge their ability to play or fit in here? We can hardly even make up our mind about our own players. It's one thing to simply state what you think but it's hilarious when people pursue silly shouting matches over guys they don't even watch. 

#56 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="irishock" data-cid="2340148" data-time="1358223520"><p>
Over pay for Edler in free agency.</p></blockquote>

Agreed. Would far rather explore this route than give up a ton for Yandle or Bouwmeester. I think Edler is better than both anyways.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#57 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

Holland should keep an eye out for Raphael Diaz (Montreal) He played with Hank and Brunner in Zug and was the best defenseman of the league. Great on the power play 

My wish: A healthy roster

#58 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

lol

JBo's offensive output hasn't been worth his pay cheque in years.  He gets more mins in Calgary than he would here, so why would you assume his production would increase significantly?  The difference in mins should make up for the small difference in systems

I'm not so sure if you can say more ice time = more points on a team like Calgary?

I'm thinking better group of skilled forwards + system that suits his style will = a more productive Bouwmeester if he were in Detroit.

#59 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

Good points.

#60 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

too high of a price tag for him IMO.

start lower.

first off...acquire a solid contributor for back up D ( campoli / jurcina)

then i would kick the tires on OEL (i know...its a reach)
bogozian
visnovsky
jack johnson ( another reach)
yandle

but you never know...get a general manager off his meds at the right time....
BINGO!

Bogosian is the most solid of all those blueliners, but after last season it's hard to think that the Jets will be letting him go anywhere. He'll likely be on the top pairing this year, he gets huge PP mins now that they know how lethal his shot is and he's a great shutdown guy too. I'd take him over Yandle any day of the week. Bogo and Smith would be a nasty 2nd pairing.

On a side note, I saw a dude in Superstore last night in Jets swag that looked exactly like him. I was gonna send the wife to see if it was him but then got distracted by food...

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.