• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/22 GDT : Stars 2 at Red Wings 1

Rate this topic

Okey doke, here's a few observations from last night (both good and bad) which I think bear heavily of the effectiveness of this team. I'm not going to talk about personnel moves because that's purely speculative at this point, and it's also beaten to death. So...

1. Pavel Datsyuk should never EVER play on the wing. Arguably the best playmaking center in the game, and without doubt the best stickhandler in the history of the game, needs to be carrying the puck. Period.

2. After Babs shook up the line combos there was a couple of quick scoring chances, and I generally liked the makeup of the first line after the change. Prior to the first game when the lines were announced, I thought putting Pav,Z, and Brunner was a mistake. No net front presence, two guys that need the puck to be effective, nobody that can power the puck into the zone, or hang onto it against big defensemen. That has born out in reality. From here on out I'd like to see Pav, Brunner, Franzen together and Zetterberg, Flip (on the wing), and Sammy/Bert. Nyquist and Flip should NEVER EVER play on a line together if it can be helped. Watching them overpass last night instead of take it to the net was infuriating.

3. The fourth line is super effective, and once Abby (who's also looking good) gets on it they are going to wreck shop. Expect bigger minutes from these guys in the future and eventually a lot more scoring. Also, Tootoo is awesome as hell.

4. Brian Lashoff, after another safe, effective, and poised game does not come out of this lineup any time soon. This kid's game translates well to the NHL because he's a good decision maker who doesn't try to do too much in terms of generating offense. He plays defense, gets the puck safely to the forwards, and his job is done. I like it, and we need more of it.

5. All in all the defense looked better last night, across the board. Quincey wasn't as bad as the last two games. Everyone played better. But thank god for Jimmy Howard, who's been a hero all three games.

6. Special teams: The PK looked better, but again, thank god for Howard. The PK will continue to improve as Helm, Eaves, and Ericsson get into the lineup/get playing optimally. The PP on the other hand, looks lost. It's as if they believe if they continue to pass it around enough, Lidstrom will magically appear and take the point shot for them. They need a lot more coaching to learn this new system, which is the one thing they haven't had so far this season. As they get a little time to learn it the system will work, but we have to remember that we've got four guys on the first PP who have always run a PP the same way for their whole careers. The change is necessary, but hard won. I like the new look though, with Brunner and Kronwall rotating between the point and the half boards, that movement is going to pay off. Almost did for Brunner against Columbus, had he one timed the puck. Once he learns his shooting angles he'll improve on the PP as well.

Edited by kipwinger

Huskins played very well last night. For a guy sign for a team and be in the lineup 8 hours later he went beyond my expectations. Other than the last 8 minutes of the game Dallas was the better team and deserved the win. Nyquist wasnt very good. Despite the lack of offence I am real impressed with Brunner. The puck just seems to find him in scoring chances. Hes got to start putting them in but I think that will come. Id rather have a player getting chances but not converting over a player whos just not getting chances *ahem* Franzen. How many times the last two years have we heard Mick say "If only Franzen could get going he could be a real difference in this game"? Howard continues to be the Wings best player and he was the one I was worried most about coming out of the lockout since he hadnt seen game action in a long time. Wings need to get things turned around or this hole might get to big by mid feb.

Went to the game last night. We looked good in most aspects, except for Defensive positioning by a few of the younger guys (Lashoff and Smith). Stars forwards were getting behind them all night. I liked our compete level last night though, we were moving our feet the whole game. Highlight of the night: the crowds reaction to Tootoo being announced pre-game.

Highlight of the night: the crowds reaction to Tootoo being announced pre-game.

See, that just confused me. It sounded like they were booing. Like for the longest time I thought Canucks' fans were booing Lou every time he made a save.

See, that just confused me. It sounded like they were booing. Like for the longest time I thought Canucks' fans were booing Lou every time he made a save.

I got nervous that they were boo'ing tootoo and it seriously made me pissed. i kept asking my girlfriend if they were going "boooooo" or saying "toooooooooooooooooooooooo". Then I got scared when Zetty went and split the line and stood next to him, like maybe he wanted to make him feel better. All was normal when he laid the big first hit and the crowd went, "tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

I have to come clean though....I booed Cleary on the introductions. As my previous posts may had indicated, his lock-out rhetoric and comments regarding the League were driving me insane. I thought it was a bit "non Red Wing" like for him to be always yapping his mouth. So, I promised myself I'd boo him at first opportunity. Now that I did that, it's out of my system and he's back in good stead in my world.

Stepping in late,,,on the broadcast last night, they said it was a sellout crowd. 20,000 +. Didn't look that way to me. Usual lower bowl corporate empty seats, but lots empty above, too.

well, crap. posted this in the wrong thread. please disregard....lol.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS