• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/19: Red Wings 0 at St. Louis Blues 6

Rate this topic

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

oh man. wings lost big and that was a heartbreaker. but nothing like ending the night on a good note. CBC does a thing called After Hours where they interview someone from their late game,( pending on whos playing ). Tonight it was Vancouver vs Anaheim (nucks lost 7-3) but tonight they are interviewing Teemu Selanne. He is one of my Absolute Favourite players of all time, very classy guy. when i lived in winnipeg in the early-mid 90s, i went to a couple Jets games and he was just brilliant! I will really be sad the day he does decide to hang them up. The NHL will truly lose another amazing player to ever lace them up. Maybe when he retires he can become an actor like in this.

Looks like it could be a long shortened season for y'all. And apparently CBJ is at least on par with Nashville so that's no longer a gimmie game... Then you have Dallas and Minnesota in a row.. They better figure it out pretty quick if playoffs are going to be remotely possible. Tough draw to start out with though. Probably one of the top 2 teams in the entire conference on the road is not a favorable matchup. Should be interesting to see where your season goes from here.

Guest Crymson
Cleary, Sam, can sit for Gus and Eaves

Perhaps Datsyuk and Zetterberg should sit too, then? They accomplished equally little. The entire team played terribly.

Chiming in late ... I guess that my brain isn't processing what happened in this game.

OK .. I knew that the D wasn't going to be all that good, but I was hoping that the depth in the forwards and goal tending would make up for that.

OK .. It's just one game

OK .. It's just one game

Crap ... I have been watching the Wings since the 94-95 season and I have watched at the least 95% of the Wings games since the 2000-2001 season. I have never watched a game in where the Wings were completely dominated for probably 57 minutes of the game. That was completely pathetic. The Wings had no business on that ice.

Terrible game gotta blame coaching staff for not preparing them at all for a hard hitting team. I have always had blind faith in The coaching but the last three years we've had awful PK and PP and it lost us a lot of games. The team after 3 years hasn't realized that they're small and think of some sort of different gameplan when you play a team that likes to hit a lot.

It's the first game of the season, these guys have not played NHL hockey in nine months, and there has been significant personnel turnover. The wrinkles will take some time to iron out.

Those of you who have concluded, based on this single game, that the season is over should consider quitting right now.

I think reality is setting in for people, in that the blue line has been desimated and nothing has filled those holes. And people have hoped and prayed that the Wings, being the wings, would overcome it, but that absolute disaster of a game exposed every hole on this team yesterday.

One thing is for certain, it looks like this season we are going to find out just how good Howard is. The goalies that stand on their head and will their teams to playoffs do it with average defenses. We'll see if Howard can do that or something close to it, becuase the argument that the defense masks how poor he is will be taken away.

I'll be interested to see how Howard performs this season.

I got stuck watching the Blues feed last night. Those guys are horrible to listen to.

My thoughts,questions and comments on the game (in no particular order):

-The Wings have games like that every year, but they sure didn't give us any glimpse of hope for this year, did they?

-The Blues continue to win by out working their opponent. This seems to be the way to win in the new NHL. The Wings can't rely on their experience and veteran savvy to win games anymore. You gotta work for it too.

-Are we still supposed to be a puck possession team? What type of team are we supposed to be?

-Abdelkader, Miller and Ericsson played their usual games and were the best looking Wings out there.

-Quincy got embarrassed, twice, by a rookie. Speaking of which, how many times a year does a guy score his first NHL goal against us? it seems like it happens quite often. By the end of the game I found myself cheering for a Tarasenko hat trick.

-The special teams picked right up where they left off last year: *******, embarrassingly awful.

-The first shift was the best shift of the game.

-Franzen worked hard,and finished his checks for his first few shifts.

-The Blues knew that the Wings planned to have "active" defenceman and exploited the hell out of it.

-Jimmy didn't stop one break away.

-The Wings passing was very sloppy.

-SNL had a few good skits last night. It's a pretty rare night, when the Wings are more disappointing than Saturday Night Live. I still haven't seen a good band on there in a while, though. (probably cause I'm in my 30s now)

that's not all, just everything I can think of right now.

One team hardly made any changes. One team had a huge offseason turnover. Not hard to see why this outcome happened under all these other circumstances added on top. We got out coached and outplayed. Chalk this one up as a loss and move on. If after ten games we are below .500, then i'll start to worry.

Boom. The million-dollar question, right here.

It's the $60 million question really.

As I said before, for years the Wings made up for their lack of size and could beat a strong forecheck by superior skill. But that skill has been declining season after season so their ability to beat it through puck possession and outlet passes has gone away season after season as well. Lids retiring was certainly the biggest hit to that puck possession style.

So now what exactly is the system?

It's the $60 million question really.

As I said before, for years the Wings made up for their lack of size and could beat a strong forecheck by superior skill. But that skill has been declining season after season so their ability to beat it through puck possession and outlet passes has gone away season after season as well. Lids retiring was certainly the biggest hit to that puck possession style.

So now what exactly is the system?

Spot on. I don't think they even know. Well all I know is that they better figure it out and fast or they are going to be left in the ice dust.