• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingnut4013

Everyone chill out!

Rate this topic

Holland doesn't determine how the players perform. There isn't the faintest chance that Lidstrom's presence could have salvaged that game.

Yeah, not so sure about that. Lids would've at least chewed up a lot of the minutes that Quincey got (good thing), provided better first passes out of the defensive zone, better QB for the PP, better defensive positional posture (aka less or no breakaways), etc. But forget all that, it's more fun when you think you know everything.

esteef

Lots of rust, lots of uninspired play. Perhaps Z is not fully in his Captaincy role yet. I know that both Yzerman and Lidstrom spoke of having to rally the team from a leadership standpoint....it might take a bit for the new C to settle into that.

As for the rust....well, Howard looked worse than Monster. I'm glad for a big upgrade over last season in the backup role.

Franzen....this guy is going to get bought out if he repeats this performance all season.

I am not panicking yet, but I can share some of my concerns about last night's game.

1. It looked like an AHL team vs. an NHL team last night - it was that bad. I don't think I've seen the Wings play a worse 60 minutes of hockey in recent memory. It wasn't like we got unlucky or couldn't cash in on chances - the Wings had no legitimate scoring chances.

2. I didn't see a single useful pass from our D to the forwards. Quincey in particular looked bad.

3. Franzen - who I am usually a big fan of - was non-existent. He looked like he was skating through mud. Same goes for Sammy.

4. Special teams = scary bad. Is Tom Renney running them? I've lost all faith in Renney's abilities after watching the debacle in Edmonton over the last few years. They've got to fix that.

BUT, that was only game 1, and it was against a clearly amped-up St. Louis team. I have no doubt it will get better, I just hope it happens quickly. Also, I liked the way Brunner looked, and I liked Tootoo's speed and energy (I wish he made contact with Tarasenko on that hit attempt). Tootoo, Helm, and Miller would be a fast line.

BTW, thoughts on Howard? I actually didn't think he deserved to get pulled - I assume it was more of a mercy move by Babcock.

I think it was definitely a mercy move by Babs and in no way a reflection of Jimmy's play. He was getting shelled out there.

It would've been nice if he had stopped one of the breakaways but I don't really fault him. All in all he played well considering he got no help.

Z and Dats were held without a shot. Datsyuk was uncharacteristically lazy around his own net a couple times. And Mule had one shot but was mostly invisible except for his fake tough guy act.

It is only one game, but when fans are wondering how this team will look in the post-Lidstrom era, this is a nightmare first glimpse.

Z and Dats were held without a shot. Datsyuk was uncharacteristically lazy around his own net a couple times.

I'm not sure how to reconcile this, and how both of these guys were playing in Europe earlier this month (and for months prior). Both of the Euro Twins should have been more than ready to go. Whats the deal? Negative locker room vibes? Contagious lazy attitudes from other teammates?

Blues are one of the better teams this year and I could easily see them in the finals. They physically dominated us which I think validates the Tootoo signing. At this point though I wish Holland had chased Prust instead of Sammy.

Still just one game though, not losing my head just yet

Lots of rust, lots of uninspired play. Perhaps Z is not fully in his Captaincy role yet. I know that both Yzerman and Lidstrom spoke of having to rally the team from a leadership standpoint....it might take a bit for the new C to settle into that.

As for the rust....well, Howard looked worse than Monster. I'm glad for a big upgrade over last season in the backup role.

Franzen....this guy is going to get bought out if he repeats this performance all season.

Not to take anything away from Monster, but by the time he was in, I don't think the Blues were really trying too hard either. They were still skating circles around us, but half as fast as they were earlier in the game.

Blues are one of the better teams this year and I could easily see them in the finals. They physically dominated us which I think validates the Tootoo signing. At this point though I wish Holland had chased Prust instead of Sammy.

Still just one game though, not losing my head just yet

Because Tootoo made things any better last night. They didn't lose because they were out hit, they lost because they got out played in every way conceivable.

Guest Playmaker
I said it during last season and I believe it even more so now. Every person on this teams should be on the trading block except for Datsyuk, Helm, and I guess Z and Howard.

So if they all suck, then who is going to want them and what are we going to get for them and how will they do it within the confines of the salary cap?

I don't understand the point of why people need to police how others react to games. Not calling out the OP here -- just a general statement.

A team full of major question marks just got dismantled 6-0. Frustration and concern is warranted considering what I believe are issues that aren't going away even if the opponent isn't the Blues. I'm not jumping ship or going to panic the season is over from last night. I do believe this is a bigger problem than just "one game" though.

I have this pet theory that - to greatly oversimplify things - the hemlock maybe possibly kinda sorta didn't kill Socrates. It's convoluted, but, I think, right there in Plato's Phaedo.

Point being? I dunno. I'm just blabbering.

0-6. Ugh.

By the way, if no one recalls last year when we lost 7-1 to the caps, after starting the season strong. I'm sure a few people freaked out then too

Well, to be fair, we did kinda lose in the first round. To the Predators. In five games. Even with Lidstrom. And Stuart.

