• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#61 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,453 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Our guys need to play with more energy and speed. I'm just not sure if they are capable of doing that though....

this is also my fear...

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#62 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hey! You there! Stop being realistic!

Sorry :blushing: I guess it comes from turning 40! :lol:

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#63 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

ZDB are suffering from the same symptoms Hudler had after returning from Europe:  They forgot what it's lke to get hit every few strides, not used to no time and no space, not used to the pace of the NHL game.  In everyone of those highlight clips of Z and B in the frikin silly little league (for God's sake), there is absolutely zero contact, and tons of ice to play in, and lame ass DMan spectating and hoping for an autograph along the way.

Their legs may be in shape, but that league was like semi retirement for those guys, they got away with things they'd never be able to do in the NHL.  It hurt their on ice work ethic, and hopefully they'll recover faster than Hudler did.

Pretty good analysis...I really hope this is only a short-term problem. 

Seems like it would have been to the players' benefit to organize some kind of interm league in North America. Whoops. 

#64 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Pretty good analysis...I really hope this is only a short-term problem. 

Seems like it would have been to the players' benefit to organize some kind of interm league in North America. Whoops. 

So they've both played in NA for 10 plus years, but they've forgotten the style after a few months in Europe? 

#65 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

It's 1 game, 47 to go, but honestly, I'm good either way if we have a good or bad season. I'm not one of these, "Just make the playoffs, anything can happen" fans. If losing Lidstrom is going to be this big of a blow, then why not just reload through the draft?... Next game is @ Columbus, so everything could be right in Hockeytown again by tomorrow night.

By the way, I laughed when I saw the Canucks score. All the Schneider #1 and trade Luongo talk and Schneider he allows 5 goals on 14 shots!

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#66 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

What makes you think Filppula is going to give us a good return?  So Selanne likes him.  Teemu is also 41 and not likely to be playing much longer.  So the Ducks are going to trade for him so Teemu can play with is buddy when they don't know how much longer he'll play? So he sucks, lets trade him, and we'll get someone really good in return?  What value does Cleary have? He's old, often injured and overpaid.   Emmerton?  What picks and prospects? 

I always have to laugh when fans think our players suck, but yet they think they're incredibly valuable to someone else.  If small skilled players aren't the "in" thing, why would other teams want them? 

I never said that list of players suck (besides Franzen, Kindl, Quincey) I just listed players that I feel are tradeable as of today.

I frankly don't care what value they have, Filppula could get you Bobby Ryan for sure. Cleary has value of leadership maybe for a young team, he may get you a draft pick of some sort. Emmerton would get you a draft pick.  You could always package picks and prospects to help get a Bobby Ryan here.  Take your pick of prospects, Tatar, Nyquist, Andersson are all expendable with the other prospects we have.

Again, I am not asking to trade ALL the players I listed, those are just the ones that are expendable.  Of those, Filppula is the most valuable and would get you something you NEED in return.  My point about Selanne is, if indeed Ryan is the whipping boy out there and needs a fresh start, offering Filppula to Anaheim would be intriguing enough for Selanne to put a stamp of approval on it because of his desire to play with him.  He and Selanne (according to Selanne) have great chemistry together and we could use someone like Bobby Ryan on this team.  We have way enough playmaking forwards, we need a scorer or two.  Also, getting Bobby Ryan in a Wings uniform would make Detroit a more attractive place for Corey Perry come UFA day.

Now answer me this, which lineup looks better. (assuming Brunner works out and gets re-signed)

Ryan - Dastyuk - Perry

Brunner - Zetterberg - Burrows

or

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Brunner

Franzen - Filppula - Samuelsson

(I threw Burrows in there because I also believe Franzen could be more valuable on Vancouver than here and he (along with a prospect) could get you Burrows....

(granted, this is just hypothetically assuming that Vancouver and Anaheim would want to dance with Holland.)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#67 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

So they've both played in NA for 10 plus years, but they've forgotten the style after a few months in Europe?

I guess it would be like in the olden days when we used to cruise into the playoffs, then come up against a 7th or 8th seed in the first round and struggle the first couple of games.  It wasn't that we had "forgotten" to play in the playoffs, just that the opponents had been scrapping for their lives every night just to make the playoffs and didn't need to flick a switch or anything.  Same thing often happens when 1 team goes through 4-0 and their opponent 4-3, the side that won in 7 often starts the series better.

Edited by Nev, 20 January 2013 - 03:45 PM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#68 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Ya know I'm not too concerned because that wasn't the team I expect to end the year with. I see the Wings as a 7 seed with Sheahan and Nyquist on the team. Give this team 10 games and see where they're at.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#69 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

"do not even know what Franzen would get us in return after his epic fall at the end of last season and which contiues today. If traded anywhere, I am sure it would be somewhere where he would have countrymen who have chemistry with him, Vancouver or Dallas come to mind"

Because the Wings obviously have no fellow countrymen of Franzen (Swedes)???? 

