• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,247 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Lots can happen in a short season. Only hope is that we make it into the playoffs healthy and ready to roll for a shot at Stanley

Agreed.

And I think people are probably ranking the Wings low not necessarily because they're bad, but because when you look at the Wings blueline there are a whole lot of question marks.  

They lost not just their #1 d-man but one of the greatest D-men to ever play the game.  Lids was logging almost 24 minutes a night, and still at a high level.  

So on defense it's: 

how will White perform without Lids?  

Can Kronwall step up?

Will Ericsson continue to improve and fill the greater role they need from him?

Will Quincey fit in and improve his consistency?

How will Smith do as a rookie?  

What will become of Kindl?

Will Cola stay healthy and play well?

The Wings success will depend greatly on what the answers to those questions are. 

Then on offense they really need their top guys to produce, and there's the unknown of how the young guys will do.

#22 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Not sure why anyone would be so quick to say Colaiacovo will be better for us than Stuart was. That, to me, is a head-scratcher.

For large parts of the season last year it was quite clear his head was already in California.  Served us well but if Cola stays healthy I think the comparison is just fine.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#23 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

We're too focused on losing/gaining players. Teams who lose players get better, we've seen it happen. And teams who acquire more talent somehow end up worse. Because there's too much of an on paper type of roster-stack mentality. Like we're comparing NHL 13 lineups. Sometimes what you lose in one player, you can make up for with hard work. We're so obsessed with losing Nick that we forget two vital things. One, he was on a level by himself but he was only half of the ice for half of the game. We still have an entire team that functions as a team. And second, and this isn't his fault but the last couple years even with him here we were lazy as all hell. We were the guy who jogged and thought his dangles could make up for it while the harder working less skilled guy stole the puck from him eventually. That was our playoff series in a nutshell, and our whole season in a nutshell. What we lose in Nick we can more than make up for in footwork if we're willing. No other team ever had Nick but many were successful and some won championships. Go look at us in 08-we're busting serious ass. Even Mule is skating hard. The entire team working hard is much more important than one player, no matter who it is.

I guess I should make a quick prediction...

Central:

1. STL

2. DET

3. CHI

4. NSH

5. COL

WEST:

1.  LA

2. STL

3. VAN

4. DET

5. MIN

6. CHI

7. PHO

8. DAL

I think the Preds and Sharks start slow and catch up later and Dallas surprises people by starting super quick and dropping off later, but remaining in 8th by the midway point. I think we'll have the points to be second or third but go to 4th because we're not leading the division (a silly rule). This is of course assuming we try. If we don't like we haven't the last couple seasons we could drop to 7th or 8th. The standings for the first half will have a lot to do with the health of teams around the league more than ever.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 16 January 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#24 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,184 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

If we're just talking about last season, then maybe I can see it. But overall? Stuart was great for us. Colaiacovo misses about 90 games a season, and, when healthy, he wasn't exactly a top-4 fixture on the Blues' back-end.

I'm expecting good things from him, don't get me wrong. I guess I'm looking more in Quincey's direction, re: filling Stuart's void.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#25 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

wrong fkn thread

Edited by evilzyme, 16 January 2013 - 01:52 PM.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#26 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Central Division

1.Red Wings

2.Blues

3.Blackhawks

4.Predators

4.Blue Jackets

Western Conference

1. Kings

2. Red Wings

3. Wild

4. Canucks

5. Blackhawks

6. Oilers

7. Sharks

8. Avalanche

Hart - Crosby

Richard - Stamkos

Vezina - Quick

Norris - Doughty

Calder - Brunner

Lady Byng - Eberle

Selke - Datsyuk

Jack Adams - Ralph Krueger

Masterton - Eaves

Ted Lindsay - Crosby

Messier - Zetterberg

GM - Steve Tambellini

be about it!

#27 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Calder - Brunner

He's not eligible....too old.

#28 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

He's not eligible....too old.

oh snap you are absolutely right.

I will take the easy way out and go with Yakupov

be about it!

#29 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="toby91_ca" data-cid="2340645" data-time="1358363547"><p>
He's not eligible....too old.</p></blockquote>

Would smith be eligible? Not sure how that works, since he wasn't up much last year, is this year still considered his rookie season?

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#30 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

1. Chicago

2. Vancouver

3. LA

4. St.Louis

5. Minnesota

6.San Jose

7. Nashville

8. Detroit

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#31 Zetterling

Zetterling

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Central:

1. STL

2. CHI

3. DET

4. NSH

5. CBJ

WEST:

1. STL

2. MIN

3. LA

4.CHI

5. PHO

6. SJ

7. DET

8. ANA

#32 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="toby91_ca" data-cid="2340645" data-time="1358363547"><p>
He's not eligible....too old.</p></blockquote>

Would smith be eligible? Not sure how that works, since he wasn't up much last year, is this year still considered his rookie season?

Yes, he would have to play a minimum 25 games (not sure if it's less for a 48 game season) or 6 games in two consecutive seasons. Smith has done neither, Smith for Calder!!

#33 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Yes, he would have to play a minimum 25 games (not sure if it's less for a 48 game season) or 6 games in two consecutive seasons. Smith has done neither, Smith for Calder!!

The only way you'd consider whether the 25 games would need to be shorter because of a shorter regular season would be if last season was a short season.  Since it wasn't, the 25 game rule applies and he only played 14.  This year has nothing to do with it.  Even if last year was a shortened season though, you would still use the 25 games as the limit, so it really doesn't matter.