It is time for an overhaul... This small skilled team doesn't equate to NHL hockey anymore. Sure, there is a place on the team for a couple of smaller skilled forwards, but if St. Louis didn't prove anything to anyone else last night, they proved it to me, todays NHL needs BIG skilled forwards... I almost blew my beer through my nose when Mickey Redmond said about Franzen that "There is a guy who can match up physically with Backes..." I laugh hysterically today about it. The Wings are full of small skilled and big average players. The extent of our small skilled forwards should start and end with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. I reserve judgement on Brunner because he is a rookie and well had 1/5 of our shots last night and at one point had half of them. But the rest of this team can and will be judged, especially after 10 games if they aren't at least 6-4.

The makeup of this team needs to be changed drastically. I know Holland tried for the Olsen twins and I give him credit for everything he did over the summer, including the draft where he went with some larger and tougher players along with his couple of smaller skilled players. I know nobody agrees with me, but Franzen needs to be traded and I would say the same about Filppula. Why? Because Filppula can bring us a nice piece in return. I still maintain that Filppula should be traded to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan (if Anaheim would do so.) I know Selanne holds alot of water in Anaheim and the fact that he said he wants to play with Filppula should not go unoticed by Holland and the Anaheim GM. I do not even know what Franzen would get us in return after his epic fall at the end of last season and which contiues today. If traded anywhere, I am sure it would be somewhere where he would have countrymen who have chemistry with him, Vancouver or Dallas come to mind. I have said before about getting Burrows or Morrow for him, but I am not sure now that those teams would want him.... I could see Franzen doing well with the Sedins or Eriksson, which is why I mention those two teams.

Quincey wasn't anywhere worth the 1st round pick, I don't care who would have been selected at #19. Heck, Stuart only cost us a 2nd and a 4th. I maintain that Quincey should not have been re-signed and we should have collected whatever picks we could have gotten as compensation. But no, Holland wasted $3.75M of cap space on this useless garbage.

In my opinion tradeable assets today are:

Filppula, Franzen, Cleary, Emmerton, Quincey, Ericsson, Kindl...(of course along with picks or prospects to get us what we need...)

Waive Mursak, his NHL career is over, WAY over...

Buyout Samuelsson and Bertuzzi....

Edited by LeftWinger

I said it during last season and I believe it even more so now. Every person on this teams should be on the trading block except for Datsyuk, Helm, and I guess Z and Howard.

Add Kronwall to that list.

A trade (or two, or three, or several thousand) is/are definitely in order, though.

We can't rush to judgement. It's been one game One. That's not a trend. It might have just been a collective bad night. I"m not saying it for sure was just bad luck and won't happen again. But we cannot conclude that our team is awful and the worst team in the league yet.

Lets give them 7-10 games before we start talking about fire sales.

By the way, if no one recalls last year when we lost 7-1 to the caps, after starting the season strong. I'm sure a few people freaked out then too

And thankfully, our season ended wonderfully last year.

I'm not sure how to reconcile this, and how both of these guys were playing in Europe earlier this month (and for months prior). Both of the Euro Twins should have been more than ready to go. Whats the deal? Negative locker room vibes? Contagious lazy attitudes from other teammates?

They were playing in non-physical Euro leagues. They forgot what it's like to play against NHL forechecking.

Guest Playmaker
It is time for an overhaul... This small skilled team doesn't equate to NHL hockey anymore. Sure, there is a place on the team for a couple of smaller skilled forwards, but if St. Louis didn't prove anything to anyone else last night, they proved it to me, todays NHL needs BIG skilled forwards... I almost blew my beer through my nose when Mickey Redmond said about Franzen that "There is a guy who can match up physically with Backes..." I laugh hysterically today about it. The Wings are full of small skilled and big average players. The extent of our small skilled forwards should start and end with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. I reserve judgement on Brunner because he is a rookie and well had 1/5 of our shots last night and at one point had half of them. But the rest of this team can and will be judged, especially after 10 games if they aren't at least 6-4.

The makeup of this team needs to be changed drastically. I know Holland tried for the Olsen twins and I give him credit for everything he did over the summer, including the draft where he went with some larger and tougher players along with his couple of smaller skilled players. I know nobody agrees with me, but Franzen needs to be traded and I would say the same about Filppula. Why? Because Filppula can bring us a nice piece in return. I still maintain that Filppula should be traded to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan (if Anaheim would do so.) I know Selanne holds alot of water in Anaheim and the fact that he said he wants to play with Filppula should not go unoticed by Holland and the Anaheim GM. I do not even know what Franzen would get us in return after his epic fall at the end of last season and which contiues today. If traded anywhere, I am sure it would be somewhere where he would have countrymen who have chemistry with him, Vancouver or Dallas come to mind. I have said before about getting Burrows or Morrow for him, but I am not sure now that those teams would want him.... I could see Franzen doing well with the Sedins or Eriksson, which is why I mention those two teams.

