• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingnut4013

Everyone chill out!

Rate this topic

Finesse hockey isn't really what's winning today. But I'm going to try and reserve judgement until after a few more games.

Finesse hockey may or may not be winning today. But it has nothing to do with Wings play yesterday. I do not recall seeing any finesse from Detroit players,

Sorry, but you're dealing in fantasy and not reality. Do you really think that Ken Holland wouldn't pull the trigger if the Ducks offered Bobby Ryan straight up for Filppula? In addition, where's it written that Corey Perry will only play where Bobby Ryan does?

FWIW, they aren't clamoring for more Swedes in Vancouver. Just the opposite. We've won Cups with our Swedes, and they haven't and their fans think they need more Canadians, just like the Wings fans do.

If Tatar, Nyquist and Sheahan are such great talent, why aren't they playing on a team in desperate need of scoring and defense?

I'm not saying that some changes wouldn't be a good thing, but the price you pay for being good for so long is that you don't get quality draft picks. They don't have the picks and the young talent to make trades like other teams do. They've been good for so long because they were way ahead of the game in Russia and Sweden scouting players. Other teams have caught up in that regard so the Wings aren't getting what they used to. Teams just don't stay good for a quarter of a century like the Wings have. It's going to end eventually and hopefully the Wings can avoid a prolonged plummet and can at least remain somewhat entertaining.

I said, if you read it, that having Bobby Ryan here would make Detroit more attractive to Corey Perry, I didn't say that Perry will go wherever Ryan is playing. I think Ken Holland has already balked on acquiring Ryan over the summer. But I think it would take more to get Ryan of course. But if Selanne put in his 2 cents on Filppula and then Holland threw in a Tatar and a pick, then Ryan could be a Red Wing. And its the same with Vancouver, if the Sedins think that Franzen could be a commodity that would put them over the top, the Vancouver brass wouldn't hesitate to contact Holland.

Unfortunately, none of that is happening because it doesn't seem that anyone is contacting Holland, PLUS Holland will never trade away Franzen or Filppula because he loves his Euros way too much. I bet he would trade Helm before he traded Franzen...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Playmaker" data-cid="2342771" data-time="1358717402"><p>

Sorry, but you're dealing in fantasy and not reality. Do you really think that Ken Holland wouldn't pull the trigger if the Ducks offered Bobby Ryan straight up for Filppula? In addition, where's it written that Corey Perry will only play where Bobby Ryan does? <br />

<br />

FWIW, they aren't clamoring for more Swedes in Vancouver. Just the opposite. We've won Cups with our Swedes, and they haven't and their fans think they need more Canadians, just like the Wings fans do. <br />

<br />

If Tatar, Nyquist and Sheahan are such great talent, why aren't they playing on a team in desperate need of scoring and defense?<br />

<br />

I'm not saying that some changes wouldn't be a good thing, but the price you pay for being good for so long is that you don't get quality draft picks. They don't have the picks and the young talent to make trades like other teams do. They've been good for so long because they were way ahead of the game in Russia and Sweden scouting players. Other teams have caught up in that regard so the Wings aren't getting what they used to. Teams just don't stay good for a quarter of a century like the Wings have. It's going to end eventually and hopefully the Wings can avoid a prolonged plummet and can at least remain somewhat entertaining. </p></blockquote>

1 game into the season and its a plummet!!!! I love LGW for this reason alone. Sheahan and Nyquist aren't playing because its the first game. Wait till the 5th when old man Cleary is still making himself look worse than he is, and Sammy wears out his welcome and ends up on the third line in favor of Nyquist.

Line up for the 6th game of the year

Franzen-Datsyuk-Nyquist

Zetterberg-Filpula-Brunner

Bertuzzi-Helm-Samuelson

Abdelkader-Sheahan-Tootoo

Edited by matt198913

Guest Playmaker
Y'know what'd really help? A real third line.

Of course it would. But this is what happens with a salary cap.

There's a phrase, "To whom much is given, much is expected."

