• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

TooToo - the lovable little Tasmanian Devil

Rate this topic

It's actually an unsportsmanlike penalty they rarely call, but it does happen from time to time.

They've been calling it this year when the visor wearer is the instigator. Easy to be brave and go in fists'a flying when your whole head is wrapped in plastic. :thumbup:

esteef

Guest RedWingsDad

We REALLY need some whistles at Red Wings games... just sayin. Listen, you all know it's going to happen eventually, might as well get used to the idea. :D

I've never seen it called before, so I didn't even think of that, still pretty cowardly

I remember someone got called for fighting abby last year (I think) with a visor. Of course, I've seen Abby fight with one too. I've seen it called once or twice other than that, so it is pretty rare. Kind of like how when they throw someone out for a faceoff violation, if the same team commits another one, they are supposed to call a delay of game, but they never do...they just drop the puck.

We REALLY need some whistles at Red Wings games... just sayin. Listen, you all know it's going to happen eventually, might as well get used to the idea. :D

For the love of god, please no.........

It's actually an unsportsmanlike penalty they rarely call, but it does happen from time to time.

It is only a penalty if you instigate a fight with the visor. Way back when Luc Robitaille picked up one of those when he fought Cheli.

The first half of the fight it wasn't going well, but then he got a second wind and started really creaming Dillon, good job the refs stopped it when they did. Anyways, I always knew that as soon as he'd dropped the gloves a few times Wings fans would love him, the real questions are going to be if and when he crosses that line he so often crossed in Nashville.

If you watch it from the Dallas feed they make it seem like Tootoo got creamed in the second fight, it's funny cause I don't think there was a clear cut winner or loser in that fight

The first half of the fight it wasn't going well, but then he got a second wind and started really creaming Dillon, good job the refs stopped it when they did. Anyways, I always knew that as soon as he'd dropped the gloves a few times Wings fans would love him, the real questions are going to be if and when he crosses that line he so often crossed in Nashville.

My observation exactly. He got rocked by those upper cuts and I thought he was down and out, but then I was amazed at how he shook it off in an instant and picked up the pace again, inflicting a lot of damage after that point. I thought the team was inspired more to seeing that there is no quit in Toots rather than to wether he won or lost.

Sugar Ray used to call it being in "The Dark Closet" when a guy gets rocked like that, and how most guys can never fight there way back out of the Dark Closet. I think Toots saw the lights flickering, and kicked it into high gear instead of letting himself get shut down. That's an amazing thing to witness. No Quit in Toots, that's for damn sure.

Guest RedWingsDad

My observation exactly. He got rocked by those upper cuts and I thought he was down and out, but then I was amazed at how he shook it off in an instant and picked up the pace again, inflicting a lot of damage after that point. I thought the team was inspired more to seeing that there is no quit in Toots rather than to wether he won or lost.

Sugar Ray used to call it being in "The Dark Closet" when a guy gets rocked like that, and how most guys can never fight there way back out of the Dark Closet. I think Toots saw the lights flickering, and kicked it into high gear instead of letting himself get shut down. That's an amazing thing to witness. No Quit in Toots, that's for damn sure.

It was hard to say for sure, but it looks like about all of those upper-cuts missed, grazing off the left or right side of his face. I don't really think he was fazed all that much by it.

I still think starting fights like this at the start of the game without any reason is just ridiculous. Yes hockey is a physical sport but I want to see emotions, not such artificial crap. Completely surreal, maybe fun to watch once when it was unexpected but over and over again is annoying. Come on, give it up and do those hits during the game.

Edited by stewess

I still think starting fights like this at the start of the game without any reason is just ridiculous. Yes hockey is a physical sport but I want to see emotions, not such artificial crap. Completely surreal, maybe fun to watch once when it was unexpected but over and over again is annoying. Come on, give it up and do those hits during the game.

In general I agree, though for me that's overshadowed by having someone on the Wings that will actually drop the gloves.

But yeah, staged fights, especially on the opening faceoff are kind of lame.

Ok, i agree with no lame whistles BUT i do think the Joe needs to come up with a song afer Tootoo has a fight. Songs are big at the Joe- remember when Dan Cleary used to actually score and they would play " I can see clearly now?' We need a 22 fight song! :music:

In general I agree, though for me that's overshadowed by having someone on the Wings that will actually drop the gloves.

But yeah, staged fights, especially on the opening faceoff are kind of lame.

IIRC, McCarty and Lemieux had a staged fight once, maybe around 98/99 (not the "turtling" fight, but still in the midst of the bad blood between the Wings and the Avs). In that instance, I was completely ok with a staged fight. But that's the exception, not the rule...

While I partially agree with this, I don't think it so much "staged" as it was a few stars wanted a little revenge for past behavior from toots and he knew that thats why they asked their respective coaches if they could get it over with at the start instead of interrupting the game a ruining a potential scoring opportunity. That's just my take on it, not a fact so don't get riled up about it :)

Has anyone else noticed that while Tootoo is a pretty good skater, he's awful at trying to stop? I guess if you've been hitting guys your whole life there's probably no reason to learn how to stop, but if you watch you'll get a kick out of it. Who was the kid from the Mighty Ducks movies who couldn't stop? Love the guy, and love that once he gets going he's either hitting a defenseman or hitting the glass, but he's never stopping.

Luis Mendoza! Haha he learned eventually..

"I stopped!"

"Put it in Luis!!"

Also, this.... :P

IIRC, McCarty and Lemieux had a staged fight once, maybe around 98/99 (not the "turtling" fight, but still in the midst of the bad blood between the Wings and the Avs). In that instance, I was completely ok with a staged fight. But that's the exception, not the rule...

Agreed. Because in that case there was already a lot of bad blood and scores to settle. If it's from some prior incident earlier in the season that's totally fine.

I'm guessing it was this one? If memory serves that was Lemieux basically trying to redeem himself after turtling in the infamous brawl.

(courtesy of hockeyfights and youtube)

Agreed. Because in that case there was already a lot of bad blood and scores to settle. If it's from some prior incident earlier in the season that's totally fine.

I'm guessing it was this one? If memory serves that was Lemieux basically trying to redeem himself after turtling in the infamous brawl.

(courtesy of hockeyfights and youtube)

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of.