• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingnut4013

Everyone chill out!

Rate this topic

It's just one game. Can we please not fly off the handle after game 1? We still have a solid team and the layoff has alot to do with it. Keep in mind most of our guys didnt play a whole hell of alot during the lockout.....Jeezus what is it with you ppl already counting us out?

It's just one game. Can we please not fly off the handle after game 1? We still have a solid team and the layoff has alot to do with it. Keep in mind most of our guys didnt play a whole hell of alot during the lockout.....Jeezus what is it with you ppl already counting us out?

How about speaking for yourself? After watching the "highlights" I think there is an obvious reason for some of the concerns, the sky may not nbe falling but you can't have too many games like this in a shortened high intense season.

DRW had gotten away with good - average goaltending because of a great defense playing in front of them, if the D doesn't pick it up it might get ugly. My personal opinion going into this half season is simple: transistion year(s) so everything can happyen.

Edited by frankgrimes

Flying off the handle after one game is what we do best. We also specialize in throwing people under the proverbial bus after two games.

On a more "serious" note - "You have to remember, most of our guys didn't play a lot during the lockout" is a very lame excuse. No offense, of course. Just sayin'.

1) Its LGW, we've always had our share of chicken lickens, just like the rest of teh interwebz.

2)

? We still have a solid team and the layoff has alot to do with it. Keep in mind most of our guys didnt play a whole hell of alot during the lockout.

No, we have a team with an aging core of stars and a whole bunch of question marks through the rest of the roster. The layoff is no excuse, it was the same for both teams, and the guys on our roster who have their game legs (Dats, Z, Brunner, Smith) did just as little as the rest.

As others have said, this is a team in transition and I think we'll see plenty of Jekyll and Hyde from this squad the rest of the season.

The Wings play badly and floated [insert your own joke here] because "they have not been playing in a while, they have new faces, they have a new coach, they [insert excuse/reason here]." OK. The other team has the same situation, typically. What is it about the Wings that makes them disappear in statement games like last night's?

I am certainly not throwing them under the bus, but it's a logical question: If they are rusty and don't have their game legs, and all the other teams have been under the same restrictions and also haven't played -- how come other teams play well and hand the Wings their jock straps in games like last night's? Ew.

Of course they will get better - could hardly be worse - but I just have to wonder in my out-loud voice what, if anything, they were thinking, with that performance.

I really don't understand the point of reaching for the hemlock after one game.

"I drank what????"

-Socrates

As far as nobody being killed, I think chances are that Mursak just had his season killed last night:

No word yet on extent of Jan Mursak's shoulder injury but his arm was in sling and Ken Holland said he is out for a while.

https://twitter.com/AnsarKhanMLive/status/293004431195242498

People are concerned and rightfully so. We didn't just lose. We got absolutely destroyed in every aspect of the game. Not only that, but the biggest question mark we all had coming into this season, how our defense would perform minus Lids, was clearly and terrifingly answered.
If we had lost 4-2 and put up a fight the alert level would still be up because it is LGW after all. But it wouldn't be anywhere near were it is at now. It is very hard to just excuse this as being "one game".

Guest Crymson
"I drank what????"

-Socrates

As far as nobody being killed, I think chances are that Mursak just had his season killed last night:

No word yet on extent of Jan Mursak's shoulder injury but his arm was in sling and Ken Holland said he is out for a while.

Well, that solves the roster problem.

If we had lost 4-2 and put up a fight the alert level would still be up because it is LGW after all. But it wouldn't be anywhere near were it is at now. It is very hard to just excuse this as being "one game".

What choice do you have?

I'm confused. If I'm understanding things correctly going off of what many here are saying, the Wings were the only team locked out? Is that right? So we're the only team going through this, so nothing to worry about? St. Louis wasn't literally in the exact same boat as we were? They didn't have the exact same number of guys playing in leagues as us? And again, weren't locked out?

Just checking.

The Wings play badly and floated [insert your own joke here] because "they have not been playing in a while, they have new faces, they have a new coach, they [insert excuse/reason here]." OK. The other team has the same situation, typically. What is it about the Wings that makes them disappear in statement games like last night's?

