• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockey13Playa

GM Ken Holland says Red Wings might not make playoffs this year

Rate this topic

Hey all LGW'ers, it has been a while since I've posted. I've lurked a lot but have been out of the posting game. Anways, enough of that...

I found this article over on CBS Sports, and I can't beleive he said this... Just wanted everyones thoughts on the article and what they think:

"There's the possibility that we might not make the playoffs this year," the Wings general manager said Wednesday at the Detroit Sportscasters Association luncheon at Hockeytown Cafe. "But nobody can run and hide from you any longer in this league. You can't stockpile players. You're constantly tweaking. You're constantly changing. And that's why all 16 teams that make the playoffs now can win the Stanley Cup."

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21569479/gm-ken-holland-says-red-wings-might-not-make-playoffs-this-year

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

and if that happens, the blame will lie right at holland's feet.

and if that happens, the blame will lie right at holland's feet.

Babcocks too. Simple truth is babs hasn't gotten them past 2nd round in 3 years, last year we had a first round loss. Holland and babs should be a bit worried, even with their proven track records. I do however (unlike holland) have faith we will not only make the playoffs, but have home ice in them too

It's a very real possibility, for a myriad of reasons. Losing our #1 and #3/4 defenseman in the offseason hurt, as well as being unable to sign a suitable replacement in Suter.

Also, the shortened season is working against us too. A 4 game losing streak in an 82 game schedule is an inconvenience. In a 48 game schedule, a 4 game losing streak could mean the difference between a 6/7/8 spot and a 9/10 spot.

That said, I think our defensive corps isn't quite as bad as others seem to think. Our 1/2 forward lines are skilled enough to put pucks in the net, and (once Helm returns) our 3/4 will work well to bring speed and grit to the lineup.

This team certainly can make the playoffs. But they've got to start strong, and make sure to respond to losses quickly, rather than let them stack.

He's absolutely right. The West is extremely competitive and will be even more so over a 48 game schedule. Even with a full 82, I figured the Wings would be battling to just get in.

This team needs a lot to go well (namely health and leaps in player development) to keep the playoff streak going.

Edited by GoWings1905

I don't see Babcock getting fired, but Holland probably will if that happens.

He just hasn't given Babcock enough to work with the last couple of seasons. There's only so much a coach can do with an old team that won't forecheck or score goals in the playoffs.

Holland tried to make moves last offseason, but came up woefully short. He'll pay the price if the Wings fail.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I think it's going to take a lot more than that for Holland to lose his job. He's been hog-tied by the salary cap, and while he did great getting currently signed players to take less and found a few diamonds-in-the-rough and reconstituted players, that opportunity is past. He's now struggling to find his way in uncharted territory for him, and I suspect Ilitch is going to give him a little more leeway.

The pessimism is astounding. The shortened season is working against us? Why is it working against us more than everybody else? Because we are older? But you could argue that the short season benefits the older guys and that the younger guys have less time to gain experience. It's all a matter of how you look at it. Detroit has the oldest team in the league but NJ is second and they lost in the finals last year.

Try to be objective people. Chicago did not improve, St. Louis did not improve, Nashville got worse, Columbus got worse. 7 teams in the west will not make the playoffs. IMO they are:

Columbus

Colorado

Minny

Edmonton

Calgary

Anaheim

Dallas

Phoenix

That's actually (8). Which 2 of those teams is better than us? I can't think of any Norris trophy candidates on any of those teams. We no longer have the best D-man in the West but neither do any of these 8.

I think Illitch is smarter than that. If we don't make the playoffs, Illitch will realize that Holland saw us through 21 seasons in which we have made the playoffs (the longest active streak in the 4 professional sports). He will realize the many factors that might bring us to that point and realize that the league is now designed to stop teams from having a prolonged dominance in the sport. Sadly, it seems, all fans will not have such a reasoned response.

I don't see Babcock getting fired, but Holland probably will if that happens.

He just hasn't given Babcock enough to work with the last couple of seasons. There's only so much a coach can do with an old team that won't forecheck or score goals in the playoffs.

Holland tried to make moves last offseason, but came up woefully short. He'll pay the price if the Wings fail.

I think this would be a bigger story if Holland already had his eggs in a basket and counted us as a playoff team. When you're in that mindframe, you won't make the playoffs because you view it as a given already. I would rather the team be under the impression that they won't be making the playoffs this year, so they have the motivation to prove otherwise. If anything, this would've fueled the team to prove Holland otherwise.

This comment doesn't trouble me at all, and it's even more benign than what Devellano said a few years ago when he basically said the fan base was spoiled by success (which, by the way, is true. And also a pretty damn good problem to have). A couple of seasons ago (I believe it was 2010-11), the Wings were not in Playoff position until about halfway through the season, due to injuries and other issues. I think Holland was just stating the obvious fact that a prolonged slow start of that type in a 48-game season...and there's no coming back from it.

