• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsFan19

Detroit Red Wings Impact Players: Jonathan Ericsson

Rate this topic

Each day this week leading up to the start of the 2013 NHL season I will profile one returning Detroit Red Wings player who needs to elevate their game to ensure the Wings have a successful season and make the playoffs for a NHL best 22 straight seasons.

Jonathan Ericsson

http://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-impact-players-jonathan-ericsson/

He's become pretty underrated by Wings fans. Last year he was rock solid. He made the small, simple plays that are easy to forget but contribute greatly to our success. With the way we irrationally choose whipping boys and refuse to let go of that rep, he's in the position where he has to prove he can, rather than has to prove he can't. And when that happens a guy can make 10 great plays and they all get forgotten. But when he makes one bad play, we blow it out of proportion because we're too stubborn. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the top line with Kronwall since I think Nik is closer to Nick than we think in play style.

He's become pretty underrated by Wings fans. Last year he was rock solid. He made the small, simple plays that are easy to forget but contribute greatly to our success. With the way we irrationally choose whipping boys and refuse to let go of that rep, he's in the position where he has to prove he can, rather than has to prove he can't. And when that happens a guy can make 10 great plays and they all get forgotten. But when he makes one bad play, we blow it out of proportion because we're too stubborn. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the top line with Kronwall since I think Nik is closer to Nick than we think in play style.

He's underrated and hated on mostly due to his negligence to use that big body of his. He could really box and oppose his body on the opponent but he will just stare at them sometimes and it's frustrating. I think last night we saw some really good improvements with Big Rig. It was funny hearing cleary chirp him on the face-off saying, "I knew that wasn't straight in... i knew that wasn't straight in.... that muffin of a shot" making fun of his shot hahaha. He had awesome form on that 1T though. I think we'll see some big improvements on big rig just like last season.

Guest Crymson

He'd best do three things if he wants to be successful: one, improve his situational awareness; two, use his size more; and three, use his shot more often and more wisely.

He's got all the tools, which is why I'm so critical of him when he botches up.

I'm a little surprised you guys think he has all the tools.

As you may remember I've defended Ericsson a lot here over the last couple seasons, but even I wouldn't say he has all the tools. Someone like Jiri Fischer had all the tools and was really starting to get it together before his heart incident.

Ericsson has a great first pass, is decent positionally and has stepped up his physical game. But to me there's always an element of his game where he looks like the converted forward that he is. He doesn't have the refined instincts of d-men who do have all the tools.

When he keeps it simple and uses his size, he's a solid middle pairing d-man. Which is still quite a find for the Wings given he was dead last and outperformed a high draft pick like Kindl.

I wish he would work on his slapper. People talk about what a cannon it is, but it's useless in the NHL with that long slow windup. He needs to work on getting it off faster and getting it through bodies.

I'm a little surprised you guys think he has all the tools.

As you may remember I've defended Ericsson a lot here over the last couple seasons, but even I wouldn't say he has all the tools. Someone like Jiri Fischer had all the tools and was really starting to get it together before his heart incident.

Ericsson has a great first pass, is decent positionally and has stepped up his physical game. But to me there's always an element of his game where he looks like the converted forward that he is. He doesn't have the refined instincts of d-men who do have all the tools.

When he keeps it simple and uses his size, he's a solid middle pairing d-man. Which is still quite a find for the Wings given he was dead last and outperformed a high draft pick like Kindl.

I wish he would work on his slapper. People talk about what a cannon it is, but it's useless in the NHL with that long slow windup. He needs to work on getting it off faster and getting it through bodies.

It's kinda funny how slow his windup is for his slapper when his wrist shot is quick as hell, and strong too. If you ask me, getting it to the net is priority #1. Shot power doesn't bother me, as long as it gets there with bodies around.