• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
robb himself

The Power Play

Rate this topic

I just watched a video from camp posted by ‏@Bill_Roose (The Wheel Deal ) showing Brunner playing the left point with Kronwall on the 1st power play unit.

With that in mind what do you think our 2 units should look like?

I think I would do this.

PP #1
Samuelsson - Zetterberg - Datsyuk

Brunner - Kronwall

PP #2
Bertuzzi - Filppula - Franzen

White - Quincey/Smith

thoughts?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="robb himself" data-cid="2340031" data-time="1358189945"><p>

I just watched a video from camp posted by ‏@Bill_Roose (The Wheel Deal ) showing Brunner playing the left point with Kronwall on the 1st power play unit.<br />

<br />

With that in mind what do you think our 2 units should look like?<br />

<br />

I think I would do this.<br />

<br />

PP #1<br />

Samuelsson - Zetterberg - Datsyuk<br />

<br />

Brunner - Kronwall<br />

<br />

PP #2<br />

Bertuzzi - Filppula - Franzen<br />

<br />

White - Quincey/Smith<br />

<br />

thoughts?</p></blockquote>

I like it but I think I would switch mule and Sammy.. And I'm pretty sure the wings will play mule-D-Z and have mule play in front of the net like holmer used to.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="robb himself" data-cid="2340031" data-time="1358189945"><p>

I just watched a video from camp posted by ‏@Bill_Roose (The Wheel Deal ) showing Brunner playing the left point with Kronwall on the 1st power play unit.<br />

<br />

With that in mind what do you think our 2 units should look like?<br />

<br />

I think I would do this.<br />

<br />

PP #1<br />

Samuelsson - Zetterberg - Datsyuk<br />

<br />

Brunner - Kronwall<br />

<br />

PP #2<br />

Bertuzzi - Filppula - Franzen<br />

<br />

White - Quincey/Smith<br />

<br />

thoughts?</p></blockquote>

I like it but I think I would switch mule and Sammy.. And I'm pretty sure the wings will play mule-D-Z and have mule play in front of the net like holmer used to.

Yeah you are definitely right. Franzen would look much better on the 1st unit as a net presence. Good call. Bertuzzi could do the same thing on the 2nd unit.

I think it's been said that Tom Renney is going to be handling the power play this year, which (if true) is a good sign. The Wings finished 22nd in PP% last season, so I'd imagine we'll see an improvement this upcoming year.

Amato pretty much picked the lines I would roll with on the PP.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="robb himself" data-cid="2340039" data-time="1358191075"><p>

Yeah you are definitely right. Franzen would look much better on the 1st unit as a net presence. Good call. Bertuzzi could do the same thing on the 2nd unit.</p></blockquote>

Thanks. That's what I was thinking Bert would do on the second unit as well.

Love it, better hands then Homer but will he be willing to take a beating like Homer is the question. If he's going to be the front of the net guy he has to be all in and not half ass.

Smith needs to be playing on the pp! He's our second best offensive d-man behind only kronwall

I think they want a right handed shot on the left side which makes sense, but if Smith does well on the second unit, he may get a chance on the first unit.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="germanwing" data-cid="2340071" data-time="1358195876"><p><br />

<a href='<a href='http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/01/red_wings_mike_babcock_johan_f.html'>http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/01/red_wings_mike_babcock_johan_f.html</a>'><a href='http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/01/red_wings_mike_babcock_johan_f.html'>http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/01/red_wings_mike_babcock_johan_f.html</a></a><br /><br />

<br /><br />

Mule will be net-front man...</p></blockquote><br />

<br />

Sounds good to me! :P <br />

<br />

Also, not to take anything away from homer, I think mule has the potential to be a better in front of the net guy than homer.. Mostly because of his hands and also if he can take a beating game in and game out (I think he can)

Edited by amato

Love it, better hands then Homer but will he be willing to take a beating like Homer is the question. If he's going to be the front of the net guy he has to be all in and not half ass.

won't happen. Plus he will never be as important on the PP as Homer was. We'll see what kind of net -front guy he turns into, hopefully he finds something to keep him motivated. 20-30 goals in 48 games would up his trade value!

won't happen. Plus he will never be as important on the PP as Homer was. We'll see what kind of net -front guy he turns into, hopefully he finds something to keep him motivated. 20-30 goals in 48 games would up his trade value!

He will be just as important but not as good..no one will be..Homer was the best at what he did. Franzen said he learned alot of stuff by watching Homer so lets hope he puts the learning to good use.

