• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

More reading re: Renney and the Power Play from Ansar KHAAAAAAN!!!

The Edmonton Oilers went from 27th in the NHL on the power play in Renney's first season as their head coach in 2010-11 to third last season...

“We really made the net the focal point,'' Renney said. “You can over-pass the puck on the power play to the point where you have diminishing returns.

How many times have we seen too many passes, and players trying to get too fancy on the PP.  Hopefully Renney helps these guys move past that mindset.

Our objective was to get it to the net as quickly as we could, create chaos at the net and really come in hard for rebounds.

“What I find interesting is how your skill can take over when you start taking that approach. Then you’ve got guys that can do some pretty significant things when they start attacking the net.''

Attack the net, create chaos. I like the sound of that. There's more to read in the article. Worth a read, for sure.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#22 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Most of last season it looked like we fell into the "passing too much" category on the PP.  It will probably take a little while to get our guys adjusted to a new approach but hopefully it will pay off.  So much of last season we just passed and passed until Lidstrom could get free for a shot.  It was very telegraphed.  As long as the top man in the PK diamond had speed enough to challenge Lids on the shot, our PP was sunk.  Here's hoping Renney's way is the answer.  It was definitely a new look when they practiced it yesterday during the scrimmage, and it was real fun to watch all the movement on the PP.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#23 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Most of last season it looked like we fell into the "passing too much" category on the PP.

Most of the past two decades, really.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#24 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

More reading re: Renney and the Power Play from Ansar KHAAAAAAN!!!

How many times have we seen too many passes, and players trying to get too fancy on the PP.  Hopefully Renney helps these guys move past that mindset.

Attack the net, create chaos. I like the sound of that. There's more to read in the article. Worth a read, for sure.

The Red Wings finished 22nd in the league on the power play last season (16.1 percent). They started well, converting at 21.5 percent through Dec. 17. But, in the final 51 games they capitalized on only 20-of-168 chances (11.9 percent).

Wow, I'd forgotten that it was so brutal.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#25 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

We had more SHG allowed than PP goals when Datsyuk was out.

bringit.jpg

#26 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Love it, better hands then Homer but will he be willing to take a beating like Homer is the question.  If he's going to be the front of the net guy he has to be all in and not half ass.

He has no choice: A mule is the offspring of a male donkey and a female horse.