#121 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

Nyquist isn't Datsyuk. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#122 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

Lol no kidding

point is Nyquist won't be very effective against big hitting teams, but he won't improve if he doesn't gain more experience against those teams. Still think signing Sammy wasn't a bright move for Kenny to make, esp. when you have guys that have reached their max potential in the minors and need to get into the Major league.

Edited by irishock, 17 January 2013 - 01:06 AM.

bringit.jpg

#123 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

Emdog is bigger and faster than Nyquist

#124 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

Lol no kidding

point is Nyquist won't be very effective against big hitting teams, but he won't improve if he doesn't gain more experience against those teams. Still think signing Sammy wasn't a bright move for Kenny to make, esp. when you have guys that have reached their max potential in the minors and need to get into the Major league.

Put him on the same line with any of Lucic/Horton/Clowe/Hartnell/Backes...etc... and he will be effective 

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#125 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

I don't care what Illitch does with his money, as long as it results in a bolstered defence

and a Tigers World Series Championship

Call me crazy but I think the D isn't as bad as people think. Quincey, Smith, Kindl, and Ericsson are all over 6'0, Kronwall has people keeping their heads up, and White and Carlo chip in with skill.

You'd have to think Smith and Kindl are going to get better, Quincey was a very solid pick up, and Ericsson, as people have said in another discussion, played very well the last 2/3 of the season. Then there's Kronwall and White, we know what they're capable of.

Seriously, who could we get that's better than Kronwall, Quincey, Ericsson, White, or Smith without selling the farm? Defensemen, just like starting pitching in Baseball, are way over priced.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#126 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

and a Tigers World Series Championship

Call me crazy but I think the D isn't as bad as people think. Quincey, Smith, Kindl, and Ericsson are all over 6'0, Kronwall has people keeping their heads up, and White and Carlo chip in with skill.

You'd have to think Smith and Kindl are going to get better, Quincey was a very solid pick up, and Ericsson, as people have said in another discussion, played very well the last 2/3 of the season. Then there's Kronwall and White, we know what they're capable of.

Seriously, who could we get that's better than Kronwall, Quincey, Ericsson, White, or Smith without selling the farm? Defensemen, just like starting pitching in Baseball, are way over priced.

I am the one who keeps saying how great Big Rig was the last 2/3 of the season, he definitely did step up last year. I know Smith will be great too, the problem I have with our defense is Kindl. The kid is a liability everytime he touches the puck, hell he's a liability being on the ice in general. If Colo cannot stay healthy, mark my works our D is in trouble! He may be 6'3" 215lbs, but he doesn't use his size to his advantage at all, he doesn't shut down lanes, he doesn't get physical, he just goes out there and skates around for 30-40 seconds and goes back and sits down

#127 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Euro_Twins" data-cid="2340847" data-time="1358433113"><p>
 <br />
I am the one who keeps saying how great Big Rig was the last 2/3 of the season, he definitely did step up last year. I know Smith will be great too, the problem I have with our defense is Kindl. The kid is a liability everytime he touches the puck, hell he's a liability being on the ice in general. If Colo cannot stay healthy, mark my works our D is in trouble! He may be 6'3" 215lbs, but he doesn't use his size to his advantage at all, he doesn't shut down lanes, he doesn't get physical, he just goes out there and skates around for 30-40 seconds and goes back and sits down</p></blockquote>

Relax on Kindl. He's cheap, young, and has big upside cause he can skate and see the ice well. Its not like the coaches are giving him 25 minutes per night. They are using him as 6/7 in hopes he will acclimate and develop. Makes sense, right?

#128 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

I am the one who keeps saying how great Big Rig was the last 2/3 of the season, he definitely did step up last year. I know Smith will be great too, the problem I have with our defense is Kindl. The kid is a liability everytime he touches the puck, hell he's a liability being on the ice in general. If Colo cannot stay healthy, mark my works our D is in trouble! He may be 6'3" 215lbs, but he doesn't use his size to his advantage at all, he doesn't shut down lanes, he doesn't get physical, he just goes out there and skates around for 30-40 seconds and goes back and sits down

Yeah dude seriously, if Kindl is your biggest problem with the defense then our defense is stellar.  Kindl will hardly play this year and has essentially zero responsibilities.  He's not expected to score, he's not expected to shutdown top flight guys, he's not expected to kill penalties, or man the power play. 

Why is he your biggest concern?

Now, if you were worried about the fact that we don't have a single defenseman capable of shutting down top forwards I'd agree with you.

