• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DaWingsin071

Bouwmeester

Rate this topic

I was playing ESPN fantasy hockey and read this under Bouweester's tag line. "The Wings are in discussion with the Flames about a potenital deal for Bouwmeester reports TSN.ca". Any truth to this? didn't notice anything on TSN.ca

Thoughts?

I play ESPN fantasy hockey, I just looked and all it says on Bouwmeester is the following.

Supplanted by Dennis Wideman on Calgary's fantasy depth chart, Jay Bouwmeester remains the subject of trade rumors. The minute-munching D-man could have greater value as a member of another NHL squad. As it stands, the sturdy (0 missed games since 2003-04) 29-year-old could see very little time with the Flames' power play this season.

No recent news available.

I see nothing about what you posted on the ESPN fantasy page, please specify exactly where you are reading this because I can't seem to find it.

I play ESPN fantasy hockey, I just looked and all it says on Bouwmeester is the following.

Supplanted by Dennis Wideman on Calgary's fantasy depth chart, Jay Bouwmeester remains the subject of trade rumors. The minute-munching D-man could have greater value as a member of another NHL squad. As it stands, the sturdy (0 missed games since 2003-04) 29-year-old could see very little time with the Flames' power play this season.

No recent news available.

I see nothing about what you posted on the ESPN fantasy page, please specify exactly where you are reading this because I can't seem to find it.

I really think Bouwmeester has to be one of the most underrated if not the most underrated defenseman since a longtime. The guy can eat big minutes and perform, he may not be in the elite class but he still is a damn good defender. Maybe a culture change is exactly, what he needs.

Rather take a gamble on him than the overrated Yandle.

Guest Crymson

Bouwmeester is not exactly what the team needs. He's a puck-mover who is average in the defensive end and does not put up nearly enough points to justify his price tag. More, Calgary has no reason to part with him if they don't receive some significant forward assets in return. We'd be kissing goodbye to Filppula plus change, and that's not worth it.

I wouldn't pay too much for him. His name has been tossed around as a possible amnesty buyout candidate for the Flames. If his play doesn't get better this season for Calgary, Holland might be able to just sign him this summer.

It's also risky considering he would add a $6.7mil cap hit to a team that is going to need cap space to re-sign or replace potential UFA's Filppula, Howard, White, Brunner, Miller and Cleary and potential RFA's Nyquist, Smith, Kindl and Andersson (who can't go back to GR next year without being waived).

Edited by DSM

Guest Crymson
I'd be ok with it ONLY if Calgary took back a good bit of the salary. I'd like to pass though

The league does not allow teams to split the salary or the cap hit of a player. This has been the case since the 2005 CBA was signed.

Edited by Crymson

The league does not allow teams to split the salary or the cap hit of a player. This has been the case since the 2005 CBA was signed.

They changed it back for the new CBA. Burke bitched about it at every trade deadline.

Guest Crymson
They changed it back for the new CBA. Burke bitched about it at every trade deadline.

Cap hit can't be split.

Bouwmeester is not exactly what the team needs. He's a puck-mover who is average in the defensive end and does not put up nearly enough points to justify his price tag.

Dman points come from getting the puck to forwards and watching them finish, and that finish part doesn't seem to happen all that much in Calgary. I'm just saying...

No way I'd send Fil for him, but I could include Quince and Nyquist, plus picks and prospects that would equal a 5 for 2 trade that brought Bouwmeester and Iginla...somehow, someway. We'd be a serious contender for a few more years.

Dman points come from getting the puck to forwards and watching them finish, and that finish part doesn't seem to happen all that much in Calgary. I'm just saying...

No way I'd send Fil for him, but I could include Quince and Nyquist, plus picks and prospects that would equal a 5 for 2 trade that brought Bouwmeester and Iginla...somehow, someway. We'd be a serious contender for a few more years.

no way would they send us jbo AND igiinla for that...

no way would they send us jbo AND igiinla for that...

Too true. Ya gotta believe that if it were possible, it would have been done by now. Calgary has been in purgatory for a long time, neither rebuilding or improving, staying just good enough to watch Edmonton get all the top picks.

If they decide to rebuild and dump salary...it would be awesome to somehow pick up both Iginla and Bouwmeester...but I can't pretend to know how to get it done. We need youth, too.

Iginla would be an excellent pickup, and there are talks that he may be traded at the deadline if Calgary blows it this year since he is a UFA.

Bouwmeester is a different story. Like I said before, his cap hit is massive. If he came to the RedWings, he would be the second highest paid player on the team. It would be a risk for Holland seeing that he needs space to replace or resign so many players this summer.

If Holland makes any moves this season, it'll probably be for rental gap fillers. That way he can potentially make a splash in the offseason.

Bouwmeester is Calgary's best defenseman in both ends, and has been playing his best hockey as a Flame this season now that he has a coach (Hartley) who would prefer a skilled, smart, defenseman who can play well positionally and is a skilled skater (Bouwmeester, Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Howe, Keith) rather than a poor skating, stupid, unskilled defenseman whose only form of defense is getting next to a guy who has stopped moving and clobbering him (Gill, Hannan, Chara in NYI).

I've been saying about Bouwmeester for a while now a couple things that 1) He'll excel under Hartley (for the reasons I outlined above), and 2) if Detroit gets him, he's the perfect kind of defenseman to pick up because he has speed, he's good in both zones, and he has a ton of skill that Sutter simply didn't feel like using. Sutter had more top-six forwards than most teams but was playing most of them as bottom-sixers. He was using a defense full of skill guys (JBo, Gio, Brodie, Butler) and trying to make them into a bunch of Scott Hannans. Calgary should have a very good season this year, and most people will be like "ERMAGHERD!" But it's simply a matter of getting the right coach together with the right pieces; Calgary has a ton of skilled offensive forwards and some skilled offensive defensemen. If you were to take away Dats or Z, Calgary maybe has a better roster than Detroit (if Kiprusoff doesn't continue being terribad).