• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

He also said they could be #1 in the conference. But that isn't sensationalist enough, right? He's right. The forced parity of the NHL has made it so that every semi-competent team is going to be a clone of every other semi-competent team give or take a guy here and there. Everyone has a chance. It's going to more than ever come down to who actually gives the most effort and I think he knows that.

If you actually think Holland will get fired for missing the playoffs you need to get off of internet forums for awhile and check back into the real world.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 17 January 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#22 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

You guys who think Holland is going to get fired if the Wings miss the playoffs are crazy! Holland's going no where. If Holland was ever available, all the other 29 teams would be interested and Kenny could name his price.

Straight up. If we had a full season this year and missed the playoffs, a lot of blame would have been on Holland, and rightly so. But with this shortened season he kinda has an excuse if they miss the playoffs. A lot of bad teams will be making it, and a lot of good teams will be missing it. Sprint.

#23 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

He also said they could be #1 in the conference. But that isn't sensationalist enough, right? He's right. The forced parity of the NHL has made it so that every semi-competent team is going to be a clone of every other semi-competent team give or take a guy here and there. Everyone has a chance. It's going to more than ever come down to who actually gives the most effort and I think he knows that.

If you actually think Holland will get fired for missing the playoffs you need to get off of internet forums for awhile and check back into the real world.

If you can't make your point without name calling people who disagree with you, better say nothing at all.

Even if this team doesn't make the playoffs, we all know its not because of Babcock, Holland or something else its because the best owner in all of sports has to pay into revenue sharing instead of using the money to improve the club and ice a stacked team. Thats why players should have decertified.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

If we miss the playoffs...................

death.jpg

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#25 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

If you can't make your point without name calling people who disagree with you, better say nothing at all.

Um, what name did I call this person?

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 17 January 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#26 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Um, what name did I call this person?

You advised people to get back into the real world if they think Holland could get fired. I mean, we are discussing real world stuff - Red Wings Hockey - here.

Like I said I am saddened that some of the better owners (Dolan, Pegula, Mr. I, Aquilani, Snider) didn't speak out against this crap, I already don't like the new CBA, can't wait for some loopholes giving the Wings back some advantage.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#27 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

The pessimism is astounding.  The shortened season is working against us?  Why is it working against us more than everybody else?  Because we are older?  But you could argue that the short season benefits the older guys and that the younger guys have less time to gain experience.  It's all a matter of how you look at it.  Detroit has the oldest team in the league but NJ is second and they lost in the finals last year.

Try to be objective people.  Chicago did not improve, St. Louis did not improve, Nashville got worse, Columbus got worse.  7 teams in the west will not make the playoffs.  IMO they are:

Columbus

Colorado

Minny

Edmonton

Calgary

Anaheim

Dallas

Phoenix

That's actually (8).  Which 2 of those teams is better than us?  I can't think of any Norris trophy candidates on any of those teams.  We no longer have the best D-man in the West but neither do any of these 8.

I think Detroit will have a good (albeit shortened) season. The reason it does not benefit us so much is because We have all new lines needing to develop chemistry Dats and Brunner need to develop chemistry, franzen flip and sammy, cleary helm bert, miller tootoo abby, smith and quincey, colo and white

#28 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

You advised people to get back into the real world if they think Holland could get fired. I mean, we are discussing real world stuff - Red Wings Hockey - here.

Like I said I am saddened that some of the better owners (Dolan, Pegula, Mr. I, Aquilani, Snider) didn't speak out against this crap, I already don't like the new CBA, can't wait for some loopholes giving the Wings back some advantage.

Nah, I don't think I'm sorry for that. It's a legit suggestion and if you take offense to that it's because it's true. To think he'd get fired for missing the playoffs once is total forum doomsayer think.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 17 January 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#29 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Illitch will not fire Holland for missing the playoffs once in 22 years, that being said if it was even a thought, then babs would bbe on the chopping block as well

#30 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

I don't understand why this is such big news.

Every year, holland suggests that they aren't a lock for the playoffs, which is the right mindset imo. you never want to go into the year thinking that you are going to automatically make the playoffs just because you made it the previous year.

Illitch will not fire Holland for missing the playoffs once in 22 years, that being said if it was even a thought, then babs would bbe on the chopping block as well

babcock will be fired long before holland is

#31 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

I don't understand why this is such big news.

Every year, holland suggests that they aren't a lock for the playoffs, which is the right mindset imo. you never want to go into the year thinking that you are going to automatically make the playoffs just because you made it the previous year.

babcock will be fired long before holland is

This is the point I'm trying to make, if holland is in jeopardy, then so is babs

#32 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Even if this team doesn't make the playoffs, we all know its not because of Babcock, Holland or something else its because the best owner in all of sports has to pay into revenue sharing instead of using the money to improve the club and ice a stacked team. Thats why players should have decertified.

I'm actually happy that there's a salary cap. This means that you can't buy success like you could in the past. You need to have a good front office and a good system to be successful for many years in a row and not just money. To me it's a bit cheap if your team wins only because it has a billionaire as an owner. 