Quincey wasn't anywhere worth the 1st round pick, I don't care who would have been selected at #19. Heck, Stuart only cost us a 2nd and a 4th. I maintain that Quincey should not have been re-signed and we should have collected whatever picks we could have gotten as compensation. But no, Holland wasted $3.75M of cap space on this useless garbage.

In my opinion tradeable assets today are:

Filppula, Franzen, Cleary, Emmerton, Quincey, Ericsson, Kindl...(of course along with picks or prospects to get us what we need...)

Waive Mursak, his NHL career is over, WAY over...

Buyout Samuelsson and Bertuzzi....

What makes you think Filppula is going to give us a good return? So Selanne likes him. Teemu is also 41 and not likely to be playing much longer. So the Ducks are going to trade for him so Teemu can play with is buddy when they don't know how much longer he'll play? So he sucks, lets trade him, and we'll get someone really good in return? What value does Cleary have? He's old, often injured and overpaid. Emmerton? What picks and prospects?

I always have to laugh when fans think our players suck, but yet they think they're incredibly valuable to someone else. If small skilled players aren't the "in" thing, why would other teams want them?

We're in a hole re: trading. The way I see it, it's two-fold. First, we don't have many (if any) sexy assets that we can really, truly afford to part with. Part two: Who's gonna trade with us? Say you're up top @, oh, say, Duckland. Do you really want to be be the guy who potentially gets the Wings out of a major, major jam? Do you want to be the one who gives them a ladder out of hell? Me, personally, (assuming I'm very much not a Wings fan), I would much prefer to spit in this franchise's collective face, even if they do have a somewhat attractive asset or two. (Every team has attractive assets.)

Edited by Dabura

Yesterday was ugly and painful to watch. Issues from last season remain, and new holes were exposed as expected--the guys looked oblivious out there and were outworked in every way possible. Yet the world didn't end, nobody died, [insert cataclysmic event that didn't happen]. This is a team in transition in every possible way, and I would rather have them work out the kinks, retool, rebuild, whatever you want to call it and have it affect this abortion of a half season than have to watch a full season of them figuring out how their d***s work. I expect we'll see the Wings struggle quite a bit this season, but I don't think it will always be as heinous as what we saw last night. We might not make the playoffs this year, and you know what? I'm strangely ok with that. I like winning as much as the next fan, but all good things must come to an end. I love this team win or lose, and we've been blessed that the winning has come more often than the losses. The Wings are in a decline, but it's a decline that can be stopped with some good moves and acquisitions, a new identity, and a new approach. We are entering the Z era, and the last of the old guard is gone (miss you Homer!). Let's start fresh, tolerate them during their "oh my god, I have toes that move!" baby stages, and hope that we see a new, competitive Wings team emerge.

tumblr_m7olhouBVo1qdbc7f.gif

ZDB are suffering from the same symptoms Hudler had after returning from Europe: They forgot what it's lke to get hit every few strides, not used to no time and no space, not used to the pace of the NHL game. In everyone of those highlight clips of Z and B in the frikin silly little league (for God's sake), there is absolutely zero contact, and tons of ice to play in, and lame ass DMan spectating and hoping for an autograph along the way.

Their legs may be in shape, but that league was like semi retirement for those guys, they got away with things they'd never be able to do in the NHL. It hurt their on ice work ethic, and hopefully they'll recover faster than Hudler did.

Guest Playmaker

"do not even know what Franzen would get us in return after his epic fall at the end of last season and which contiues today. If traded anywhere, I am sure it would be somewhere where he would have countrymen who have chemistry with him, Vancouver or Dallas come to mind"

Because the Wings obviously have no fellow countrymen of Franzen (Swedes)????

When they beat the blue jackets and Stars this will all go away.

No it won't. This will only go away when we have a good run in the playoffs and prove we're a legit team again. We've been going backwards since 2009 due to players aging/retiring/leaving via UFA/signing lifetime contracts and no longer giving a damn. So now we're relying on a D-corp full of 3rd pairing players, and hoping for a bunch of rookies to win all 3 Calder nominations.

The signs have been there for all to see, especially in the playoffs. 2 successive losses to the Sharks where only Dats and Jimmy made it look respectable, then the Nashville series were even they couldn't hide the teams issues. Its still to early to predict were we'll finish, somewhere between 6 and 10 IMO, but I keep saying it, we're stuck in the NHL Poverty trap. Not good enough to challenge, not bad enough to rebuild through the draft.

It's just one game. Can we please not fly off the handle after game 1? We still have a solid team and the layoff has alot to do with it. Keep in mind most of our guys didnt play a whole hell of alot during the lockout.....Jeezus what is it with you ppl already counting us out?

I still think the Wings are pretty sexy dude. They all just forgot to sharpen their skates, my boy Brunner looked timid and Helm needs to get back asap. Just an observation though, Emmerton actually looked good in his limited ice time and Nyquist should be in the line up and Sammy should be on the 3rd line.