Red Wings' players are given a lot. An awful lot. They're treated very well by ownership and management, rewarded with contracts that some of us fans say are for too long or for too much money, especially when a player is past his prime. The players that fit into the team's structure are kept here for a long time, usually only leaving when they choose to retire or to move on. They're largely sheltered from the public, they don't have to do all the appearances that players in less-traditional hockey markets have to do. And they're (for the most part) adored by the team's fans.

What's expected in return is that they give 100%, play well, win more often than not, and do well in the playoffs. Last night's game was a total failure in every way possible. There was no effort, no emotion, no pride, no appearance of any desire to even be there playing NHL hockey. I don't think that's what we will see all season, far from it. But that was no way to start the season, especially after what transpired this summer and fall. Can you imagine if that was a home game? The stands would have (or should have) been completely empty by the third period. It was unacceptable by anyone's standards and especially for a team that says they expect to compete for the Stanley Cup every season.

A couple of you have said the team is due for an overhaul. I couldn't agree more. The locker room seems to have become a country club over the last few seasons, there is no price to be paid for under-performing. Nobody gets traded away, nobody gets let go, nobody gets benched. Helm's line was the team's best line in way too many games last year. Other guys continually disappear for long stretches but continue to play here. Players who don't "fit the system" aren't looked at as possible acquisitions. Now, what we have is a collection of redundant players and a team that can't adapt to an opponent who outworks the Wings or who can shut down their puck-possession style. They couldn't dump and chase if their lives depended on it. An aggressive forecheck is out of the question, 3 or 4 players excepted. And there's no real hope coming up through the ranks. Yes, Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson, and Sheahan are all NHL-ready or very close, but what are those guys going to do when they get here? 3rd line, maybe fill in on the 2nd line? We don't have anyone like Tarasenko, Skinner, Henrique, Andrew Shaw... someone who can quickly step in and produce at an NHL level. Andersson and Sheahan project as 3rd liners and Nyquist and Tatar have talent but are small. Same as the roster we have now. It's time for an organizational shift, this season or this off-season.

Guest Playmaker
I said, if you read it, that having Bobby Ryan here would make Detroit more attractive to Corey Perry, I didn't say that Perry will go wherever Ryan is playing. I think Ken Holland has already balked on acquiring Ryan over the summer. But I think it would take more to get Ryan of course. But if Selanne put in his 2 cents on Filppula and then Holland threw in a Tatar and a pick, then Ryan could be a Red Wing. And its the same with Vancouver, if the Sedins think that Franzen could be a commodity that would put them over the top, the Vancouver brass wouldn't hesitate to contact Holland.

Unfortunately, none of that is happening because it doesn't seem that anyone is contacting Holland, PLUS Holland will never trade away Franzen or Filppula because he loves his Euros way too much. I bet he would trade Helm before he traded Franzen...

You've posted nothing even remotely factual or even somewhat logical...all pure speculation. Are Perry and Ryan a couple or something? Why would having Ryan make Detroit a more attractive destination. And, in case you haven't noticed, Anaheim has Perry, Ryan, AND Getzlaf and they didn't make the playoffs two of the past three years. So you can have a team full of young, tough forwards and still not do well.

Red Wings' players are given a lot. An awful lot. They're treated very well by ownership and management, rewarded with contracts that some of us fans say are for too long or for too much money, especially when a player is past his prime. The players that fit into the team's structure are kept here for a long time, usually only leaving when they choose to retire or to move on. They're largely sheltered from the public, they don't have to do all the appearances that players in less-traditional hockey markets have to do. And they're (for the most part) adored by the team's fans.

What's expected in return is that they give 100%, play well, win more often than not, and do well in the playoffs. Last night's game was a total failure in every way possible. There was no effort, no emotion, no pride, no appearance of any desire to even be there playing NHL hockey. I don't think that's what we will see all season, far from it. But that was no way to start the season, especially after what transpired this summer and fall. Can you imagine if that was a home game? The stands would have (or should have) been completely empty by the third period. It was unacceptable by anyone's standards and especially for a team that says they expect to compete for the Stanley Cup every season.

