• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FireCaptain

TooToo - the lovable little Tasmanian Devil

Rate this topic

Does anyone ever think to question WHY Franzen looked so good in 2008? Because he had the newly retooled grind line with Maltby, Draper, a re-energized Drake, and a sober McCarty to come out and clear the ice for him. NEVAR FORGET THE PAIN TRAIN EITHER.

I am more than beyond disappointed that #93 is such a PANSY. Scotty Bowman would have demanded his ass got traded off. If you want to win a cup you need some grit. Look at LA. Their 4th line ended up being straight Demolition men with grit all over the lineup. Brown, Richards, Mitchell, Nolan, King, Lewis, Westgarth, Clifford. ALL of those guys can deliver hits, hold their own, and in the case of the last few on the list, go out and wreck the other team, and score some timely goals (Especially vs Phoenix and Jersey)

If TooToo is even half as mad as Drake-RaAaAaAAAAGE above, bloody hell bring him on. Our grit guys would be Tootoo...Big E.....Howard....Abby (maybe)....Bert (sometimes).......Need more angry guys. Franzen for Clarkson (NJ) straight up.

He dropped the gloves less often than Justin Abdelkader last season. So he's the guy that's going to stick up for our stars

Abdelkader got forced into fighting because the line up was so soft, hes the only guy prety much capable and somewhat willing to fight. Tootoos actually a good fighter and when he doesnt have Brian Mcgrattan on the ice with him he'll be doing a lot more fighting.

I hope he has the Brad May effect from 2009 or whatever year that was. May got a call up and guys like Cleary, Meech etc. were all fighting because they saw the toughness to back them up. I hope Tootoo has that effect on guys like Abby and Ericcson who can beat up the guys who try to goon Kronwall for his hits

Does anyone ever think to question WHY Franzen looked so good in 2008? Because he had the newly retooled grind line with Maltby, Draper, a re-energized Drake, and a sober McCarty to come out and clear the ice for him. NEVAR FORGET THE PAIN TRAIN EITHER.

I am more than beyond disappointed that #93 is such a PANSY. Scotty Bowman would have demanded his ass got traded off. If you want to win a cup you need some grit. Look at LA. Their 4th line ended up being straight Demolition men with grit all over the lineup. Brown, Richards, Mitchell, Nolan, King, Lewis, Westgarth, Clifford. ALL of those guys can deliver hits, hold their own, and in the case of the last few on the list, go out and wreck the other team, and score some timely goals (Especially vs Phoenix and Jersey)

If TooToo is even half as mad as Drake-RaAaAaAAAAGE above, bloody hell bring him on. Our grit guys would be Tootoo...Big E.....Howard....Abby (maybe)....Bert (sometimes).......Need more angry guys. Franzen for Clarkson (NJ) straight up.

Video=FANF..KINGTASTIC!!!

Can we expect at least a 5G, 15A contribution out of him this season?

Possible, but optimistic I think. But he's not here to score. He's here to hit and cause havok. If he does that well enough, those stats would be fine even for a full season.

Last season he had 30 points, the season before that 18 in 54 and 16 in 51 the season before that which is really before he was all sobered up. He scored more then 5 goals in each of those years as well. I think a lot of wing fans dont realize he actually produces for a bottom 6er and thats why they hate the signing.

On a full season expecting 5 goals and 15 assists seems more like the low end but people are saying thats aiming high?

Guest Playmaker
And 200 PIM

He had less than a hundred last year with a full season. Why would anyone expect him to get 200 in a half season?

On a full season expecting 5 goals and 15 assists seems more like the low end but people are saying thats aiming high?

Not "people", just me. And the question was in regard to this season. For this season I think those numbers are optimistic, though possible.

When I said those numbers would be fine for a full season, it wasn't meant as a criticism. Just trying to point out that we shouldn't be judging his value by how many points he scores.

Not "people", just me. And the question was in regard to this season. For this season I think those numbers are optimistic, though possible.

When I said those numbers would be fine for a full season, it wasn't meant as a criticism. Just trying to point out that we shouldn't be judging his value by how many points he scores.

After last season, I think his "production" is, for better of for worse, something he's going to be judged by (if only in part). I mean, we all know how much Holland likes bruisers who really struggle to produce. Point being, (IMHO), he's here for what he does off the scoresheet, yes, but I think there are, and ought to be, some *expectations* (if relatively modest ones) regarding his point production.

He will demolish fools. Absolutely destroy some. Take a lot of stupd penalties, some of which will have us clawing our eyes out. Make his fair share of boneheaded plays. And he will, I think, put up some pretty good numbers for a fourth-line pest.

