• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Adidarw

Longest Non-Expansion Eras of the NHL

Rate this topic

I found my way to this page from hockeydb.com: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/141.html

From 1942 to 1967 (25 years) the NHL had 6 teams, then expanded to 12 teams in 1967. This is the longest streak the NHL went so far without an expansion.

Then from 1979 to 1991 (12 years) the NHL had 21 teams, then expanded to 22 teams in 1991.

As of the end of this season, the NHL will have gone 12 years again without expanding.

These 3 eras are the longest streaks the NHL has gone without expansion.

I find this to be some interesting information, rather it means anything or not. Although I'm sure the NHL management isn't looking at this information and saying "Hey, we've got to do something about this, guys!"

I wonder if the lockouts we've gone through have had any impact on expansion talks.

I think the league has kind of plateaued on amount of teams. Some teams are struggling a little financially, teams are relocating, changing owners.. But if there were ever going to be talks of expanding, I'd bet the lockouts are a factor for not expanding.

expansion? hell no! if anything, the NHL needs to contract. To many teams and not enough talent to support them. It is all a matter of population. Compare MLB-30 teams and the NHL. What is the population of the baseball playing world? US, mexico, venuzula, DR, Japan, Korea, Tiawan, etc...... est 700 million+. How about the hockey playing world? Canada, Swedan, Finland, the former USSR, etc... There might be a total of 300 million. The NHL should reduce back down to 24 teams and build those teams up and have a better overall product.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Richdg" data-cid="2343168" data-time="1358807145"><p>

expansion? hell no! if anything, the NHL needs to contract. To many teams and not enough talent to support them. It is all a matter of population. Compare MLB-30 teams and the NHL. What is the population of the baseball playing world? US, mexico, venuzula, DR, Japan, Korea, Tiawan, etc...... est 700 million+. How about the hockey playing world? Canada, Swedan, Finland, the former USSR, etc... There might be a total of 300 million. The NHL should reduce back down to 24 teams and build those teams up and have a better overall product.</p></blockquote>

I think your numbers are wayyyyy off, but I agree with your assessment of where the talent pool comes from and there bring a great disparity on that pool's size...

With that said, as we've already touched on, there's no way they need expansion... I personally think they should contract to 28, have two 14 team conferences (just for scheduling purposes), no divisions and go playoffs seeding of top 16 make it, no conferences for playoffs, 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15, etc...

Kill Florida, kill Phoenix, move NYI to Quebec, do a dispersal draft, sit back and watch the ratings and revenue go up... If you really want, go ahead and move Nashville to Kansas City while you're at it...