A couple of you have said the team is due for an overhaul. I couldn't agree more. The locker room seems to have become a country club over the last few seasons, there is no price to be paid for under-performing. Nobody gets traded away, nobody gets let go, nobody gets benched. Helm's line was the team's best line in way too many games last year. Other guys continually disappear for long stretches but continue to play here. Players who don't "fit the system" aren't looked at as possible acquisitions. Now, what we have is a collection of redundant players and a team that can't adapt to an opponent who outworks the Wings or who can shut down their puck-possession style. They couldn't dump and chase if their lives depended on it. An aggressive forecheck is out of the question, 3 or 4 players excepted. And there's no real hope coming up through the ranks. Yes, Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson, and Sheahan are all NHL-ready or very close, but what are those guys going to do when they get here? 3rd line, maybe fill in on the 2nd line? We don't have anyone like Tarasenko, Skinner, Henrique, Andrew Shaw... someone who can quickly step in and produce at an NHL level. Andersson and Sheahan project as 3rd liners and Nyquist and Tatar have talent but are small. Same as the roster we have now. It's time for an organizational shift, this season or this off-season.

And how many Cups have the Blues won lately? Oh wait, they've never won one. Maybe that's how they get good young talent.

THIS. I hate how "safe" our players' jobs seem. You have to perform and earn that right. This isn't a place where vets go to retire comfortably.

What makes you think Filppula is going to give us a good return? So Selanne likes him. Teemu is also 41 and not likely to be playing much longer. So the Ducks are going to trade for him so Teemu can play with is buddy when they don't know how much longer he'll play? So he sucks, lets trade him, and we'll get someone really good in return? What value does Cleary have? He's old, often injured and overpaid. Emmerton? What picks and prospects?

I always have to laugh when fans think our players suck, but yet they think they're incredibly valuable to someone else. If small skilled players aren't the "in" thing, why would other teams want them?

Aside from Dats and Z, who aren't going anywhere, we have no guys who are worth anything alone. Flip and Franzen are the only guys we have that we can live without that will be of any interest to teams that might deal top-end talent, and they both come with significant caveats.

Flip's a very valuable trade asset generally, but not in the final year of his contract, hence why I was suggesting moving him the last couple years especially considering our depth at center and the impending retirement of Lidstrom.

Franzen alone won't be worth as much as he would've a couple years ago either, so again, only thing that might work, and it's still a stretch at this point, is a package with Franzen and Flip and a maybe a prospect and draft pick.

The idea of Cleary having any value is absurd. He might find a way to get it going down the stretch, but even if a team would trade for him, it's not going to net us much in return.

Bottom line, we need major help on D. We need a top-pairing guy who can come in and stabilize the defense and play a lot of minutes. No way that comes in without Franzen and Flip going out, and they won't go alone. We don't have much to work with at this point and we're up against a wall, desperate. The asking price will be high, but Holland doesn't have many choices. Franzen's been floating and inconsistent and it makes sense to just cut the experiment off if we can add a solid defenseman. Flip, as said, is in the final year of his contract, and there's no guarantee that we'll sign him anyways. Sure, we "want" to keep him, but if he expects a big raise and our defense hasn't improved, I have to wonder if we'll even be able to afford him under the new cap. It's early enough in this weird season that Flip might have more value to a team looking to add a strong, experienced 2-way guy especially if they think they can sign him this summer.

And worst case scenario, I think Flip gets dealt at the deadline even if no other moves are made. If nothing gets done before, I don't think this team has a prayer of landing in the playoffs, so dealing Flip for even mid to low draft picks is a better scenario for the team than holding on to him until July 1 just for the sake of holding on to him. They can still try and sign him this summer if they really want to, after all.

But any way you shake it, we're between a rock and a hard place. We need to shake the team up, but we have no leverage and very few worthwhile assets. Add to that the likelihood of a dry free-agent season and we could be in serious trouble for some time. We haven't been a destination spot for a few years now, and it's only going to get worse the way things are going. That's why I really think Holland has to do all he can to make a big move to improve the D. He's got to send a message to this team and the rest of the league that he still wants to win. These current Wings players (sans Dats and Z) could really use a reminder that they're expendable; maybe it'll finally get their feet moving and they'll magically start "hearing Babcock's message."