Yes they have Zetterberg up front to play with Franzen. BUT Franzen has proven time and time again that he doesn't do any better playing with Z.  I am not saying that he would guarantee step in Vancouver and strike gold with the Sedins, but hell, even Samuelsson played on that line a scored 30 goals playing with them. Giving Franzen's potential and the excitement he MAY get from a change of scenery AND playing with the Sedins, he could get 40 or 50 in a full season.  He is never going to top 30 here.

ALso I am not saying Burrows would come here and nail 50 in, but again, he is a total different type fo player than Franzen and he would bring a whole different dimension to Detroit, which is what Detroit needs....New types of players...

www.thinkdunes.com

#70 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

It's 1 game, 47 to go, but honestly, I'm good either way if we have a good or bad season. I'm not one of these, "Just make the playoffs, anything can happen" fans. If losing Lidstrom is going to be this big of a blow, then why not just reload through the draft?... Next game is @ Columbus, so everything could be right in Hockeytown again by tomorrow night.

I agree with you 100% on this.

#71 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

I still think the Wings are pretty sexy dude.  They all just forgot to sharpen their skates, my boy Brunner looked timid and Helm needs to get back asap.  Just an observation though, Emmerton actually looked good in his limited ice time and Nyquist should be in the line up and Sammy should be on the 3rd line.

I agree that even though he was easily one of our best last night, that Brunner looked timid or just star struck.  I also agree Sammy is a better third liner....

What would you think about putting a line together of Brunner - Zetterberg - Tootoo?

I am not saying Tootoo is a top 6 talent, but given the fact that both Z and Gunner got knocked all over the place last night, having Tootoo out there with them could give those guys a bit more sense of security...

www.thinkdunes.com

#72 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

I agree that even though he was easily one of our best last night, that Brunner looked timid or just star struck.  I also agree Sammy is a better third liner....

What would you think about putting a line together of Brunner - Zetterberg - Tootoo?

I am not saying Tootoo is a top 6 talent, but given the fact that both Z and Gunner got knocked all over the place last night, having Tootoo out there with them could give those guys a bit more sense of security...

Tootoo didn't do jack s*** until the Wings were down 6-0 and halfway through the 3rd period.  His big contribution was throwing his body into the boards and completely missing the hit and getting a 10 minute misconduct for chirping. 

#73 Zetterling

Zetterling

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Edited by Zetterling, 20 January 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#74 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Tootoo didn't do jack s*** until the Wings were down 6-0 and halfway through the 3rd period.  His big contribution was throwing his body into the boards and completely missing the hit and getting a 10 minute misconduct for chirping. 

and sadly, that is more than most the rest of the team did...

Franzen - Datsyuk - Filppula

Brunner - Zetterberg - Tootoo

Nyquist - Helm (when ready) - Sammy

Cleary - Abby - Eaves

Why not?

When Bert is healthy slot him in Nyquist's spot.

Over the summer, the two buyouts MUST be Bertuzzi and Samuelsson...

www.thinkdunes.com

#75 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

I never said that list of players suck (besides Franzen, Kindl, Quincey) I just listed players that I feel are tradeable as of today.

I frankly don't care what value they have, Filppula could get you Bobby Ryan for sure. Cleary has value of leadership maybe for a young team, he may get you a draft pick of some sort. Emmerton would get you a draft pick.  You could always package picks and prospects to help get a Bobby Ryan here.  Take your pick of prospects, Tatar, Nyquist, Andersson are all expendable with the other prospects we have.

Again, I am not asking to trade ALL the players I listed, those are just the ones that are expendable.  Of those, Filppula is the most valuable and would get you something you NEED in return.  My point about Selanne is, if indeed Ryan is the whipping boy out there and needs a fresh start, offering Filppula to Anaheim would be intriguing enough for Selanne to put a stamp of approval on it because of his desire to play with him.  He and Selanne (according to Selanne) have great chemistry together and we could use someone like Bobby Ryan on this team.  We have way enough playmaking forwards, we need a scorer or two.  Also, getting Bobby Ryan in a Wings uniform would make Detroit a more attractive place for Corey Perry come UFA day.

Now answer me this, which lineup looks better. (assuming Brunner works out and gets re-signed)

Ryan - Dastyuk - Perry

Brunner - Zetterberg - Burrows

or

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Brunner

Franzen - Filppula - Samuelsson

(I threw Burrows in there because I also believe Franzen could be more valuable on Vancouver than here and he (along with a prospect) could get you Burrows....

(granted, this is just hypothetically assuming that Vancouver and Anaheim would want to dance with Holland.)

Sorry, but you're dealing in fantasy and not reality.  Do you really think that Ken Holland wouldn't pull the trigger if the Ducks offered Bobby Ryan straight up for Filppula?  In addition, where's it written that Corey Perry will only play where Bobby Ryan does? 

