• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WorkingOvertime

NHL Gamecenter Live **No illegal stream discussion**

Rate this topic

I just checked on nhl's site and "Rogers" nhl gamecenter live is now... get this, only $179.99 for the season *puke* I'm pretty sure you get your same rate you signed up with, only new customers get this special promotional rate, also referred to on the site as the early bird special *double puke*

If you are "traveling" to Europe, you should be able to get GCL for $99.99.

Do you guys know if Fox sport Detroit has a system like NHLGamecenter? I live in Europe and i would love to have pregame and postgame shows, and to be honest I love Mickey and Kenny, i think they are great.

GCL played the intermissions for the Fox Sports Detroit games last season, but not the pre and post game commentary.

Do you guys know if Fox sport Detroit has a system like NHLGamecenter? I live in Europe and i would love to have pregame and postgame shows, and to be honest I love Mickey and Kenny, i think they are great.

As great as that would be,

the NHL would never allow it. They have contracts with specific cable companies for in region games. Gamecenter is a huge money grab since its the only viable way to watch the games

I keep going back and forth on getting it or not. :confused:

Definitely doublecheck, but I think you can cancel within 5 days and get a full refund.

So you could give it a try for a few days and see if it's worth it, cancel if it's not.

I ordered it but was so annoyed by the blackouts that I ended up canceling. One night there were three games on and all three were blacked out.

Well the NHL won't be seeing any money from me thanks to the lockouts and keeping someone in charge who should have been sacked long ago.

that being said, there are other legal alternatives to GCL. Just use your searchengine of choice and you'll find them, some are priced equally others are cheaper and offer more quality without blackouts.

Friend of mine canceled his subscription this season, because he wasn't satisfied with the quality and especially the lackluster customer service. That being said the best thing would be if teams would finally take care of that business and provide their own services, still can't believe why the RedWings aren't doing that that team has a lot of fans from overseas.

I'm not sure what all you guys are talking about. The only games I have blacked out are the dallas games because I live here and the ones that are on NHL network and nbc sports which I can watch on tv. I had an issue when I first got gamecenter with games being blacked out when they were not suppose to be..talked to someone on the phone..got it fixed and never have had an issue since. Not sure why everyone is having so many issues with it. Gamecenter classic games alone is worth the 8 payments a month for $19 or $159 one time. Well worth it.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

Well the NHL won't be seeing any money from me thanks to the lockouts and keeping someone in charge who should have been sacked long ago.

that being said, there are other legal alternatives to GCL. Just use your searchengine of choice and you'll find them, some are priced equally others are cheaper and offer more quality without blackouts.

Friend of mine canceled his subscription this season, because he wasn't satisfied with the quality and especially the lackluster customer service. That being said the best thing would be if teams would finally take care of that business and provide their own services, still can't believe why the RedWings aren't doing that that team has a lot of fans from overseas.

Those are not legal alternatives to GCL. GameCenterLive is the only legal way to watch NHL games because broadcasts are the property of the NHL.

These other sites circumvent copyright law by being located in another country, but that doesn't make them legal. Neither does paying for them.

I'm not sure what all you guys are talking about. The only games I have blacked out are the dallas games because I live here and the ones that are on NHL network and nbc sports which I can watch on tv. I had an issue when I first got gamecenter with games being blacked out when they were not suppose to be..talked to someone on the phone..got it fixed and never have had an issue since. Not sure why everyone is having so many issues with it. Gamecenter classic games alone is worth the 8 payments a month for $19 or $159 one time. Well worth it.

Right but if you live in Windsor or Michigan most games will be blacked out. Which is ridiculous considering the amount you pay for the package. You shouldn't have to find "illegal" ways around the blackouts, the games should all be viewable.

Right but if you live in Windsor or Michigan most games will be blacked out. Which is ridiculous considering the amount you pay for the package. You shouldn't have to find "illegal" ways around the blackouts, the games should all be viewable.

Particularly with more and more people opting out of cable packages. I loved GC when I lived on the east coast. When I lived in Columbus I missed the eight division games against the Jackets but now in Michigan I get nothing:/

I totally agree. I have always hated the blackout rules. What sucks even more is I get the sports pack in direct tv and I get no tigers games...no wings games....which I really don't understand since I'm all the way here in Texas so I guess the blackout rules are different on cable/sat then they are online with gamecenter?