I believe that last night was the type of game that the Blues said "after all those years the mighty Red Wings dominated and no longer have Lidstrom its our turn to be the big fish in the central for years" and they played like it, it was a statement game from the Blues. They are hungry they played like it, the only way to win in this new NHL is big, hungry young players. If the Wings play like this again tomorrow and lose big time then its time to panic, until then I'm just gonna believe it was just a statement game from the Blues and that the Wings didn't prepare.

Yep. Way too many guys are way too comfortable. You always hear the line's like, "that would've never happened under Bowman's watch" and attribute it to Bowman just being one of the most masterful coaches in the history of sports. But I think in some cases, it boils down to Bowman didn't put up with crap, and if a guy was lazy or half-assing it, he got benched or worse yet, traded the hell out here. If you didn't buy into his system, if you didn't work hard, you weren't coddled. You weren't rewarded with new contracts. You weren't given the same playing time game in and game out. You got benched or traded and all along the way, he was going to be screwing with your head at every opportunity to remind you whose boss.

I've said it numerous times in the last day, and I've been emphatic about it after one game because it's a problem that goes back well before even last season: there are too many guys floating out there and not giving anything close to their best effort. Some say that Babcock's message isn't getting to them anymore, but to me, that just doesn't matter at all. These guys are professionals getting paid a ton of money to play a game. The coach can be an absolute joke as far as I'm concerned and they still should be giving 100% every night. If you're not giving 100% and complaining about the coach, then as far as I'm concerned you can pack your bags and leave. If you give 100% and do what the coach is telling you and it's clear that the coaches strategies just aren't working, then I'll look at the coach. But if you're just floating out there, not even trying to pay mind to the fundamentals, then you have no business whatsoever complaining about the coach. You need an attitude adjustment, and if booting your ass out of town is what it takes, so be it.

I'm really just completely sick of seeing these guys half-ass it. This is not a new problem, and we no longer have the talent to get away with it. Last night was a joke. It'd be funnier if it was a fluke, but when the same old guys make the same mistakes and fail to skate hard, just like the last few years, it really ought to make any fan angry. Again, these guys are getting paid a tremendous amount of money to play a game. There's no excuse for them to play it as lackadaisically as they have the last few years, and now that we've lost the core of our defense, there's no one to hide behind. There's very few guys left on this team that appear to have any pride. The rest are a joke, and to them I say, good riddance. I'd rather have young guys up here working hard, even if it means losing games as they mature, than watch a bunch of underachievers coast and flop around on the ice.

I gotta say though, Babcock never prepared this team whatsoever and Quincey kept getting turned inside out and causing goals and he led the team in ice time that's bad ******* coaching no way around it. Not to mention our PP was some of the worst hockey I've ever witnessed and our PK has been a joke for 3 years.

Yep. Way too many guys are way too comfortable. You always hear the line's like, "that would've never happened under Bowman's watch" and attribute it to Bowman just being one of the most masterful coaches in the history of sports. But I think in some cases, it boils down to Bowman didn't put up with crap, and if a guy was lazy or half-assing it, he got benched or worse yet, traded the hell out here. If you didn't buy into his system, if you didn't work hard, you weren't coddled. You weren't rewarded with new contracts. You weren't given the same playing time game in and game out. You got benched or traded and all along the way, he was going to be screwing with your head at every opportunity to remind you whose boss.

I've said it numerous times in the last day, and I've been emphatic about it after one game because it's a problem that goes back well before even last season: there are too many guys floating out there and not giving anything close to their best effort. Some say that Babcock's message isn't getting to them anymore, but to me, that just doesn't matter at all. These guys are professionals getting paid a ton of money to play a game. The coach can be an absolute joke as far as I'm concerned and they still should be giving 100% every night. If you're not giving 100% and complaining about the coach, then as far as I'm concerned you can pack your bags and leave. If you give 100% and do what the coach is telling you and it's clear that the coaches strategies just aren't working, then I'll look at the coach. But if you're just floating out there, not even trying to pay mind to the fundamentals, then you have no business whatsoever complaining about the coach. You need an attitude adjustment, and if booting your ass out of town is what it takes, so be it.

