• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#61 mmorland

mmorland

SRD Writer, Broadcaster

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

It's easy to hate a player like Tootoo when he's not on your team and even easier to like him when he is. Curious to see how his role develops over the shortened season.

"I can't believe I shook this guys frickin' hand. We lost and I'm pissed off. But to see Kris Draper's face makes me sick. I didn't see his face until after the game, but his face is turned sideways. If the league doesn't do something about that ... I mean that's ridiculous. He could have broken his fricken neck."

-Dino Ciccarelli

#62 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

I agree.  We should get another fighter, preferably on defense.  

I'm not really sure what type of guy you mean?  Do you have any examples of someone you think fits the bill in terms of style of play?  Doesn't have to be someone on the market, I just want to get an idea of what you're looking for. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#63 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

I'm not really sure what type of guy you mean?  Do you have any examples of someone you think fits the bill in terms of style of play?  Doesn't have to be someone on the market, I just want to get an idea of what you're looking for. 

I always wanted to have an Erskine type player here.  A guy who regularly dressed on defense for the Capitals, and was an enforcer to boot.  Sheldon Brookbank is another such player.  

These types of bottom pairing D-men clear the crease, stick up for teammates, and are tough to play against in a playoff series.  And they're bone-fide tough guys/enforcers.  Also, these kinds of players don't cost a lot of money.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#64 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

“I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

esteef

I love this quote! Go Tootoo!

Thank You TeeMan

#65 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="GMRwings1983" data-cid="2340959" data-time="1358450112"><p>
 <br />
I always wanted to have an Erskine type player here.  A guy who regularly dressed on defense for the Capitals, and was an enforcer to boot.  Sheldon Brookbank is another such player.  <br />
 <br />
These types of bottom pairing D-men clear the crease, stick up for teammates, and are tough to play against in a playoff series.  And they're bone-fide tough guys/enforcers.  Also, these kinds of players don't cost a lot of money.  </p></blockquote>
Agreed. We missed out on Jim Vandermeer. He signed a one-year deal with Vancouver. I don't think it was more than $600,000. Might have been $550,000.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#66 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="GMRwings1983" data-cid="2340959" data-time="1358450112"><p>
 <br />
I always wanted to have an Erskine type player here.  A guy who regularly dressed on defense for the Capitals, and was an enforcer to boot.  Sheldon Brookbank is another such player.  <br />
 <br />
These types of bottom pairing D-men clear the crease, stick up for teammates, and are tough to play against in a playoff series.  And they're bone-fide tough guys/enforcers.  Also, these kinds of players don't cost a lot of money.  </p></blockquote>
Agreed. We missed out on Jim Vandermeer. He signed a one-year deal with Vancouver. I don't think it was more than $600,000. Might have been $550,000.

Franzen doesn't like him.  

#67 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Did I miss something?

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#68 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Did I miss something?

At the 2:20 mark, Franzen gets tough.

#69 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

He got tough..until Vandermeer threw one haymaker at him. Then he laid on the ice like he got shot.

I'm sure Vandermeer would've been a welcome addition to this team. He skated with a few members of the Canucks in British Columbia for a short time, then supposedly those select few Canucks said good things about him to Mike Gillis.

He'll be one of the only honest players amidst a sea of divers in Vancouver.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#70 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Man Franzen is embarrassing when he tries to act tough.  Once it gets past throwing gloved punches with a ref protecting him, he's down for the count. 

#71 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

He's got all the tools to be a power forward. It is far beyond embarrassing. <_<

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#72 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

He's got all the tools to be a power forward. It is far beyond embarrassing. <_<

I wouldn't mind him not dropping the gloves so much, but he's so often taking whacks at guys and throwing gloved punches.  If you're going to start crap like that, back it up.  

He's fortunate to not have been suspended for a couple of his more extreme suckerpunches. 

#73 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

I don't think its necessary for him to fight a lot, either. Unfortunately, he's never gonna back anything up. The gloved punch on Montador last year was real ballsy. I like his offensive upside, but the guy is a spineless little weasel. That may rub some here the wrong way, but its the stone cold truth.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 17 January 2013 - 07:23 PM.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#74 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

I always wanted to have an Erskine type player here.  A guy who regularly dressed on defense for the Capitals, and was an enforcer to boot.  Sheldon Brookbank is another such player.  

