• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wingnut in WA

Wingnut in WA

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

I'm traveling to JLA in March for two games with my wonderful wife. We've been to several games before but have never done this one thing. So I gotta ask guys, 

whats a better place for coneys? Lafayette or American? The most answers for one or the other will be the place we go to before the game. Thanks guys :D

#2 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

I prefer American. And I know I'll be offending some people :lol:  but just do both. It's the only way you'll know. I like both but I prefer the folks at American. They're extremely friendly and make you feel right at home, but then again most people you run into around there are friendly as hell. Grab a vernors and a coney, can't go wrong there. The doughnuts are great, too. I got a slice of pie last time I was there, and when he brought it to me he looked at me (a guy of 6'4" or 6'5" or so) and laughed saying it was way too small, so he gave me a free doughnut and fries. The coneys are great but they're great at Lafayette too. I prefer the environment of American.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 18 January 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#3 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,243 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Lafayette, hands down.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#4 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

I'm planning on making the trip with a buddy from Vancouver to Detroit this February to catch my first game ever at the Joe.I will probably stay 1 or 2 nights. Do you guys have any helpful advice? I could use tips from anything to accomadations to travel, etc I'm a poor college student so cost saving is a must!

#5 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I'm planning on making the trip with a buddy from Vancouver to Detroit this February to catch my first game ever at the Joe.I will probably stay 1 or 2 nights. Do you guys have any helpful advice? I could use tips from anything to accomadations to travel, etc I'm a poor college student so cost saving is a must!

Food is cheap if you eat out. Especially since you're from Vancouver. I'm assuming you're staying downtown so if you're hungry go to Greektown. Fishbones and Pizza Papalis are well priced and damn good. Niki's down the street is great, too. The pizza is filling and cheap as hell compared to ridiculous canadian prices. That and it's better food than anything where you're from judging from my time in AB and BC. Check out Astoria in Greektown too. You could eat yourself fat in that place.

People mover is a cheap way to get around. 75 cents and runs very frequently. However to get anywhere outside of Detroit you're likely going to need a car to make it easy. Various bus routes and "the detroit bus" run outside of the city but don't count on it, rent a car if you can. People mover will take you right to the Joe though.

What hotel are you staying at?

#6 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Lafayette without a doubt.  American is like a traditional, sit down restaurant.  I prefer Lafayette because it has a more community atmosphere that is especially prevalent right after a game. You can go in by yourself and have a new group of friends by the time you clean up the last of your chili.

5689807223_357b0d678e_z.jpg

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#7 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

As much as I miss Detroit, it's nothing like Vancouver.  Greek Town is the closest thing, but it's like a 1/100th of Robson St.

Awesome pic, KC.  Now I'm hungry.

Edited by T.Low, 18 January 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#8 #96

Adopt me Homer!

• Bronze Booster
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

Both! Don't just miss out on a Detroit classic because "one is better than the other". Check out both and you'll notice the difference!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users