• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilzyme

2013 Calder Race

Rate this topic

Besides just posting this article, I thought it would be good to start up a discussion on the Calder race for this season. We know the we have atleast one player that will be in the race; Brendan Smith. Unfortunately, I don't believe Damien "Gunner" Brunner will be eligible for it, considering I believe either IS or will be 26 "at the start of the season." Justin Schultz is a clear #1 pick right now due to his unbelievable performance in the AHL during the lockout, leading even RNH. Grunland with the 2nd pick, which we all could see. I really think we'll see Brendan Smith closer to the race than 10th (9th with the drop of Strome). Anyways, here's the article to start the discussion; http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/01/17/top-shelf-prospects-calder-trophy-2013-predictions/

Schultz for all we know could be the flavor of the week. Nyquist has been over a PPG in the AHL and people here still discount how good he is. I for one don't see Schultz being better than Smith. At least Smith has 14 NHL games, and he was .50 PPG at that on the 3rd pairing. My Calder vote rests with Smith, especially with top 4 mins and possible power play time.

Schultz for all we know could be the flavor of the week. Nyquist has been over a PPG in the AHL and people here still discount how good he is. I for one don't see Schultz being better than Smith. At least Smith has 14 NHL games, and he was .50 PPG at that on the 3rd pairing. My Calder vote rests with Smith, especially with top 4 mins and possible power play time.

I think it more or less has to do his college career and the hype, and then being uncertain how he was going to perform at a higher level. He still hasn't fully played at the higher level, against higher level players, but he did play in the AHL with some great superstars. His team was also stacked beyond all hell. I certainly think Smith is going to sneak up on MANY people. On HFB, I swear it was all about Schultz and Grunland. Maybe 1 person brought up Smith and nothing came from it. It's things like this that show me that we could really surprise people this season, including our own fan base.

Brunner is eligible for it if I'm looking at the rule correctly. A player can be no older than 26 by September of their rookie season.

Difficult calder race to predict, but I think Tarasenko, Silfverberg and hopefully both Smith and Brunner will be in the discussion. Brunner really should be, considering his linemates. Otherwise chances are he's a bust.

Brunner is eligible for it if I'm looking at the rule correctly. A player can be no older than 26 by September of their rookie season. Difficult calder race to predict, but I think Tarasenko, Silfverberg and hopefully both Smith and Brunner will be in the discussion. Brunner really should be, considering his linemates. Otherwise chances are he's a bust.

He was born March 9th of 86. I really suck at doing the birthday math, so I just followed capgeek's reference that he was 26 :P I wasn't sure if they were going to keep it at before Sept. 15th or make it Jan. 19th.

Brunner is eligible for it if I'm looking at the rule correctly. A player can be no older than 26 by September of their rookie season. Difficult calder race to predict, but I think Tarasenko, Silfverberg and hopefully both Smith and Brunner will be in the discussion. Brunner really should be, considering his linemates. Otherwise chances are he's a bust.

I always thought he wasn't eligible, but may you are right. He'll be 27 in a couple months and I thought the rule was you had to be under 26 on Sep. 15 of your rookie year, not 26 or younger.

According to this Brunner is not eligible for rookie of the year honors.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/tag/_/name/damien-brunner]http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/tag/_/name/damien-brunner[/url]

I really don't see why he shouldn't be. It's 26 or younger on Sept 15th on the rookie season, which should be Sept 15th 2012 when Brunner was, as he still is, 26.

Sounds like LeBrun misunderstood the rule?

Edited by dat's sick

I really don't see why he shouldn't be. It's 26 or younger on Sept 15th on the rookie season, which should be Sept 15th 2012 when Brunner was, as he still is, 26.

Sounds like LeBrun misunderstood the rule?

Do you have a nationally read sports article? No! Are you Pierre LeBrun? No? Why do you dipute this man? Just kidding. I just went to the link to re-read it and it says link not found. But, at least I have a witness who read it and you know I didn't make it up. Don't know what the problem with the site is, but looks like I am back to square one with "is he eligible or not?".

Do you have a nationally read sports article? No! Are you Pierre LeBrun? No? Why do you dipute this man? Just kidding. I just went to the link to re-read it and it says link not found. But, at least I have a witness who read it and you know I didn't make it up. Don't know what the problem with the site is, but looks like I am back to square one with "is he eligible or not?".

Bob McKenzie actually said on twitter Brunner is too old, I still think that conflicts with the wording of the official rule but seems it's settled.

All hopes go to Smith, or possibly Nyquist if he gets called up quickly.

For the 2012-13 season, I guess the rule is that you need to be 26 or younger on September 15, 2013, not 2012.

This got me thinking about one of the other criteria: having played more than 6 games in two preceeding years in a major professional league. Ovechkin won the award over Crosby in 2006 after playing 4 years for Moscow Dynamo. So, outside the NHL, what is considered a "major professional league"? If it wasn't the Russian league, what would there be?