Edited by kipwinger, 17 January 2013 - 11:38 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#129 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2340877" data-time="1358438868"><p>
 <br />
Yeah dude seriously, if Kindl is your biggest problem with the defense then our defense is stellar.  Kindl will hardly play this year and has essentially zero responsibilities.  He's not expected to score, he's not expected to shutdown top flight guys, he's not expected to kill penalties, or man the power play. <br />
 <br />
Why is he your biggest concern?<br />
 <br />
Now, if you were worried about the fact that we don't have a single defenseman capable of shutdown down top forwards I'd agree with you.</p></blockquote>

Spot on. We are missing a #1 D, a Sniper, and a Fighter. Pointing the finger at Kindl is like the Tigers pointing the finger at their bat boy.

#130 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2340877" data-time="1358438868"><p>
 <br />
Yeah dude seriously, if Kindl is your biggest problem with the defense then our defense is stellar.  Kindl will hardly play this year and has essentially zero responsibilities.  He's not expected to score, he's not expected to shutdown top flight guys, he's not expected to kill penalties, or man the power play. <br />
 <br />
Why is he your biggest concern?<br />
 <br />
Now, if you were worried about the fact that we don't have a single defenseman capable of shutdown down top forwards I'd agree with you.</p></blockquote>

Spot on. We are missing a #1 D, a Sniper, and a Fighter. Pointing the finger at Kindl is like the Tigers pointing the finger at their bat boy.

While I agree with you in theory - however unlike the batboy - Kindl will most certainly get more than his fair share of ice time...Shortened season with playing dates a bit closer to one another, and with the likes of an injury prone Colaiacovo (crosses fingers he doesn't) I'm fearing our D could be a major concern.

Jimmy Howard will most likely see more rubber than a dead skunk on I-95 during rush hour.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#131 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

What about Cory Sarich? He's 34 years old. Blocks shots, clears the crease, and is one of the harder hitters on the blueline.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#132 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="F.Michael" data-cid="2340903" data-time="1358442035"><p>
While I agree with you in theory - however unlike the batboy - Kindl will most certainly get more than his fair share of ice time...Shortened season with playing dates a bit closer to one another, and with the likes of an injury prone Colaiacovo (crosses fingers he doesn't) I'm fearing our D could be a major concern.<br />
 <br />
Jimmy Howard will most likely see more rubber than a dead skunk on I-95 during rush hour.</p></blockquote>

Ha ha ha!

He's going to be sprawling more times than Eva Unit Zero the night Hudler shirts shot out of the spring loader shirt cannons at the Joe.

#133 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

What about Cory Sarich? He's 34 years old. Blocks shots, clears the crease, and is one of the harder hitters on the blueline.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...If I remember correctly - he's sorta like Commodore...And look what happened to Commodore when he was a Red Wing.

#134 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

I agree with you, partly. Keep in mind that Commodore's career was already going downhill upon his arrival in Detroit. Additionally, Sarich is a bit quicker than Commodore. Would Sarich have to settle for #7 here? Possibly, so I see what you're getting at.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#135 DaWingsin071

DaWingsin071

DaWingsin071

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

This makes me salavate.

Kronwall - Ericcson 

Franson - Smith

Quincey - White

Colo

http://www.freep.com...troit Red Wings

#136 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Thoughts on Cody Franson?

(Or have you guys already discussed him? Apologies if so.)

EDIT: Ah, beat me to it, DaWingsin071. :)

Edited by Dabura, 17 January 2013 - 10:39 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#137 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

I agree with you, partly. Keep in mind that Commodore's career was already going downhill upon his arrival in Detroit. Additionally, Sarich is a bit quicker than Commodore. Would Sarich have to settle for #7 here? Possibly, so I see what you're getting at.

Given the Red Wings choice of play I'm thinking they'd prefer a Dman who capable of doing more with the puck other than bounce it off the glass...That said I've always had a soft spot for stay @ home Dmen.

As for Cody Franson - I think the Leafs would rather keep him, and move Komisarek - although adding Franson to our roster would be nice.

#138 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Franson's a big guy. For some reason I feel like he's been criticized for his lack of adequate use of his size. He looks like he's got some offensive upside. Why would Toronto get rid of him in the first place? And I agree that Komisarek seems like the more likely candidate to go. I'd be on board for Komisarek coming here, and I know you would too.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#139 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

Franson's a big guy. For some reason I feel like he's been criticized for his lack of adequate use of his size. He looks like he's got some offensive upside. Why would Toronto get rid of him in the first place? And I agree that Komisarek seems like the more likely candidate to go. I'd be on board for Komisarek coming here, and I know you would too.

If Komisarek could play like he had while a Hab - then I'd love to see him on the Red Wings roster.

The only problem is - with Detroits' style - he might try to do more than be a stay @ home Dman - that's when he gets into trouble.

#140 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

With Nonis making so many moves, it seems like here is somewhat of a possibility of him being moved, especially since he'll likely be bought out at the end of the year if he continues to underperform. Toronto might as well get something for him.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien