• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Adidarw

Wings top 2 FWD lines starting the season

Rate this topic

Per fantasy hockey player notes on Yahoo Fantasy hockey, here is some information I found (sorry if this is not news to anybody, but its something. News to me):

Pavel Datsyuk player note:

Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock will open the season with Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg on the same line joined by free-agent addition Damien Brunner, MLive.com reports.

Johan Franzen player note:

Head coach Mike Babcock wants Franzen to fill the void of Tomas Holmstrom, so look for him to camp out in front of opposing netminders and see significant time with the man advantage to begin the season. Initially, Franzen is expected to skate with Valtteri Filppula and Mikael Samuelsson at even strength on the team's second line.

(Rotowire.com)

Gustav Nyquist player note:

Nyquist is currently expected to open the NHL season back at Grand Rapids (AHL), MLive.com reports.

Recommendation: It may simply be a case where Nyquist has to wait until injuries create a more pressing need in the top-six forward ranks for the Wings, as he's eventually going to have a prominent role. Initially, Damien Brunner and Mikael Samuelsson will handle roles skating on the top two lines, but neither winger's spot as a top-six forward is guaranteed.

(Rotowire.com)

I like the idea of Nyquist staying in Grand Rapids. Given their place in the standings and the fact that they're contending for the first time in years, I think he means a lot more to the Griffins right now than he would the Red Wings.

I have a feeling that Nyquist will spend more time in Detroit than Grand Rapids the rest of the season. If come the 3rd week of the season the Wings dont have 2-3 guys out already I will be 100% surprised. Its something I expect to see from most every team. The teams that have stronger AHL callups will have a big advantage this year.