One thing I really like about the signing, and him as a person and player, is that he seems really big on expanding his game, learning to play in key situations - becoming a more complete player. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'd say that the majority of ultra-pests and enforcers (lightweight, middle, and heavy) are mostly very content with what they bring to the fold. "Right, I'm gonna destroy #19, and draw a penalty, and my work is done for the night." I like that Tootoo seems to want to be more - and, at the same time, has no illusions or delusions re: his biggest "draws," if you will.

Maybe some of that is about distancing himself from his darker days. I don't know, and I'm not going to pretend otherwise and turn this into That Kind of Thread.

I just think he deserves some props - and if not props, then at least a clean-ish slate. Not to knock Trotz, who I happen to have a pretty good deal of respect for, but,

Trotz Tootoo = Babcock Tootoo? Not likely. (All the good, a bit of the bad.)

Or, bottom line, I guess: Preds Tootoo = Wings Tootoo? Not bloody likely. (ditto)

A friend of mine suggested the whistles have some kind of Pavlovian effect on him, i.e. they turn him into a ****** bag. Which, at the time, I took to be kind of a racist put-down. But, actually, I think it's sort of an intriguing idea. (OK, not really. I'm procrastinating/killing time.)

Edited by Dabura

Last season he had 30 points, the season before that 18 in 54 and 16 in 51 the season before that which is really before he was all sobered up. He scored more then 5 goals in each of those years as well. I think a lot of wing fans dont realize he actually produces for a bottom 6er and thats why they hate the signing.

Haven't read the full thread, but people expecting 5g, 15a or 20pts to be on the high end (even for full season) might be because he's only scored more than 18pts once in his entire career. It helps that it just came last year and I know if you look at the stats, he was close to 20pts the 2 seasons before that only playing 50 some odd games, but you have to consider that too, what are the chances he plays 82 games?

Haven't read the full thread, but people expecting 5g, 15a or 20pts to be on the high end (even for full season) might be because he's only scored more than 18pts once in his entire career. It helps that it just came last year and I know if you look at the stats, he was close to 20pts the 2 seasons before that only playing 50 some odd games, but you have to consider that too, what are the chances he plays 82 games?

Pretty low I'd say.

Assuming he doesn't get repeatedly sent to the ahl... I would say it is actually likely (assuming he doesn't get suspended either)

He's been a full time NHLer the past 6 seasons. In those 6 seasons, he's averaged 64 games a year, only 1 year has he appeared in more than 72 games.

I'm not disputing whether it's likely he'll play 82 games a season, just wondering why that would be likely. Based on history, I'd lean more towards it not being likely at all. Ignoring suspensions, as you say, the style of game he plays is high risk when it comes to potential injury, especially for a smaller guy. Ignoring all that, you also have to consider whether he'd ever be a healthy scratch or not.

He's been a full time NHLer the past 6 seasons. In those 6 seasons, he's averaged 64 games a year, only 1 year has he appeared in more than 72 games.

I'm not disputing whether it's likely he'll play 82 games a season, just wondering why that would be likely. Based on history, I'd lean more towards it not being likely at all. Ignoring suspensions, as you say, the style of game he plays is high risk when it comes to potential injury, especially for a smaller guy. Ignoring all that, you also have to consider whether he'd ever be a healthy scratch or not.

Nashville scratched him several times last year in favour of kostitsyn

Thank Bettman for that.

Tootoo didn't do anything to be thrown out.

ya I didn't get that, I've watched the "penalty" several times now, and there was absolutely nothing wrong. They exchanged a few words, the game kept going and that was it. Then out of nowhere he has a 10 minute misconduct?

ya I didn't get that, I've watched the "penalty" several times now, and there was absolutely nothing wrong. They exchanged a few words, the game kept going and that was it. Then out of nowhere he has a 10 minute misconduct?

The NHL has been doing that for years, and I don't understand it. They are trying to 'calm' the game down, but IMO having two willing fighters (or one asking the other) is the best way to do that.

The NHL has been doing that for years, and I don't understand it. They are trying to 'calm' the game down, but IMO having two willing fighters (or one asking the other) is the best way to do that.

The only thing I see possible is because tootoo came at polak hard but missed him and crashed the boards and polak was crying about it? but tootoo never even hit him...

The only thing I see possible is because tootoo came at polak hard but missed him and crashed the boards and polak was crying about it? but tootoo never even hit him...

I said this in the GDT, but this happened a lot in the first round of the playoffs last season.

Remember when towards the end of games, tough guys were being thrown out for jawing with other players or pushing and shoving? It's like proactive officiating. The refs were instructed by the league to throw tough guys out of games late, so that nothing would eventually escalate. The league was probably upset by the bad publicity the first round received last year.

This makes guys like Tootoo, and certainly enforcers, completely obsolete when they're not even allowed to do their jobs. It's like creating a new set of rules that don't already exist.

10 minute misconduct for being a tough guy and potentially starting a later altercation. Nice one NHL.

:thumbdown: