• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Z Winged Dangler

Kronwall IS a #1 Dman

Rate this topic

Living in the shadows of Nick Lidstrom would make any other Dman on a team appear less worthy. Take away Lids and we have Kronwall whom despite the fact that we've been so spoiled with Lids, is a #1 D. Putting up 40-50ish points on the 2nd pairing is no accident. The only reason he wasn't on the first pairing with Lids was to spread the wealth. If anyone here is under the impression that Kronner won't be a legit #1 guy, his play this year will undoubtedly speak for itself. People are sceaming for the likes of Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo etc, but Kronwall is every bit as valuable as all of them. Wait for his name to be in Norris talks and everyone will be on board.

Sorry but I disagree:

Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo, Letang are elite. Kronwall is a great second pairing guy just like White but he is not and probably at the age of 30 will never be a number 1. The reason why the Wings urgently need a number 1 defenseman is simple; to create a top and a very solid second pairing, as of now this team doesn't have that.

Sorry but I disagree:

Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo, Letang are elite. Kronwall is a great second pairing guy just like White but he is not and probably at the age of 30 will never be a number 1. The reason why the Wings urgently need a number 1 defenseman is simple; to create a top and a very solid second pairing, as of now this team doesn't have that.

Theres a difference between elite and good #1 defenders. You can be a good #1 and not be elite. There are only going to be 4-5 "elite" defenders playing in the league. Does than mean that 25 other teams dont have legitimate #1 defenders?

Theres a difference between elite and good #1 defenders. You can be a good #1 and not be elite. There are only going to be 4-5 "elite" defenders playing in the league. Does than mean that 25 other teams dont have legitimate #1 defenders?

Well the mentioned players are clearly in another league note elite, but how about Brent Seabrook, Duncan Keith? I think he is better than Kronwall, for sure not elite but a "real" top pairing guy.

Edited by frankgrimes

A player like Lidstrom comes around every 90 years or so. He was just that good.

Kronwall is a legit #1 Dman and I think he is an elite defenseman because of his hitting power, shot, and so on. Is Weber better? I think Weber's shot is better, but he doesn't have the open ice hitting power of Kronwall. Still, Kronwall is an elite defenseman for sure.

A player like Lidstrom comes around every 90 years or so. He was just that good.

Kronwall is a legit #1 Dman and I think he is an elite defenseman because of his hitting power, shot, and so on. Is Weber better? I think Weber's shot is better, but he doesn't have the open ice hitting power of Kronwall. Still, Kronwall is an elite defenseman for sure.

Weber, Shea Weber ? Although I don't like him the guy is a beast on skates, with Lidström and soon Chara gone he is destinated for a few Norris trophies although Suter has covered up a lot of his mistakes, so he could be the offensive force we saw last season.

Weber can fight may not be an enforcer but he can definately fight, would have loved seeing us getting John Scott and invite Weber to dance, doubt he would have accepted.

This season will show us if Kronwall is a #1 so let's enjoy the ride., go Wings.

Edited by frankgrimes

I dont know about Weber. The guy is huge and his shot is devastating but I feel having Suter with him allowed him to look a lot better than he really is. Im not saying hes a scrub but by himself I dont see a Norris worthy defender. Im thinking this could be his worst season in a while. Just my opinion though. Im just as likely to be completely wrong.

Sorry but I disagree:

Pietrangelo on the same level as Weber, Suter and Letang...? Really? He's had two damn fine seasons in two years but I don't think it's fair to put him on that level just yet... if his play holds up this season (and it likely will) we can talk. In the mean time I'd say he's justa hair below the very top teir in this league.

I dont know about Weber. The guy is huge and his shot is devastating but I feel having Suter with him allowed him to look a lot better than he really is. Im not saying hes a scrub but by himself I dont see a Norris worthy defender. Im thinking this could be his worst season in a while. Just my opinion though. Im just as likely to be completely wrong.

Ehhhh... Weber's a better defensive player than the guy who won the Norris this past season.

Some people rise to the occasion when the "number 1" is out. Malkin is a very good player when Crosby is in line up- he is the BEST offensive hockey player in the world when he is out of it. Krons and Nick played such different games that Kronwall has never really been given a chance to show off what he can do. We will soon find out but I think Kronwall is ready!

Am I the only one that finds it a little weird that Kronwall is 32 years old? I guess him really breaking into the roster at 25 or 26 makes me think he's younger than he is.

I think we'll find out how good Kronwall really is this year. Part of the problem I see is not that he can't replace Lidstrom (prime Lidstrom anyway), we know that, but even if he is a legit, elite, #1 Dman, we had that for 20 years + at least 2 or 3 other really good Dmen. Not sure that is the case now. We'll see.

On Weber, I think this season may show a lot as well. Some think he might struggle, but I've seen others thinking he may have a career year. I've seen him picked by a lot of analysts as the Norris winner this year.

There is no conceivable way to compare anyone in the entire league or on our roster to Lidstrom. He was a god among men on the ice.

Kronwall & Ericsson both could be #1 d men. But no one in the entire league is on par with Lidstrom back there.

Sorry but I disagree:

I've almost thought of Kronwall and Letang as being at a similar level (not similar style). Maybe Letang a bit higher, but not much. I think Letang really started to breakout last year, but then he got hurt. We'll see where he's at now. He's much cheaper than Kronwall. I guess the other big difference is that he is more than 6 years younger, so he's likely to improve.