I'm really just completely sick of seeing these guys half-ass it. This is not a new problem, and we no longer have the talent to get away with it. Last night was a joke. It'd be funnier if it was a fluke, but when the same old guys make the same mistakes and fail to skate hard, just like the last few years, it really ought to make any fan angry. Again, these guys are getting paid a tremendous amount of money to play a game. There's no excuse for them to play it as lackadaisically as they have the last few years, and now that we've lost the core of our defense, there's no one to hide behind. There's very few guys left on this team that appear to have any pride. The rest are a joke, and to them I say, good riddance. I'd rather have young guys up here working hard, even if it means losing games as they mature, than watch a bunch of underachievers coast and flop around on the ice.

Excellent post Sir, +1

I've read an article about the fat cat countryclub atmosphere the New York 'Rangers seem to have, guess what? Dolan hired a pain in the ass coach and Suter took it upon himself to turn things around there. Holland has to look at Suter and do the same, if some guys believe that giving half an effort while getting paid ungodly well and not showing any pride is enough to be a Red Wing someone has to show them the door.

Wings have been the definition of excellence for the last 2 decades so they should demand the same amount of excellence from their players. Rangers, Wings are in a very TINY group going way overboard with luxury hotels, privat jets and top notch training facilities so there is nothing the players can complain about. These guys are playing for an original 6 and very storied franchise but don't face the media scrutiny similar teams are having so really just work your butts off and make this organization proud if not for you do it for the best owner in all of sports MR. I

I gotta say though, Babcock never prepared this team whatsoever and Quincey kept getting turned inside out and causing goals and he led the team in ice time that's bad ******* coaching no way around it. Not to mention our PP was some of the worst hockey I've ever witnessed and our PK has been a joke for 3 years.

What is Babcock supposed to do if these guys don't want to skate hard? What can he do if they're so absent-minded out there that they can't even get the fundamentals down? What Babs has wanted to do for awhile was dump guys that don't work and bring in guys that will work hard. Holland hasn't helped there at all, which Babock has openly been "pissed off" about for some time. It's not as simple as just having any old parts and then having a coach magically make them work great as a whole. In reality, sometimes you just have the wrong parts. Any great coach will tell you that.

If you've got a lot of guys that don't skate hard, then clearly, you have too many wrong parts. Babcock can't make trades, he can't sign guys and he can't release guys. That's Holland's job, and as far as I'm concerned, he's been doing a piss poor job of it since 2009. He hasn't adjusted to the true reality of the cap era, and he's rested on his laurels. It's not worth debating his past success at this point, because it doesn't mean anything if you can't get the job done in the present. He's been dropping the ball again and again since 2009, and one could say that was when the cap era truly started to have an effect on the Wings.

Before that, we had a lot of the pieces already in place, had 2 capable Stanley Cup-winning goaltenders playing for practically nothing because they were old, and we were lucky enough to be the first team to figure out a loophole in the cap. And when the cap kicked off originally, we were paying Z what, $2 million a year or something? We got really lucky when it first kicked off, any way you shake it. Now that we have to operate in a similar fashion as the rest of the league, how have things gone? How has Holland responded? Can you really say he's done all he can to ice the best team the last few years? And bear in mind, I'm not even talking about last summer. He went out and tried and got turned down by the top guys for reasons that were reasonably out of his control. But he had multiple years before that where he failed to address issues and failed to begin setting up for a smooth transition into the post-Lidstrom era.

They say great players make the players around them better. In Lidstrom's case, I think he was also making the GM look better. It's obviously going to not be as bad as it was last night every night, but if you can't see how many glaring holes and issues there are in this team, you're not watching hockey. This teams looked shaky the last few years, but Lidstrom really was a player that was great enough alone to be a sort of glue that held the ship together. But he's gone now, and this ship is a mess, and Holland's running out of time to prove he can run a team in the cap era.

