I don't mind Smith in GR if Redden were to pan out. I don't like it but I view it the same way I view Nyquist starting in GR to begin the season. And I wouldn't mind losing Emmerton, since I don't think he has much of a future here anyway. He's got that feel to him like he'd do well on another team. Rare but it happens. And I've supported him and think we rip on him way too much. He's very solid defensively, doesn't make many mistakes and is a good but not great 4th line guy and sometimes that's all you need. But sometimes you take a chance if it's staring you in the face. At the end of the day, you don't base this decision on hope, you bring him in for a try out. See if he can still skate. I get this feeling if we signed another bottom six guy with some unfounded reputation for being "solid" for 1 year 700k we wouldn't have an issue with it. Or if we're paranoid, get him to sign a two way deal and tell him if he can play his way onto the team that he'll get a spot. It's Redden, it's not like he can be picky.
And yes, players coming to Detroit more often than not will play better. Just like any very good team. That's how hockey works and we've seen a ton of examples. Don't even try to claim otherwise. We're the reclamation destination of choice.
A few thoughts:
- To lose a player on waivers to bring in Redden would be a waste of resources. Use those resources instead (Emmerton, Mursak, or Kindl) to package with picks and/or prospects to bring in a proven NHL quality d-man to help the bottom pairing now.
- It's a 48 game season. Every game counts & if you get off to a slow start, your season my very well be over. Can you take the chance on giving regular ice time to a guy who hasn't proved he can hack it in the NHL since the 2007-08 season?
- Redden hasn't played since last season as he's not on the Whale's AHL roster this year. How many regular season games can you afford to give him to get into playing shape?
- At this point, Smith brings far greater value to the big club's lineup than Redden can. Hell, Mike Commodore would bring more value than Redden at this point.
- Two way deal? No, there will be some team (Islanders) that will give him a 1 way contract & a roster spot. Let him sign somewhere else.
Edited by ogreslayer, 15 January 2013 - 05:58 PM.