The pessimism is astounding. The shortened season is working against us? Why is it working against us more than everybody else? Because we are older? But you could argue that the short season benefits the older guys and that the younger guys have less time to gain experience. It's all a matter of how you look at it. Detroit has the oldest team in the league but NJ is second and they lost in the finals last year.

Try to be objective people. Chicago did not improve, St. Louis did not improve, Nashville got worse, Columbus got worse. 7 teams in the west will not make the playoffs. IMO they are:

Columbus

Colorado

Minny

Edmonton

Calgary

Anaheim

Dallas

Phoenix

That's actually (8). Which 2 of those teams is better than us? I can't think of any Norris trophy candidates on any of those teams. We no longer have the best D-man in the West but neither do any of these 8.

Have to disagree there. I'd easily place them ahead CHI for example.

Have to disagree there. I'd easily place them ahead CHI for example.

Explain why? I would give Chicago the nod over Minny all day right now. A proven team that made minimal adjustments and added some size while the other added in right off the top of my head 3 brand new pieces. Grunland, Parise, and Suter. I honestly don't think Minny will kick it in gear this season. Next season after they develop some chemistry is when they could possibly be a threat but their defense isn't deep and it certainly has holes.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="chrisdetroit" data-cid="2340924" data-time="1358445133"><p>

The pessimism is astounding. The shortened season is working against us? Why is it working against us more than everybody else? Because we are older? But you could argue that the short season benefits the older guys and that the younger guys have less time to gain experience. It's all a matter of how you look at it. Detroit has the oldest team in the league but NJ is second and they lost in the finals last year.<br />

<br />

Try to be objective people. Chicago did not improve, St. Louis did not improve, Nashville got worse, Columbus got worse. 7 teams in the west will not make the playoffs. IMO they are:<br />

<br />

Columbus<br />

Colorado<br />

Minny<br />

Edmonton<br />

Calgary<br />

Anaheim<br />

Dallas<br />

Phoenix<br />

<br />

That's actually (8). Which 2 of those teams is better than us? I can't think of any Norris trophy candidates on any of those teams. We no longer have the best D-man in the West but neither do any of these 8.</p></blockquote>

In all of your "objective" points, you neglected mentioning the Red Wings team that won one playoff game also got worse. Lost two top-four defensemen and couldn't score goals when it mattered. The league has caught up and the Western Conference is very tough. It's not pessimism -- just reality and honest assessment of the current situation, which our own GM seems to agree with.

I still think the Red Wings get in the playoffs as a lower seed, but there's a very real chance they also miss out.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kipwinger" data-cid="2340950" data-time="1358448568"><p>

The Wings got worse on defense but improved their forward units and goal tending. I'm not so sure they "got worse" as you'd suggest.</p></blockquote>

The Flyers/Penguins method of winning 6-5 didn't work out too well and the Red Wings can't match either of those teams firepower up front.

The drop on defense is significant. The goaltending duo is improved, but can they steal games with this defense likely needing that?

He also said they could be #1 in the conference. But that isn't sensationalist enough, right? He's right. The forced parity of the NHL has made it so that every semi-competent team is going to be a clone of every other semi-competent team give or take a guy here and there. Everyone has a chance. It's going to more than ever come down to who actually gives the most effort and I think he knows that.

If you actually think Holland will get fired for missing the playoffs you need to get off of internet forums for awhile and check back into the real world.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

You guys who think Holland is going to get fired if the Wings miss the playoffs are crazy! Holland's going no where. If Holland was ever available, all the other 29 teams would be interested and Kenny could name his price.

Straight up. If we had a full season this year and missed the playoffs, a lot of blame would have been on Holland, and rightly so. But with this shortened season he kinda has an excuse if they miss the playoffs. A lot of bad teams will be making it, and a lot of good teams will be missing it. Sprint.

He also said they could be #1 in the conference. But that isn't sensationalist enough, right? He's right. The forced parity of the NHL has made it so that every semi-competent team is going to be a clone of every other semi-competent team give or take a guy here and there. Everyone has a chance. It's going to more than ever come down to who actually gives the most effort and I think he knows that.

If you actually think Holland will get fired for missing the playoffs you need to get off of internet forums for awhile and check back into the real world.

If you can't make your point without name calling people who disagree with you, better say nothing at all.

Even if this team doesn't make the playoffs, we all know its not because of Babcock, Holland or something else its because the best owner in all of sports has to pay into revenue sharing instead of using the money to improve the club and ice a stacked team. Thats why players should have decertified.