FWIW, they aren't clamoring for more Swedes in Vancouver.  Just the opposite.  We've won Cups with our Swedes, and they haven't and their fans think they need more Canadians, just like the Wings fans do. 

If Tatar, Nyquist and Sheahan are such great talent, why aren't they playing on a team in desperate need of scoring and defense?

I'm not saying that some changes wouldn't be a good thing, but the price you pay for being good for so long is that you don't get quality draft picks.  They don't have the picks and the young talent to make trades like other teams do.  They've been good for so long because they were way ahead of the game in Russia and Sweden scouting players.  Other teams have caught up in that regard so the Wings aren't getting what they used to.  Teams just don't stay good for a quarter of a century like the Wings have. It's going to end eventually and hopefully the Wings can avoid a prolonged plummet and can at least remain somewhat entertaining. 

• Nev likes this

#76 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Finesse hockey isn't really what's winning today.  But I'm going to try and reserve judgement until after a few more games.

Finesse hockey may or may not be winning today. But it has nothing to do with Wings play yesterday. I do not recall seeing any finesse from Detroit players,

#77 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,610 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Sorry, but you're dealing in fantasy and not reality.  Do you really think that Ken Holland wouldn't pull the trigger if the Ducks offered Bobby Ryan straight up for Filppula?  In addition, where's it written that Corey Perry will only play where Bobby Ryan does? 

FWIW, they aren't clamoring for more Swedes in Vancouver.  Just the opposite.  We've won Cups with our Swedes, and they haven't and their fans think they need more Canadians, just like the Wings fans do. 

If Tatar, Nyquist and Sheahan are such great talent, why aren't they playing on a team in desperate need of scoring and defense?

I'm not saying that some changes wouldn't be a good thing, but the price you pay for being good for so long is that you don't get quality draft picks.  They don't have the picks and the young talent to make trades like other teams do.  They've been good for so long because they were way ahead of the game in Russia and Sweden scouting players.  Other teams have caught up in that regard so the Wings aren't getting what they used to.  Teams just don't stay good for a quarter of a century like the Wings have. It's going to end eventually and hopefully the Wings can avoid a prolonged plummet and can at least remain somewhat entertaining. 

I said, if you read it, that having Bobby Ryan here would make Detroit more attractive to Corey Perry, I didn't say that Perry will go wherever Ryan is playing. I think Ken Holland has already balked on acquiring Ryan over the summer.  But I think it would take more to get Ryan of course.  But if Selanne put in his 2 cents on Filppula and then Holland threw in a Tatar and a pick, then Ryan could be a Red Wing.  And its the same with Vancouver, if the Sedins think that Franzen could be a commodity that would put them over the top, the Vancouver brass wouldn't hesitate to contact Holland.

Unfortunately, none of that is happening because it doesn't seem that anyone is contacting Holland, PLUS Holland will never trade away Franzen or Filppula because he loves his Euros way too much.  I bet he would trade Helm before he traded Franzen...

www.thinkdunes.com

#78 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Playmaker" data-cid="2342771" data-time="1358717402"><p>
Sorry, but you're dealing in fantasy and not reality.  Do you really think that Ken Holland wouldn't pull the trigger if the Ducks offered Bobby Ryan straight up for Filppula?  In addition, where's it written that Corey Perry will only play where Bobby Ryan does? <br />
 <br />
FWIW, they aren't clamoring for more Swedes in Vancouver.  Just the opposite.  We've won Cups with our Swedes, and they haven't and their fans think they need more Canadians, just like the Wings fans do. <br />
 <br />
If Tatar, Nyquist and Sheahan are such great talent, why aren't they playing on a team in desperate need of scoring and defense?<br />
 <br />
I'm not saying that some changes wouldn't be a good thing, but the price you pay for being good for so long is that you don't get quality draft picks.  They don't have the picks and the young talent to make trades like other teams do.  They've been good for so long because they were way ahead of the game in Russia and Sweden scouting players.  Other teams have caught up in that regard so the Wings aren't getting what they used to.  Teams just don't stay good for a quarter of a century like the Wings have. It's going to end eventually and hopefully the Wings can avoid a prolonged plummet and can at least remain somewhat entertaining. </p></blockquote>

1 game into the season and its a plummet!!!! I love LGW for this reason alone. Sheahan and Nyquist aren't playing because its the first game. Wait till the 5th when old man Cleary is still making himself look worse than he is, and Sammy wears out his welcome and ends up on the third line in favor of Nyquist.

Line up for the 6th game of the year

Franzen-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Zetterberg-Filpula-Brunner
Bertuzzi-Helm-Samuelson
Abdelkader-Sheahan-Tootoo

Edited by matt198913, 20 January 2013 - 04:47 PM.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#79 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Y'know what'd really help? A real third line.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#80 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Y'know what'd really help? A real third line.

Of course it would.  But this is what happens with a salary cap.