• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 WingsFan19

WingsFan19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Each day this week leading up to the start of the 2013 NHLseason I will profile one returning Detroit Red Wings player who needs to elevate their game to ensure the Wings have a successful season and make the playoffs for a NHL best 22 straight seasons.

Dan Cleary

#2 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

This dude is History after this year. He was great and worth double his salary for 2007-2009, but he's just a shadow of that now. I like him, but Andersson works in this year and gets Cleary's spot in 13/14.

#3 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

LOL.  That's what I get for making jokes about his balance.  

Must have balance Daniel San 

Edited by GMRwings1983, 15 January 2013 - 03:44 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#4 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

I have to agree with "The Axe".....Cleary has been injury prone these past few seasons, and with that his productivity has dropped.

Unless he's in all 48 games, and plays in all playoff games (also putting up respectable numbers) - I'm afraid he won't be a Red Wing for the 2013/2014 season.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#5 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Two seasons ago he was Wings' best goalscorer. Last season he played with an injured leg and was in lots of pain. There was a surgery after last season and he should be okay now. You should wait until you see him actually play before making any judgements.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#6 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

For better or for worse, Cleary will be a Wing until he retires, in my opinion. At this stage of his career, I think it would be beneficial to the Red Wings if they let him go, but something tells me he'll play another couple years. I just can't see Detroit letting him go. He's 34. His production slipped last year. Love the way he plays, but it is becoming clear that his style of play is starting to beat him down.

Maybe he'll bounce back this year. I surely hope so.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 15 January 2013 - 12:15 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#7 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="P. Marlowe" data-cid="2340239" data-time="1358269979"><p>
Two seasons ago he was Wings' best goalscorer. Last season he played with an injured leg and was in lots of pain. There was a surgery after last season and he should be okay now. You should wait until you see him actually play before making any judgements.</p></blockquote>

I hope you're right. It would be a huge boost in the arm for the Wings to get the Dan Cleary that single-handedly beat the Mighty Ducks that one playoff year with his net crashing, tenacity, toughness, and skill. I was all over 11's jock after that. He was like Helm but with good breaks and bounces during that time.

#8 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Ken Holland has stated

For better or for worse, Cleary will be a Wing until he retires, in my opinion. At this stage of his career, I think it would be beneficial to the Red Wings if they let him go, but something tells me he'll play another couple years. I just can't see Detroit letting him go. He's 34. His production slipped last year. Love the way he plays, but it is becoming clear that his style of play is starting to beat him down.

Maybe he'll bounce back this year. I surely hope so.

Ken Holland stated last year that Cleary is "a Wing for life" like Draper, Maltby and co. Can't find the article but it was in MLive I think. So Cleary will be re-signed and this season determines his contract.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#9 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I feel like this will be a big season for Cleary, contract year and he's finally healthy for the first time in 2 seasons. I'm expecting big things paired up with Helmer.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#10 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

This dude is History after this year. He was great and worth double his salary for 2007-2009, but he's just a shadow of that now. I like him, but Andersson works in this year and gets Cleary's spot in 13/14.

So he wasn't worth his career year in 2010-2011?

I have to agree with "The Axe".....Cleary has been injury prone these past few seasons, and with that his productivity has dropped

And again. Sometimes I wonder if some people just can't take the ten seconds to browse their memories before posting. This applies also to the statement that he is injury-prone, as the majority of his injuries have come from events that would have injured anybody; and his knee problems last season came of agreeing to forgo surgery in the previous offseason so as to not miss an extended period.

Edited by Crymson, 15 January 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#11 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing what he's got now that the knee has been taken care of. When healthy, I think Cleary's an asset to this team. Whether or not that surgery made him "healthy" remains to be seen. I'll reserve judgment until I see him on the ice.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#12 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

And again. Sometimes I wonder if some people just can't take the ten seconds to browse their memories before posting. This applies also to the statement that he is injury-prone, as the majority of his injuries have come from events that would have injured anybody; and his knee problems last season came of agreeing to forgo surgery in the previous offseason so as to not miss an extended period.

And what does this have to do with the fact that he is getting older - more injury prone - less productive - and quite possibly not a Red Wing for the 2013/2014 NHL season when younger more healthy players are capable of replacing him?

Just because we all have fond memories for a certain Red Wing from years past doesn't mean it's a great idea in keeping said player on the team in the future - especially if said player cannot perform as he did in the past, and others can.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#13 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="P. Marlowe" data-cid="2340254" data-time="1358273091"><p>
Ken Holland has stated<br />
 <br />
 <br />
Ken Holland stated last year that Cleary is "a Wing for life" like Draper, Maltby and co. Can't find the article but it was in MLive I think. So Cleary will be re-signed and this season determines his contract.</p></blockquote>

Ken Holland should be fired. Part of the reason we have guys playing for us 3 years past their usefulness. Bert, homer, sammy, etc.

#14 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

If someone offered up a good D-man I would jump all over it. I doubt it would happen though he is about done
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image