There is no conceivable way to compare anyone in the entire league or on our roster to Lidstrom. He was a god among men on the ice.

Kronwall & Ericsson both could be #1 d men. But no one in the entire league is on par with Lidstrom back there.

I think people get caught up a bit in that, but you have to think about LIdstrom as the guy playing his last year of his career....that's a bit easier to replace than Lidstrom in his prime.

I've almost thought of Kronwall and Letang as being at a similar level (not similar style). Maybe Letang a bit higher, but not much. I think Letang really started to breakout last year, but then he got hurt. We'll see where he's at now. He's much cheaper than Kronwall. I guess the other big difference is that he is more than 6 years younger, so he's likely to improve.

I think people get caught up a bit in that, but you have to think about LIdstrom as the guy playing his last year of his career....that's a bit easier to replace than Lidstrom in his prime.

A bit easier? Lidstrom at 40 was better than weber at 26, Chara in his prime, suter, pietrangelo, letang, and so on. The only player in the last 20 years who even compared to him was Vladdy, and unfortunately negligence stole him from us. no one can replace lids, not in his prime, not at 40, not ever.

I've always been a believer that Kronwall can become one of the best d-men in the league. He has all the tools. And at times he has been that guy, the offensively skilled, hard-hitting and defensively sound guy. His major problem as I see it has been consistency, and part of that has been due to injuries.

With Lids gone he needs to find that high-level of consistent play and hopefully stay healthy.

Overall I think our D will do the job this year. I have faith in Smith, I think Ericsson has started to become very solid, and all we need is for either Colo or Kindl to not completely suck ass and we're fine, or atleast good enough.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey
The only player in the last 20 years who even compared to him was Vladdy

seriously? lol

Guest The Axe

First of all, Pronger and Chara are the ONLY defensemen that should even be mentioned in the same breath as Lidstrom. Letang? Gimme a break. Lids was the best of the best.

Kronwall will do well this year.

seriously? lol
First of all, Pronger and Chara are the ONLY defensemen that should even be mentioned in the same breath as Lidstrom. Letang? Gimme a break. Lids was the best of the best.

Kronwall will do well this year.

Yes seriously, Konstantinov was almost as good, if not just as good as Lidstrom. He played differently but he was certainly elite. and chara and pronger aren't nearly as good either. I mentioned Letang only because someone else had mentioned Letang

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Euro_Twins" data-cid="2340882" data-time="1358439671"><p>

<br />

<br />

<br />

Yes seriously, Konstantinov was almost as good, if not just as good as Lidstrom. He played differently but he was certainly elite. and chara and pronger aren't nearly as good either. I mentioned Letang only because someone else had mentioned Letang</p></blockquote>

As long as we can agree that comparing Letang to Lidstrom is a fricking joke.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

pronger was definitely on lidstrom's level at one point, it was just brief compared to lidstrom being dominant for nearly 2 decades. anyone that claims otherwise is insane.

also, there's this guy called ray bourque you may have heard of.

lidstrom was the best defenseman in the league for over a decade, but let's not pretend the only other player near his level was konstantinov. that's homerism taken to a disgusting extent.

As long as we can agree that comparing Letang to Lidstrom is a fricking joke.

Maybe I missed the comments, but I didn't think anyone compared Letang to Lidstrom (could have missread though). I thought Letang's name came up when referring to who the elite dmen are in the league, that's about as far as it went.

That said though, at the same age as Letang, Lidstrom was about 5 years away from winning his first Norris trophy. That said, yes, it would be a joke to even think about comparing him to Lidstrom.

I started a thread about this a year ago, and most people agreed that Kronwall was NOT a #1 defenseman, and that Holland would find someone else to fill that role, with Kronwall complementing them.

I wonder what's changed since then?

What's changed is that they didn't get someone else to fit that role so we now have to convince ourselves that Kronwall will be the man.

Let's not kid ourselves, Management sure as hell tried to get someone. I'm sure they hope the current guys step up, but there has to be some level of concern.

Maybe I missed the comments, but I didn't think anyone compared Letang to Lidstrom (could have missread though). I thought Letang's name came up when referring to who the elite dmen are in the league, that's about as far as it went.

That said though, at the same age as Letang, Lidstrom was about 5 years away from winning his first Norris trophy. That said, yes, it would be a joke to even think about comparing him to Lidstrom.

What's changed is that they didn't get someone else to fit that role so we now have to convince ourselves that Kronwall will be the man.

Let's not kid ourselves, Management sure as hell tried to get someone. I'm sure they hope the current guys step up, but there has to be some level of concern.

Actually, I misstated myself. Looks like reactions were mixed in the thread. I've linked it below.

Many people did think Kronwall could be #1, but they obviously didn't think he could fill Lidstrom's shoes. I don't know if anyone could. He's the toughest #1 to replace around the league.

Here's the thread:

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic/69705-kronwalls-new-role/?hl=kronwall

pronger was definitely on lidstrom's level at one point, it was just brief compared to lidstrom being dominant for nearly 2 decades. anyone that claims otherwise is insane.

also, there's this guy called ray bourque you may have heard of.

lidstrom was the best defenseman in the league for over a decade, but let's not pretend the only other player near his level was konstantinov. that's homerism taken to a disgusting extent.

Ok you're right I will conceive to Bourque, also I bring Vladdy up because he was poised to be better than Lidstrom before the accident