I am certainly not throwing them under the bus, but it's a logical question: If they are rusty and don't have their game legs, and all the other teams have been under the same restrictions and also haven't played -- how come other teams play well and hand the Wings their jock straps in games like last night's? Ew.

People are concerned and rightfully so. We didn't just lose. We got absolutely destroyed in every aspect of the game. Not only that, but the biggest question mark we all had coming into this season, how our defense would perform minus Lids, was clearly and terrifingly answered.

Of course they will get better - could hardly be worse - but I just have to wonder in my out-loud voice what, if anything, they were thinking, with that performance.
Again I am giving them the benefit of the doubt, as I said this might happen (although I didn't think it would be a huge blowout) not making excuses, but all of our lines are different this year, especially our d, so my main conceren would be dropping Quincey down to third pairing and bringing White up. Other than that, Columbus will be a good game to see where we actually are at.
"I drank what????"

-Socrates

Bring in Goose

I am not panicking yet, but I can share some of my concerns about last night's game.

1. It looked like an AHL team vs. an NHL team last night - it was that bad. I don't think I've seen the Wings play a worse 60 minutes of hockey in recent memory. It wasn't like we got unlucky or couldn't cash in on chances - the Wings had no legitimate scoring chances.

2. I didn't see a single useful pass from our D to the forwards. Quincey in particular looked bad.

3. Franzen - who I am usually a big fan of - was non-existent. He looked like he was skating through mud. Same goes for Sammy.

4. Special teams = scary bad. Is Tom Renney running them? I've lost all faith in Renney's abilities after watching the debacle in Edmonton over the last few years. They've got to fix that.

BUT, that was only game 1, and it was against a clearly amped-up St. Louis team. I have no doubt it will get better, I just hope it happens quickly. Also, I liked the way Brunner looked, and I liked Tootoo's speed and energy (I wish he made contact with Tarasenko on that hit attempt). Tootoo, Helm, and Miller would be a fast line.

BTW, thoughts on Howard? I actually didn't think he deserved to get pulled - I assume it was more of a mercy move by Babcock.

Guest Crymson
I think Babcock was reaching for Holland's neck in his dreams last night.

Holland doesn't determine how the players perform. There isn't the faintest chance that Lidstrom's presence could have salvaged that game.

I am not panicking yet, but I can share some of my concerns about last night's game.

1. It looked like an AHL team vs. an NHL team last night - it was that bad. I don't think I've seen the Wings play a worse 60 minutes of hockey in recent memory. It wasn't like we got unlucky or couldn't cash in on chances - the Wings had no legitimate scoring chances.

2. I didn't see a single useful pass from our D to the forwards. Quincey in particular looked bad.

3. Franzen - who I am usually a big fan of - was non-existent. He looked like he was skating through mud. Same goes for Sammy.

4. Special teams = scary bad. Is Tom Renney running them? I've lost all faith in Renney's abilities after watching the debacle in Edmonton over the last few years. They've got to fix that.

BUT, that was only game 1, and it was against a clearly amped-up St. Louis team. I have no doubt it will get better, I just hope it happens quickly. Also, I liked the way Brunner looked, and I liked Tootoo's speed and energy (I wish he made contact with Tarasenko on that hit attempt). Tootoo, Helm, and Miller would be a fast line.

BTW, thoughts on Howard? I actually didn't think he deserved to get pulled - I assume it was more of a mercy move by Babcock.

I think it was in the first, Colaiacovo had all the time in the world behind the net with the puck and a wide open winger on the left and he makes a breakout pass that was nowhere close to the winger. I didn't know what to say. It was as sloppy of a play as I'd seen. Literally, no pressure, no mad rush, no one forechecking, no one on the winger, and a terrible-awful-no-good-very-bad pass. Mind-numbing.

Holland doesn't determine how the players perform. There isn't the faintest chance that Lidstrom's presence could have salvaged that game.

They're professionals. If they don't show 100%, why are they still here? I don't care if the coach is a joke (I'm not saying I think Babcock is at all), if you don't go out and give 100%, you should get your ass shipped out. There's no excuse in the NHL when these guys are making as much money as they are. The effort many of these players have been putting forth for years now is inexcusable, and the fact that they are still on the Wings roster is very much determined by Ken Holland.

Edited by gcom007