Edited by toby91_ca

If you are 26 years of age, or older on September 15 of your rookie year, you are not eligible for the calder trophy... brunner is out

"players are eligible only if they were 26 years old or younger by Sept. 15 of their rookie season"

From NHL.com. I guess they are looking at it as being Sept 15th of this YEAR instead of Sept 15th of this SEASON, since this season got delayed? That's the only way I can make sense of it. Obviously there is some confusion about it too since I've seen Brunner have low odds at betting sites for the Calder.

"players are eligible only if they were 26 years old or younger by Sept. 15 of their rookie season" From NHL.com. I guess they are looking at it as being Sept 15th of this YEAR instead of Sept 15th of this SEASON, since this season got delayed? That's the only way I can make sense of it. Obviously there is some confusion about it too since I've seen Brunner have low odds at betting sites for the Calder.

September 15th is technically the end of each season, not the beginning. If you recall, the lockout commenced when the old deal expired (on September 15th). So, when determining September 15th of someone's rookie year...for the 2012-13 season, that's Setpember 15, 2013. So if someone is 26 now or will be before that date....not eligible.

September 15th is technically the end of each season, not the beginning. If you recall, the lockout commenced when the old deal expired (on September 15th). So, when determining September 15th of someone's rookie year...for the 2012-13 season, that's Setpember 15, 2013. So if someone is 26 now or will be before that date....not eligible.

I see, I thought that counted as the start of the new season. The age cutoff is 27 though, so if Brunner had his birthday on Sept 16th he would be eligible.

"players are eligible only if they were 26 years old or younger by Sept. 15 of their rookie season" From NHL.com. I guess they are looking at it as being Sept 15th of this YEAR instead of Sept 15th of this SEASON, since this season got delayed? That's the only way I can make sense of it. Obviously there is some confusion about it too since I've seen Brunner have low odds at betting sites for the Calder.

Rookie Qualifications

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

That is from nhl, clearly it makes no difference if it is september 15 2012, or 2013 he wouldn't qualify

Rookie Qualifications

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

That is from nhl, clearly it makes no difference if it is september 15 2012, or 2013 he wouldn't qualify

Confusing, the wording is different from different sources, some indicating you can't be OLDER than 26, others like yours saying you can't be AT LEAST 26. Nvm though, he's obviously not eligible.

Confusing, the wording is different from different sources, some indicating you can't be OLDER than 26, others like yours saying you can't be AT LEAST 26. Nvm though, he's obviously not eligible.

Not just different wording from different sources....different wording from same source. NHL.com under the calder trophy qualifications also has the wording 26 or younger. Either way, Brunner appears too old....either by 6 months, or 1 year and 6 months.

What I'd love to know is what is considered major professional league besides NHL (see Ovechkin comment earlier). It's obviously not the top league in Russia, obviously not the Swiss A league (Brunner has played 7+ seasons there). What about SEL? Is there any league outside of the NHL considered major professional? If it's not Russia, I'm not sure what else would be.

From HFB, apparently odds have him listed -____________-

Nevermind, ol McKenzie confirmed he's not eligible

NHL Calder Memorial Trophy 2013
Sat 1/19 3:05PM

Justin Schultz +500
Damien Brunner +900
Vladimir Tarasenko +900
Nail Yakupov +1100
Roman Cervenka +1100
Ryan Strome +1400
Alex Galchenyuk +1400
Chris Kreider +1400
Mikael Granlund +1400
Jonathan Huberdeau +1400
Jakob Silfverberg +1400
Sven Bartschi +1600
Dougie Hamilton +1600
Mikhail Grigorenko +1600
Jaden Schwartz +1900
Morgan Rielly +1900
Cory Conacher +2400
Ryan Murphy +2400
Mark Scheifele +2400
Brendan Smith +2400
Jeremy Morin +3400
Brendan Gallagher +3400
Simon Despres +3400
Joe Colborne +3400
Ben Scrivens +3400
Mika Zibanejad +3400
Gustav Nyquist +3900
Anton Khudobin +3900
Sami Vatanen +4400
Jacob Markstrom +4400
Andre Miele +4400
Robin Lehner +4400
Patrice Cormier +4400
Jonas Brodin +4900
Teemu Hartikainen +4900
Tim Erixon +4900
Edited by evilzyme

Not just different wording from different sources....different wording from same source. NHL.com under the calder trophy qualifications also has the wording 26 or younger. Either way, Brunner appears too old....either by 6 months, or 1 year and 6 months.

What I'd love to know is what is considered major professional league besides NHL (see Ovechkin comment earlier). It's obviously not the top league in Russia, obviously not the Swiss A league (Brunner has played 7+ seasons there). What about SEL? Is there any league outside of the NHL considered major professional? If it's not Russia, I'm not sure what else would be.

Good point. Who's opinion is it what is a "major professional league" is? Sounds like it's Cherry's. If so, only Canadian leagues would count.

I could have edited my question but I is so proud of mine grammatical skills that I have learnt that I decided not too.

Edited by Marty Barry

Kinda scares me that so many Wings fans are expecting Smith, Brunner (if eligable) and Nyquist (if he plays) to win the Calder. High fan expectations and an over-reliance on un-proven players can be a dangerous combination.