• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Minnesota

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

Looking good. Kenny really screwed up by losing the Suter/Parise sweepstakes. His ass should be on the line if we end up missing the playoffs. Parise is a difference maker.

A lot of people here seem to believe that Minnesota's winning pitch sealed the deal for Suter and Parise. Meaning: anything that, say, Mike Illitch could have offered in response (to Minnesota's offer) could not have dissuaded Suter and/or Parise from joining the Wild.

My impression is, we threw in the towel at that point and said No to even trying to match. (And, if that was indeed the call, maybe it was the right call, maybe it wasn't, I dunno.)

Edited by Dabura

Holland did everything he could.

I guess the question is, Did he? Not that I really care, and not that it really matters at this point - I just kind of wonder why everyone seems to accept that everything and more was done to get at least one of these guys on our side, and in the end it just came down to them wanting to go to the Wild. I mean...was our Ultiimate Pitch the exact same as Minnesota's? (*Not saying it necessarily should've been.*) The way we talk about it around here, you'd think it was.

I dunno. I don't consider the Wild a true contender. But, knowing our luck, I could see them bouncing us out of the 1st or 2nd round, and Parise lighting Howard up, and Suter demolishing us. And I imagine I'd cry a bit.

I won't lie after watching both games. Only two games in mind you long ways to go. Suter has not looked good at all. Glad he went to Minnesota highly overrated imo.

Parise on the otherhand. Has looked well like the normal Zach Parise.

Also that Granlund kid could become the real deal.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

I'm one of the "undercover LGW'ers" living in Minnesota, the fan base here just really annoys me. Obviously, they know the sport itself, or they wouldn't bother taking their kids to all those 6am practices and obsessing over WCHA games with the Golden Gophers. But given that they had no hockey here from 1993-99 (an era of DRAMATIC change in the NHL), and then Lemaire trapped and dumped his way to 8 terribly boring seasons when they got the Wild...it's almost like their impressions of the professional game are locked in some time capsule from the 1970's. When Slap Shot and the Minnesota North Stars are your reference points for the NHL, it explains whey they always need a super-goon here - from Boogaard (R.I.P.) to John Scott to Zenon Konopka.

People need to keep in mind that the Wild were as bad as they were for a reason last year. They had the NHL's best record for, like, 20 games, and then were AWFUL. I think their 2nd half record was worse than Columbus last year. The defensive corps is young and undersized. Adding a horse like Suter helps, but I always thought Weber was clearly superior out of those two, and they always played together. So how much do we really know about Suter?

Parise is like the messiah here - they should've just given him the "C" and bumped Koivu down to an "A" because it seems inevitable anyway. Homegrown kid comes home, and his dad played for the North Stars for parts of 8 seasons. People assumed here that Parise would sign during LAST season, which made it more annoying when it actually happened. But at least with Parise, you understand the appeal. The Wings needed Suter, and he came to Minnesota just to follow Parise and because of his wife. I've taken to calling him "Becky" around my Wild fans, let's see how long before they pick up on it.

I think the Wild are a better team than they were before, but their first two opponents weren't world beaters, and things are screwy all over the league because of the quick start. I still believe that you can't make a bad team good just by adding a player (or two). (See 2001 Capitals, New York Rangers since 1995). Minnesota will likely get better, but mostly because of their revamped farm system, which went from horrible two years ago to one of the better ones in hockey now.

Guest Crymson

Suter told me in private that he would have signed with Detroit had Holland brought back Boyd Devereaux.

The Wings needed Suter, and he came to Minnesota just to follow Parise and because of his wife. I've taken to calling him "Becky" around my Wild fans, let's see how long before they pick up on it.

This just sounds bitter. Yes, Wings needed Suter but this alone is not enough to sign him. Apparently Suter did not need the Red Wings. I think it is a mistake to assume that given the same deal any hockey player would pick Detroit over any other team. Everybody got his reasons for doing one thing instead of another. Keeping one's wife happy is actually not bad reason.

Guest The Axe

9 mil per for 12 seasons would have got them both. Holland didnt want to chance it. He decided Bertuzzi, Sammy, Gustavson, Tootoo, and quincey were a better way to fill the 18 mil gap (lidstrom + all those scrubs) they had than Suter and Parise. His ass should be on the line for that stupid decision making. We are paying a lot for a big group of mediocre players. We should pay a lot for great players or save the money.