Having terrible PP and PK consistently every year is a coaching problem. Because Holland won't make Babcocks dream team doesn't give him an excuse to perform terribly with a middle of the pack team. Look at Dave Tippett he makes the most of what he's given no reason Babcock can't. A big reason we got shelled in the first round was coaching. He's been just rolling out the lines for three years now. There's no excuse for Quincey leading the team in ice time when he was being exposed over and over again and mistakes were costing direct goals.

And how many Cups have the Blues won lately? Oh wait, they've never won one. Maybe that's how they get good young talent.

What's your point? Nowhere did I say anything about the Blues in my post, other than the name Tarasenko, who they drafted at #16.

Excellent post Sir, +1

I've read an article about the fat cat countryclub atmosphere the New York 'Rangers seem to have, guess what? Dolan hired a pain in the ass coach and Suter took it upon himself to turn things around there. Holland has to look at Suter and do the same, if some guys believe that giving half an effort while getting paid ungodly well and not showing any pride is enough to be a Red Wing someone has to show them the door.

Wings have been the definition of excellence for the last 2 decades so they should demand the same amount of excellence from their players. Rangers, Wings are in a very TINY group going way overboard with luxury hotels, privat jets and top notch training facilities so there is nothing the players can complain about. These guys are playing for an original 6 and very storied franchise but don't face the media scrutiny similar teams are having so really just work your butts off and make this organization proud if not for you do it for the best owner in all of sports MR. I

Sather?

Guest Playmaker

Sather?

No Suter turned things around in New York...and just look at how many Cups they've had lately...

Guest Playmaker

"I've read an article about the fat cat countryclub atmosphere the New York 'Rangers seem to have, guess what? Dolan hired a pain in the ass coach and Suter took it upon himself to turn things around there. "

Apparently the Rangers hired Suter and he really turned things around? Did I misread something? And The Wings and the Rangers are the only teams who have a private jet, stay in nice hotels and have decent training facilities? LOL

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="joesuffP" data-cid="2342810" data-time="1358724829"><p>

Having terrible PP and PK consistently every year is a coaching problem. Because Holland won't make Babcocks dream team doesn't give him an excuse to perform terribly with a middle of the pack team. Look at Dave Tippett he makes the most of what he's given no reason Babcock can't. A big reason we got shelled in the first round was coaching. He's been just rolling out the lines for three years now. There's no excuse for Quincey leading the team in ice time when he was being exposed over and over again and mistakes were costing direct goals.</p></blockquote>

Doesn't help when your best Dman is in the box for 4 minutes. Plus 3 of your best penalty killers are injured. O ya an the net front presence on your PP couldn't play either. The Blues went in with no problems and the Wings had to play Quincey for 24 minutes. Gee I wonder why they lost. The Wings don't rebuild, they reload. Give them at least 10 games. Brendan Smith is the real deal. Sheahan is a power forward full of energy. RELAX, one game doesn't make a season.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="joesuffP" data-cid="2342810" data-time="1358724829"><p>

Having terrible PP and PK consistently every year is a coaching problem. Because Holland won't make Babcocks dream team doesn't give him an excuse to perform terribly with a middle of the pack team. Look at Dave Tippett he makes the most of what he's given no reason Babcock can't. A big reason we got shelled in the first round was coaching. He's been just rolling out the lines for three years now. There's no excuse for Quincey leading the team in ice time when he was being exposed over and over again and mistakes were costing direct goals.</p></blockquote>

Doesn't help when your best Dman is in the box for 4 minutes. Plus 3 of your best penalty killers are injured. O ya an the net front presence on your PP couldn't play either. The Blues went in with no problems and the Wings had to play Quincey for 24 minutes. Gee I wonder why they lost. The Wings don't rebuild, they reload. Give them at least 10 games. Brendan Smith is the real deal. Sheahan is a power forward full of energy. RELAX, one game doesn't make a season.

Sheahan is a Teletubby ;)