#34 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

The only way you'd consider whether the 25 games would need to be shorter because of a shorter regular season would be if last season was a short season.  Since it wasn't, the 25 game rule applies and he only played 14.  This year has nothing to do with it.  Even if last year was a shortened season though, you would still use the 25 games as the limit, so it really doesn't matter.

Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant by that my fault. I meant I'm not sure if it is 25 games for this 48 game season for any upcoming rookies that play. As long as smith plays at least 6 games (which he most likely play all 48 unless he gets injured) he will not be a rookie next year, and I know last season doesn't matter because he only played 14. 

#35 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Euro_Twins" data-cid="2340694" data-time="1358367571"><p>
 <br />
Yes, he would have to play a minimum 25 games (not sure if it's less for a 48 game season) or 6 games in two consecutive seasons. Smith has done neither, Smith for Calder!!</p></blockquote>

Smith for Calder sounds good to me! Haha thanks

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#36 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

If we're just talking about last season, then maybe I can see it. But overall? Stuart was great for us. Colaiacovo misses about 90 games a season, and, when healthy, he wasn't exactly a top-4 fixture on the Blues' back-end.

I'm expecting good things from him, don't get me wrong. I guess I'm looking more in Quincey's direction, re: filling Stuart's void.

Actually, he played on St Louis' top pair with Pietrangelo last season in St Louis. The guy is a very good player when he can stay on the ice, as far as comparisons to Stewie, based on last season, as long as he isn't flat out dreadful, he'll be better. Overall we'll have to wait and see, but Stewie had checked out by midseason last year.

#NOMOREKINDL

#37 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

I don't understand why people are ranking the Wings so low, just because of Lidstrom.  I mean, I know he's great and all, but he's not the whole team.  There are plenty of teams that won the Stanley Cup without Nick Lidstrom in their line up, we can too.  We have more depth and speed up front.  While other teams are cramming in as much training camp as they can before the season, Datsyuk is already in midseason form and Zetterberg and Brunner have been playing together, developing chemistry for the past few months over in Switzerland.  IMO, Kronwall can be the next Scott Stevens.  That hard hitting, stay-at-home defensive style with a big shot from the point every now and then.  Colaiacovo is a very solid pick up for us.  I think he's an improvement over Stuart.  Plus, we have Brendan Smith, who is really motivated and excited to be playing in the NHL this year.  People complain so often during the season that the Wings looked lazy or "unmotivated" out there.  We have plenty of new blood in our lineup that should change that perception.

I think the pessimists and the critics who have been predicting the Wings downfall for over a decade now are going to be surprised/disappointed.

Just because of Lidström? Have you watched the team, when he was hurt it was a free downfall. Sure as great as he is, he wasn't the entire team but he ran our powerplay, Holmer deflacted shots and screened goalies,who is running our powerplay or deflacting shots now?

Kronwall has huge steps to go to be mentioned in the same sentence as Stevens, not saying he is bad but for sure not a 1 defenseman. Colaiacovo - what a name - was a depth signing so Iexpect him to come in and contribute defensively.

There is a difference between being a critic, realist or pessimist. After the Yzerman era we already had Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidström and later Hasek in place now we are down to Zetterberg, Datsyuk with a lot of question marks on the blueline, goaltending and defense so forgive me for being worried.

Edited by frankgrimes, 17 January 2013 - 04:55 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#38 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

With Holland already in damage control mode about the Wings possibly not making the playoffs, I think 7-9 is the safest bet for the Wing's landing spot.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#39 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Just because of Lidström? Have you watched the team, when he was hurt it was a free downfall. Sure as great as he is, he wasn't the entire team but he ran our powerplay, Holmer deflacted shots and screened goalies,who is running our powerplay or deflacting shots now?

Kronwall has huge steps to go to be mentioned in the same sentence as Stevens, not saying he is bad but for sure not a 1 defenseman. Colaiacovo - what a name - was a depth signing so Iexpect him to come in and contribute defensively.

There is a difference between being a critic, realist or pessimist. After the Yzerman era we already had Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Lidström and later Hasek in place now we are down to Zetterberg, Datsyuk with a lot of question marks on the blueline, goaltending and defense so forgive me for being worried.

I'm sorry but I absolutely HATE when people try to argue that the team will resemble anything of what it was when Lidstrom was injured. There is a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference between losing someone during the off-season and losing someone to an injury in the middle of the season. In the middle of the season you have to rely on your depth, and you have to rely on those pieces to magically pick up the system and play to their full potential. Not going to happen. When you lose someone during the off-season, you get to train people to take spots, pick up new roles, exercise and get them equated to the system.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#40 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I'm sorry but I absolutely HATE when people try to argue that the team will resemble anything of what it was when Lidstrom was injured. There is a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference between losing someone during the off-season and losing someone to an injury in the middle of the season. In the middle of the season you have to rely on your depth, and you have to rely on those pieces to magically pick up the system and play to their full potential. Not going to happen. When you lose someone during the off-season, you get to train people to take spots, pick up new roles, exercise and get them equated to the system.

Stop it with this silly rational thinking and sound logic. We need more panic! We need to assume Holland is in damage control mode and freaking out with doomsday predictions of no playoffs!