These types of bottom pairing D-men clear the crease, stick up for teammates, and are tough to play against in a playoff series.  And they're bone-fide tough guys/enforcers.  Also, these kinds of players don't cost a lot of money.  

Ah, gotcha.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#75 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

I don't think its necessary for him to fight a lot, either. Unfortunately, he's never gonna back anything up. The gloved punch on Montador last year was real ballsy. I like his offensive upside, but the guy is a spineless little weasel. That may rub some here the wrong way, but its the stone cold truth.

I don't see how it would, not a whole lot of people here like him lol. I like Franzen but he needs to stop being so lazy, and he definitely needs to back his s*** up. Even Datsyuk got in a brawl lol

#76 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Yep. The guy's a punk, and as much as we hated playing against him, I think we'll like having him on our team. Just think how much we would've hated Maltby if he was on another team? The guy was a huge dick out there all the time! And it was awesome! He became one of my favorites. There's elements to Tootoo that are questionable for certain, but I'm feeling more optimistic than not about how well he'll fit in here.

“I'm a Red Wing for the next three years and I'm going to make sure every team we play knows that.'' -- Jordin Tootoo

esteef

LOVE IT.

-Elliot...does not panic.

#77 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Does anyone ever think to question WHY Franzen looked so good in 2008?  Because he had the newly retooled grind line with Maltby, Draper, a re-energized Drake, and a sober McCarty to come out and clear the ice for him.  NEVAR FORGET THE PAIN TRAIN EITHER.

I am more than beyond disappointed that #93 is such a PANSY.  Scotty Bowman would have demanded his ass got traded off.  If you want to win a cup you need some grit.  Look at LA.  Their 4th line ended up being straight Demolition men with grit all over the lineup.  Brown, Richards, Mitchell, Nolan, King, Lewis, Westgarth, Clifford.  ALL of those guys can deliver hits, hold their own, and in the case of the last few on the list, go out and wreck the other team, and score some timely goals (Especially vs Phoenix and Jersey)

If TooToo is even half as mad as Drake-RaAaAaAAAAGE above, bloody hell bring him on.  Our grit guys would be Tootoo...Big E.....Howard....Abby (maybe)....Bert (sometimes).......Need more angry guys.  Franzen for Clarkson (NJ) straight up.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#78 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

He dropped the gloves less often than Justin Abdelkader last season.  So he's the guy that's going to stick up for our stars

Abdelkader got forced into fighting because the line up was so soft, hes the only guy prety much capable and somewhat willing to fight. Tootoos actually a good fighter and when he doesnt have Brian Mcgrattan on the ice with him he'll be doing a lot more fighting.

I hope he has the Brad May effect from 2009 or whatever year that was. May got a call up and guys like Cleary, Meech etc. were all fighting because they saw the toughness to back them up. I hope Tootoo has that effect on guys like Abby and Ericcson who can beat up the guys who try to goon Kronwall for his hits

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#79 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Does anyone ever think to question WHY Franzen looked so good in 2008?  Because he had the newly retooled grind line with Maltby, Draper, a re-energized Drake, and a sober McCarty to come out and clear the ice for him.  NEVAR FORGET THE PAIN TRAIN EITHER.

I am more than beyond disappointed that #93 is such a PANSY.  Scotty Bowman would have demanded his ass got traded off.  If you want to win a cup you need some grit.  Look at LA.  Their 4th line ended up being straight Demolition men with grit all over the lineup.  Brown, Richards, Mitchell, Nolan, King, Lewis, Westgarth, Clifford.  ALL of those guys can deliver hits, hold their own, and in the case of the last few on the list, go out and wreck the other team, and score some timely goals (Especially vs Phoenix and Jersey)

If TooToo is even half as mad as Drake-RaAaAaAAAAGE above, bloody hell bring him on.  Our grit guys would be Tootoo...Big E.....Howard....Abby (maybe)....Bert (sometimes).......Need more angry guys.  Franzen for Clarkson (NJ) straight up.

Video=FANF..KINGTASTIC!!!

#80 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Can we expect at least a 5G, 15A contribution out of him this season?