I think it's been said that Tom Renney is going to be handling the power play this year, which (if true) is a good sign. The Wings finished 22nd in PP% last season, so I'd imagine we'll see an improvement this upcoming year.

Amato pretty much picked the lines I would roll with on the PP.

Man, I keep forgetting about Renney being on board. Woohoo!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Jaymister" data-cid="2340079" data-time="1358197631"><p>

<br />

I think they want a right handed shot on the left side which makes sense, but if Smith does well on the second unit, he may get a chance on the first unit.</p></blockquote>

Ya I wouldn't mind having the first unit defense being kronwall- brunner, then the second being smith-Sammy. But there is no way that he shouldn't be on either unit.

Also, not to take anything away from homer, I think mule has the potential to be a better in front of the net guy than homer.. Mostly because of his hands and also if he can take a beating game in and game out (I think he can)

I agree. Also the mule adds that element where he can pop out into the slot. He has the shot and ability to absolutely snipe from there.

Given that Babs has used Brunner at the point in camp and said Mule will be the net front guy on the first unit, I'd go with...

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Franzen

Brunner - Kronwall

Mule goes to the net, and Brunner can move around a little more than the average defenseman. He's got a right handed shot so keeping him on the left side will allow for quicker shots and since he's more skilled than whatever other defender would've been playing the left point he can get more creative on offense with the forward. As per every single prediction or opinion, I will go with the usual "it depends on their effort level" disclaimer. We're still skilled as hell but if even a small few guys get lazy and try to rely 100% on skill and won't move their feet, we're once again screwed. We'll leave 5-10 wins on the ice because we didn't try. Mule has to try and get open. That's the wild card. Sorry, I'm rambling.

Sammy- Filppula - Bert

Smith - White

I think they'll give Bert a shot at being the second unit "Homer clone" so to speak, so if Franzen gets hurt Bert could step up and play the role. I think the team still believes the role to be very important. Personally I think it gets way too easy to contain if our other forwards don't move their feet to compliment their passing but whatever. It can work. I think Sammy's off the point and on the left wing where his right handed shot will work better. Smith I think will get a chance to work the point with White there to be a steady presence beside him. Bert should work well on the PP where he can hold the puck extremely well, deke well and not have to skate too quickly.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

I won't make judgements until I actually see what they've done with the powerplay, but i'm sure we have changed the system from just cycling and waiting for the shot, and then hoping for the best infront of the net. Way too much perimeter play and teams would box us out way too hard. We didn't have the power to break through it. The one thing I can say though, is we need smith on one of the powerplay units to quarterback it.

More reading re: Renney and the Power Play from Ansar KHAAAAAAN!!!

The Edmonton Oilers went from 27th in the NHL on the power play in Renney's first season as their head coach in 2010-11 to third last season...

“We really made the net the focal point,'' Renney said. “You can over-pass the puck on the power play to the point where you have diminishing returns.

How many times have we seen too many passes, and players trying to get too fancy on the PP. Hopefully Renney helps these guys move past that mindset.

Our objective was to get it to the net as quickly as we could, create chaos at the net and really come in hard for rebounds.

“What I find interesting is how your skill can take over when you start taking that approach. Then you’ve got guys that can do some pretty significant things when they start attacking the net.''

Attack the net, create chaos. I like the sound of that. There's more to read in the article. Worth a read, for sure.

Most of last season it looked like we fell into the "passing too much" category on the PP. It will probably take a little while to get our guys adjusted to a new approach but hopefully it will pay off. So much of last season we just passed and passed until Lidstrom could get free for a shot. It was very telegraphed. As long as the top man in the PK diamond had speed enough to challenge Lids on the shot, our PP was sunk. Here's hoping Renney's way is the answer. It was definitely a new look when they practiced it yesterday during the scrimmage, and it was real fun to watch all the movement on the PP.

More reading re: Renney and the Power Play from Ansar KHAAAAAAN!!!

How many times have we seen too many passes, and players trying to get too fancy on the PP. Hopefully Renney helps these guys move past that mindset.

Attack the net, create chaos. I like the sound of that. There's more to read in the article. Worth a read, for sure.

The Red Wings finished 22nd in the league on the power play last season (16.1 percent). They started well, converting at 21.5 percent through Dec. 17. But, in the final 51 games they capitalized on only 20-of-168 chances (11.9 percent).

Wow, I'd forgotten that it was so brutal.