• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

TooToo - the lovable little Tasmanian Devil

Rate this topic

Coach weighs in on the toughness debate and compares TooToo to Downey, McCarty and Drake.

The Wings see Tootoo as someone who can help them regain their footing after last year's especially disappointing showing in the playoffs, when they lost in the first round to Tootoo's Predators. Tootoo, who turns 30 on Feb. 2, isn't a big-minutes guy, but it's what he does with those minutes he is on the ice that they like. Babcock sees Tootoo as the same type of player the Wings had on their most recent Stanley Cup winning team, in 2008, when Dallas Drake and Darren McCarty roamed the ice and Aaron Downey was on reserve.

"When we won the Cup last, we had great toughness on our team," Babcock said. "Dallas Drake hunted you down, and we had Mac and we had Downs. We had lots of grit. We haven't been near as gritty since. We're not talking about guys to stop and fight at stoppages, we're talking about guys who will get on you and forecheck and make people nervous. He always made us nervous."

http://www.freep.com/article/20130115/SPORTS05/301150143/Helene-St-James-Tootoo-brings-just-the-right-touch-of-toughness?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Detroit%20Red%20Wings

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="fat guy in a maltby jersey" data-cid="2340344" data-time="1358287784"><p>

tootoo is garbage. hope he gets benched.</p></blockquote>

I feel similar, but i will give him a shot.

tootoo is garbage. hope he gets benched.

He's here for 3 (er... 2 1/2) seasons at $1.9m per, which is more than Abdelkader, Brunner, Eaves, Goose, Miller, Mursak and Emmerton. At his cap hit, he's not likely to be benched.

Tootoo wasn't my first choice (or even hundreth) of FA's to sign. But he's a Detroit Red Wing now. Wanting him to fail is by extension wanting the team to fail. I want the team to win, so by extension I want Tootoo to perform well and succeed.

To use the tired cliche, the name on the front of the jersey is more important to me than the one on the back.

I honestly think after he blows up a few defensemen on the forecheck people around here will start appreciating what he can do. The Dallas Drake comparisons are not too far off. Good forecheck, good skating, finishes hits, and will scrap if needs be. I'd say he'll win everyone over in the first three games.

I honestly think after he blows up a few defensemen on the forecheck people around here will start appreciating what he can do. The Dallas Drake comparisons are not too far off. Good forecheck, good skating, finishes hits, and will scrap if needs be. I'd say he'll win everyone over in the first three games.

Agreed.

He's the guy you Love to have on your team, Hate to play against.

Probably one of the hardest hitters in the league.

Tootoo is great distraction for the other team and one huge motivation/energy bomb on the ice. he can prove invaluable for Wings team.

those who remember last Wings-Preds playoff series - Tootoo was Nashville's most energetic player and every shift he was on the ice there were things happening for Preds. He may not have the talent of the likes of Fisher or Erat but he is a driving force for his line and guys watching on the bench to push more. sure he has drawbacks but if Wings are to see the same Tootoo when they advance to playoffs... that's not a good news to the other team(s)

he got a breakaway today but drop passed it trying to be fancy. he said he needs to get his feet going during his interview. looks pretty good though, can't really judge upon a intersquad scrimmage though

I just remember wanting so bad for him to get Kronwalled, and going to several CBJ games here in Hell I wanted the same. I for one am happy to see him here on our team. Once again, "A little less pretty, and a little more gritty".

He's here for 3 (er... 2 1/2) seasons at $1.9m per, which is more than Abdelkader, Brunner, Eaves, Goose, Miller, Mursak and Emmerton. At his cap hit, he's not likely to be benched.

Tootoo wasn't my first choice (or even hundreth) of FA's to sign. But he's a Detroit Red Wing now. Wanting him to fail is by extension wanting the team to fail. I want the team to win, so by extension I want Tootoo to perform well and succeed.

To use the tired cliche, the name on the front of the jersey is more important to me than the one on the back.

The force is strong with this one.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="F.Michael" data-cid="2340418" data-time="1358296229"><p>

Wasn't he the punching bag?</p></blockquote>

In basically every fight with the exception of his fights against fellow punching bag Max Yapierre, yes.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros