166 replies to this topic

#141 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

My observation exactly.  He got rocked by those upper cuts and I thought he was down and out, but then I was amazed at how he shook it off in an instant and picked up the pace again, inflicting a lot of damage after that point. I thought the team was inspired more to seeing that there is no quit in Toots rather than to wether he won or lost. 

Sugar Ray used to call it being in "The Dark Closet" when a guy gets rocked like that, and how most guys can never fight there way back out of the Dark Closet.  I think Toots saw the lights flickering, and kicked it into high gear instead of letting himself get shut down. That's an amazing thing to witness. No Quit in Toots, that's for damn sure.

It was hard to say for sure, but it looks like about all of those upper-cuts missed, grazing off the left or right side of his face. I don't really think he was fazed all that much by it.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#142 stewess

stewess

Draftee

• 12 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I still think starting fights like this at the start of the game without any reason is just ridiculous. Yes hockey is a physical sport but I want to see emotions, not such artificial crap. Completely surreal, maybe fun to watch once when it was unexpected but over and over again is annoying. Come on, give it up and do those hits during the game.

Edited by stewess, 30 January 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#143 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I still think starting fights like this at the start of the game without any reason is just ridiculous. Yes hockey is a physical sport but I want to see emotions, not such artificial crap. Completely surreal, maybe fun to watch once when it was unexpected but over and over again is annoying. Come on, give it up and do those hits during the game.

In general I agree, though for me that's overshadowed by having someone on the Wings that will actually drop the gloves. 

But yeah, staged fights, especially on the opening faceoff are kind of lame. 

#144 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Ok, i agree with no lame whistles BUT i do think the Joe needs to come up with a song afer Tootoo has a fight. Songs are big at the Joe- remember when Dan Cleary used to actually score and they would play " I can see clearly now?' We need a 22 fight song! :music: 

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#145 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

In general I agree, though for me that's overshadowed by having someone on the Wings that will actually drop the gloves. 

But yeah, staged fights, especially on the opening faceoff are kind of lame. 

IIRC, McCarty and Lemieux had a staged fight once, maybe around 98/99 (not the "turtling" fight, but still in the midst of the bad blood between the Wings and the Avs).  In that instance, I was completely ok with a staged fight.  But that's the exception, not the rule...

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#146 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

I, for one, love the fights... at any time of the game. Keep em' coming toots!

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#147 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,442 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

While I partially agree with this, I don't think it so much "staged" as it was a few stars wanted a little revenge for past behavior from toots and he knew that thats why they asked their respective coaches if they could get it over with at the start instead of interrupting the game a ruining a potential scoring opportunity. That's just my take on it, not a fact so don't get riled up about it :)

#148 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Has anyone else noticed that while Tootoo is a pretty good skater, he's awful at trying to stop?  I guess if you've been hitting guys your whole life there's probably no reason to learn how to stop, but if you watch you'll get a kick out of it.  Who was the kid from the Mighty Ducks movies who couldn't stop?   Love the guy, and love that once he gets going he's either hitting a defenseman or hitting the glass, but he's never stopping. 

Luis Mendoza! Haha he learned eventually..

"I stopped!"

"Put it in Luis!!"

Also, this.... :P

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=9bMci0fUXME

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#149 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

IIRC, McCarty and Lemieux had a staged fight once, maybe around 98/99 (not the "turtling" fight, but still in the midst of the bad blood between the Wings and the Avs).  In that instance, I was completely ok with a staged fight.  But that's the exception, not the rule...

Agreed.  Because in that case there was already a lot of bad blood and scores to settle.  If it's from some prior incident earlier in the season that's totally fine.  

I'm guessing it was this one?   If memory serves that was Lemieux basically trying to redeem himself after turtling in the infamous brawl. 

(courtesy of hockeyfights and youtube)

#150 Jedi

Jedi

In this town of Halloween...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Agreed.  Because in that case there was already a lot of bad blood and scores to settle.  If it's from some prior incident earlier in the season that's totally fine.  

I'm guessing it was this one?   If memory serves that was Lemieux basically trying to redeem himself after turtling in the infamous brawl. 

(courtesy of hockeyfights and youtube)

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of.

y4m8.png
"Come with us and you will see, this our town of Halloween..."

#151 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

"This is a statement by Claude Lemeuix to the Detroit Red Wings."

That he can get beat up while staying on his skates as well?

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#152 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,827 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I doubt fans at the JLA care whether the fight was staged or not.  They've been waiting for a fighter for like 3 years now.  

BTW, I would cream myself if Franzen had an opening faceoff fight.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 30 January 2013 - 04:02 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#153 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

He would have to carefully pick his spot...maybe Alexander Semin?

works every time

#154 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,827 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

He would have to carefully pick his spot...maybe Alexander Semin?

No way.  

Semin has the fastest hands since Craig Berube.  He would light Franzen up.  

#155 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,442 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I doubt fans at the JLA care whether the fight was staged or not.  They've been waiting for a fighter for like 3 years now.  

You want him to break his jaw?

#156 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,827 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

You want him to break his jaw?

Exactly.

I want to see Franzen break Jackman's jaw in the next game.  

#157 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Ok, i agree with no lame whistles BUT i do think the Joe needs to come up with a song afer Tootoo has a fight. Songs are big at the Joe- remember when Dan Cleary used to actually score and they would play " I can see clearly now?' We need a 22 fight song! :music: 

This would be a great one when someone gets Kronwalled

No way.  

Semin has the fastest hands since Craig Berube.  He would light Franzen up.  

2 softies

#158 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

NO, please, no!  Just stand up and cheer everytime and rock the house! 

In the spirit of good sport let's form an "inside" competition where the whistle tooters will toot there whistles for the Toot's and everyone else simply stands up and cheers as loud as they can for the Toots.  Each group tries to drown out the sound of the other thus creating a "rocked house".  Also we could trade in the whistles for red whoopie cushions, they are much quieter but funny as hell.  

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#159 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Someone needs to post 'choo choo' from the SNL
Leatherman sketches with Fallon and Sanz. It sure sounds like Fallon calls him too too but even though its Choo choo, I feel confident it will work in this thread:)

#160 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,920 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

Wasn't this one carry-over from the last game?

I believe that Dillon had asked Tootoo to dance at the end of Tootoo's shift and they never got to it.

That would make this unfinished business.

Regardless.  I'd rather see a real fight than a staged one, but even a staged one is better than nothing as long as it's only occasional.

If nothing else, we got some nice energy from it.

Oh- and for the gals in the Hot Wings thread:  Remember, ladies, I dibbsed him first.