I think it's ridiculous and still can't believe why teams aren't speaking up against that crap ? The Red Wings could make much more money by offering a package, heck think about how much the Maple leafs ... could make.

If I where an owner there is no way in hell I'm accepting that package deal GCL, I'd rather have my own service to provide ALL fans with all of the games. I would seriously consider checking the US law if that blackout thing is even legal (the CBA isn't above the US/CAN law I guess).

also I wanted to apologize to the mods for talking about ways to get around it, had no bad intents just wanted to help some fellow users :)

I think it's ridiculous and still can't believe why teams aren't speaking up against that crap ? The Red Wings could make much more money by offering a package, heck think about how much the Maple leafs ... could make.

If I where an owner there is no way in hell I'm accepting that package deal GCL, I'd rather have my own service to provide ALL fans with all of the games. I would seriously consider checking the US law if that blackout thing is even legal (the CBA isn't above the US/CAN law I guess).

also I wanted to apologize to the mods for talking about ways to get around it, had no bad intents just wanted to help some fellow users :)

It's not a legal issue at all. Direct from the FCC....

All blackouts of sports events today are the result of contractual agreements between the content owners (i.e., the sports leagues or teams) and the programming distributors (i.e., the broadcast television networks and stations, and the cable and satellite networks and systems). Each sports league has different rules about when a televised event is blacked out, and those rules are part of the contracts the league or team signs with programming distributors.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/sports-blackouts

It works this way because the NHL (and by that it means the owners too) & their broadcast partners agreed to it, the government really has no involvement in it at all. The only thing the recent FCC rule change impacts, as I stated in an earlier post, is that leagues no longer have government backing for blackouts which was really only there for public perception to begin with. The repeal is all about positive publicity for the FCC more than anything else as they can use it as an example of being pro-consumer even though it changes nothing. The only thing that is going to impact leagues' abilities to control their broadcast rights like this will be if Congress takes away their anti-trust protections & in essence declares the leagues/teams don't hold the exclusive rights to broadcast their product. Personally, I don't ever see that happening.

The NHL controls broadcast rights, not the teams. I'm sure the Yotes and Preds owners don't want the Leafs and Wings making money they can't dip their paws into, or worse, stream the games free on the Wings site so no one makes any cash.

The NHL controls broadcast rights, not the teams. I'm sure the Yotes and Preds owners don't want the Leafs and Wings making money they can't dip their paws into, or worse, stream the games free on the Wings site so no one makes any cash.

Nor would the Ilitch family want to assume the cost of staging broadcasts or other risks in forming their own Red Wings network I would think, even if splitting the risks with a rights partner. There is definitely strength in numbers in this case. Don't forget, we're just a decade removed from things being bleak enough that the league gave NBC broadcast rights for no money upfront, only getting a share of ad revenue after NBC covered its production/distribution costs. I won't even get into details on how recent trends in cord cutting could spell trouble for future revenue for sports leagues. Ultimately what I'm saying is that don't think the Wings, if they even had the ability to split off on their own in regards to broadcast rights, that it would be a slam dunk success.

Edited by ogreslayer

And the NHL has relatively reasonable prices. The AHL and WHL charge $300+ for a full season.

I would like to see the NHL negotiate the next TV contract to give them the ability to offer a no-blackout service to fans.

And the NHL has relatively reasonable prices. The AHL and WHL charge $300+ for a full season.

I would like to see the NHL negotiate the next TV contract to give them the ability to offer a no-blackout service to fans.

If the league is willing to take less money from NBC, Rogers, regional networks, etc. they could probably make that happen. No network is going to pay full price though if they don't have exclusive rights.

I'd be willing to pay a little more for the "premium" package that has no blackouts.

Personally I think it's ridiculous paying for a product advertised as "all games live" and then not being able to watch the game of choice thanks to blackouts.

b tw. the whole NHL videoportal site needs and overrhaul I can't find anything even small tasks like looking for interviews has become unuserfriendly. Seriously how hard is it to design a clean videoportal navigation without that small dropdown "menu#" ?