If you try to just buy success nowadays there's a huge risk it will bite you in the butt (Gomez, Redden, Bryzgalov, DiPietro).

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#33 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

I'm actually happy that there's a salary cap. This means that you can't buy success like you could in the past. You need to have a good front office and a good system to be successful for many years in a row and not just money. To me it's a bit cheap if your team wins only because it has a billionaire as an owner. 

If you try to just buy success nowadays there's a huge risk it will bite you in the butt (Gomez, Redden, Bryzgalov, DiPietro).

Back then you threw money at a problem. Nowadays you tank and throw draft picks at a problem. The cycle is getting predictable. Suck for a few years, acquire top end talent, be good for a few years. Then let someone else who sucked while you were good have a turn.

I think there's a more exciting even solution somewhere in the middle. Don't allow teams to spend like maniacs but don't hold back a team that would like to spend more than a team who won't bother. I just wish this were possible.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 17 January 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#34 gowingsgo

gowingsgo

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

The old days of signing who you want and blockbuster trade deadline deals are long done. Elite talent surrounded by the right role players and a hot goalie come playoff time will win Cups. Its a formula the front office needs to adapt to. 

NHL Playoffs = Mule Season. Lets Go Wings

#35 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

If we miss the playoffs...................

death.jpg

Oooooh!  Let me finish this sentence!

If we miss the playoffs......

A bunch of fairweather fans will leave the forums?  *Check*

A bunch of fairweather fans will stop buying tickets?  *Check*

A bunch of fairweather fans will start cheering for another NHL team?  *Check*

A bunch of fairweather fans will come back when the Red Wings start contending for a cup again?  *Check*

As a fan of the Red Wings, I am not concerned if the team makes the playoffs or not.  I am going to support the team no matter what.  Yes, I want to see a winner, but I don't put conditions on my support.  I support Ferris State Hockey because they are my Alma Mater.  They are playing .500 hockey this year, and there were years they were in the bottom half of the CCHA.  Yet, when they had a great run like last year, it was great.  Do I wish they could have a run like that every year?  Yes, but its not realistic considering the size of the school, importance of hockey in the program, and their budget.

The Red Wings have given me 20+ years of great memories.  I never even watched hockey before I went to college, and I fell in love with the sport when I went to my first game.  That being said, if they don't make the playoffs this year, big freaking deal.  The management will turn things around next season.  You have to realize that there are 29 other teams that are going to be competing for a playoff spot, and there are 22 teams that are playoff caliber teams.  Some playoff caliber teams are going to miss the playoffs this year.

Back then you threw money at a problem. Nowadays you tank and throw draft picks at a problem.

Yup, I agree.  There were two types of clubs though.  The Red Wings spent intelligently for the most part.  The Rangers did not.  Which is why the Rangers had the highest or one of the highest payrolls and missed the playoffs or got bounced in the first round.

The old days of signing who you want and blockbuster trade deadline deals are long done. Elite talent surrounded by the right role players and a hot goalie come playoff time will win Cups. Its a formula the front office needs to adapt to. 

Hrm....

Elite talent = Z, Dats, Franzen, Kronwall

Role Players = Helm, Samuellson, Abdelkader

Hot Goalie = Howard and Monster (possibly)

Sounds like we have a shot.

Course, you could plug names into those slots for 22 other teams in the league who feel they have a shot too.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#36 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

^Bingo. Every year we talk about a 9th or maybe even 10th seed team who was definitely playoff caliber (especially in the new NHL), but if we miss get ready for falling pieces of sky.

#37 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

^Bingo. Every year we talk about a 9th or maybe even 10th seed team who was definitely playoff caliber (especially in the new NHL), but if we miss get ready for falling pieces of sky.

The sky isn't falling.  Those are just the virtual bodies of the fairweather fans that jumped off the rooftops of buildings.  Prepare for impact!

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#38 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

The sky isn't falling.  Those are just the virtual bodies of the fairweather fans that jumped off the rooftops of buildings.  Prepare for impact!

Brace, BRACE for impact!

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#39 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Honestly it would suck but wont bother me that much. If there ever was a season where the wings wouldnt make the playoffs and actually get a great pick in the 1st round, a 48 game season is the best time to do it lol.

#40 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

It's a distinct possibility, just like it is every year.  No one is guaranteed a playoff spot.  You can start out world-beaters, but then get completely swallowed up by injuries and general malaise, and then that's it for you.  I can't say how we're going to do this year.  I of course, hope that we make the playoffs, advance through to the SCF, then win.....but I'd be pulling a prediction out of my butt, and I don't like doing that.  What I will say is, losing Nick Lidstrom is going to hurt this team more than losing Steve Yzerman did.  When Steve was on his way out, we had players ready that had been groomed to step in when he retired.  We're in a different situation now than we were then. 

I'm both interested and scared to see what the defense on this team is going to look like now.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor