• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
StormJH1

Jordin Tootoo: Usage? (6:57 TOI vs. Columbus)

Rate this topic

Guest RedWingsDad
Is it just me, or has Boll fought all our fighters from the last few years?

Downey

Lilja

May

Tootoo

I was going to type in Ericsson, but it was Dorsett who Ericsson fought last year.

He can beat taller guys, but Tootoo isn't as great a fighter as he used to be several years ago.

Just be happy that he's willing and will stick up for the team. I don't expect him to win many fights this year.

Lilja was a fighter? Say what?

Tootoo was awesome last night, exactly what I had hoped for when we got him.

The reason for his ice time being so low is obviously because of the penalties. There were something like 36 minutes of minor penalties called, over half the game. (Also, none of those minors were taken by Tootoo, a complaint that this detractors were concerned about when he was signed).

I expect him to get around 10 minutes in a more evenly officiated game, and I think when our lines are back to normal, and he is playing with Abby instead of Emmerton, that line will see even more ice time.

Tootoo was awesome last night, exactly what I had hoped for when we got him.

The reason for his ice time being so low is obviously because of the penalties. There were something like 36 minutes of minor penalties called, over half the game. (Also, none of those minors were taken by Tootoo, a complaint that this detractors were concerned about when he was signed).

I expect him to get around 10 minutes in a more evenly officiated game, and I think when our lines are back to normal, and he is playing with Abby instead of Emmerton, that line will see even more ice time.

That's what I was thinking. Last night was one of those games where the losing team gets a bunch of weak calls their way and before you know it, they're in a hole and trying to dig uphill with make-up penalties until the game became a bit of a joke. The tripping call that resulted in their 3rd goal? I don't think our guy even extended his arms or legs, the Jacket player literally dove around him and dove to the ice and sold it. And the penalty against a Jacket for whatever he did to Abdelkader was laughable too. Tootoo won't play a ton as a 4th liner who doesn't kill penalties. His role is different. We may not be used to it.

Not trying to say role players are bad or useless. But honestly if our success lives and dies on Jordin Tootoo's ice time I think we are in much bigger trouble than we realize.

Good thing this is a team sport and nothing hinges on one guy. He has a role, and he does it. He did it last night, nothing to complain about really.

I actually would love to see him in front of the net on the PP, especially if we have Brunner on the point. I think the overload of offense on the PP is drowning it. Stick 22 in front and get him to claw, scrath and fight for a position there. He is a big strong dude who does have the ability to score goals for a role player......May work.

Good thing this is a team sport and nothing hinges on one guy. He has a role, and he does it. He did it last night, nothing to complain about really.

I agree he played his roll last night. I am happy with him playing 6 minutes a night, starting a fight and providing some energy.

What I disagree with are these calls for him to be on the top 2 lines and start getting major ice time at the cost of someone else. What I was trying to say is that if our success depends on Tootoo playing top 2 and 15+ mins a night then we are screwed because it means many of our better and higher payed players aren't getting it done and a major overhaul might be required.

I agree he played his roll last night. I am happy with him playing 6 minutes a night, starting a fight and providing some energy. What I disagree with are these calls for him to be on the top 2 lines and start getting major ice time at the cost of someone else. What I was trying to say is that if our success depends on Tootoo playing top 2 and 15+ mins a night then we are screwed because it means many of our better and higher payed players aren't getting it done and a major overhaul might be required.

who the hell wants him as a top 6 forward? he's a bottom 6 grinder? he pisses people off, he knows his job, and he wants everyone else to know why he was brought in. where did you get this idea that Babcock wanted to play Tootoo 20 minutes a night at the expense of others?

He had 21 minor penalties last year, which is significantly less than what Quincey and Bertuzzi had last year. It's also very consistent with what 5 other Wings took last year (+ only 5 more than what Zetterberg took).

His average time on ice for Nashville ranged from 10 minutes to 13 minutes per game. Last season was actually a career high for him.

It's tough for me to put together a coherent argument here because I didn't him on the team in the first place, and certainly not for 3 years, $1.9 AAC...but I'm trapped into the argument that if they did bother to acquire him and pay that, there must of have been some plan for him greater than sub-Cory Emmerton levels of importance. We're missing several forwards and he's still treated as a generic 4th liner/pest. And I trust Babcock, so I'm left to assume that's really the best he can possibly be.

I get that people like the chippiness, but Tootoo is not a "big strong" player, nor was he "very important" to our win last night. I watched that game from start to finish - it takes "Brad May" levels of message board delusion to think that Tootoo had anything more to do with that shootout win than Abdelkader, Miller, or perhaps the equipment manager.

Edited by StormJH1

I like him and thoroughly enjoyed watching him last night. I however, am biased. I think teams need players of Tootoo's ilk and if you look at some of my old posts you'll see a boatload of Downey defending... I also own a Downey jersey if that counts....

Edited by DSM

His average time on ice for Nashville ranged from 10 minutes to 13 minutes per game. Last season was actually a career high for him.

It's tough for me to put together a coherent argument here because I didn't him on the team in the first place, and certainly not for 3 years, $1.9 AAC...but I'm trapped into the argument that if they did bother to acquire him and pay that, there must of have been some plan for him greater than sub-Cory Emmerton levels of importance. We're missing several forwards and he's still treated as a generic 4th liner/pest. And I trust Babcock, so I'm left to assume that's really the best he can possibly be.

I get that people like the chippiness, but Tootoo is not a "big strong" player, nor was he "very important" to our win last night. I watched that game from start to finish - it takes "Brad May" levels of message board delusion to think that Tootoo had anything more to do with that shootout win than Abdelkader, Miller, or perhaps the equipment manager.

Well, all depends on trust within the franchise. Tootoo went through struggling times with nashville which lead them to have a reputation with him. you basically get judged. it seems they had lost their trust with the man, and didn't want to re-acquitate him within the system. It's understandable though, as tootoo wasn't their only big body that was willing to throw it around and cause havok. they just didn't need him. so yes, he didn't get the greatest of ice-time, but like always different players flourish with different teams. detroit has embraced tootoo, and that has to feel frickin damn good inside. the team came calling, he has purpose in his game again, he knows people are relying on him. look at how much pride mccarty had knowing that he was out there to be the protector, he was out there to watch the backs of his boys. take tootoo, someone who worked for a club that didn't have trust and a role for him and then put them somewhere they're wanted and needed. i'm sure tootoo is going to love his stay here, and i'm positive we're going to return that love. hell, i know i loved this signing since day 1. now, tootoo isn't the strongest of guys, but he has heart. last night he came out guns blazin, he wanted to send a message, hell for all we know he could've personally went to babcock and said, "i want first shift, i want to set the tone." babcock simply rogered up and wanted to see what it was about. everytime i saw tootoo on the ice, he was banging the body, he was going full-speed, he was trying to get on the puck, he was being that damn pest he needs to be. so i really think he did have a big impact on last nights game. we had just gotten our asses WHOMPED on by st.louis, physically and mentally, and then tootoo comes out and says, "please, try this s*** on us tonight and you're just promising me a good time." you gotta love that man. you gotta.

We finally get a guy who fights, hits like a maniac, will protect Datsyuk and Zetterberg no matter the size of the guy going after them, can skate, pass and shoot, and now here we are. People actually complaining about this player because Babs didn't play him more? Babs has had a barely two weeks to work with Tootoo, and it's the second game of the year. Of course he'll play guys like Miller and Abby more, he trusts those guys because he knows them better. Give him time, if by game 20 your still hating on Tootoo or questioning what he brings to the team... well I'm not sure what i'll tell ya, because I'll all but guarantee he'll be a fan favorite soon enough.

Lilja was a fighter? Say what?

:lol:

I know. It makes me sad for these younger folk who have never seen what an actual decent fighter on the Wings looks llike. Instead they have to settle for years of guys like Lillypads, or fighters at the twilight of their career like May and Downey. Or worse, no fighters at all. While I'm glad Bert fought Weber, it's sad that a 37 year old who hardly drops the gloves had to make Weber answer the bell.

Though with GMR it seems like a running joke about Lilja. I give Lilja a lot of credit for basically learning to fight at the NHL level, but he was a pretty terrible fighter. The best he ever fought was a draw, including against Boll.

As for Tootoo, I'm glad he'll drop the gloves when called upon. I just hope he actually gives the other guy a chance to square up instead of suckering him as he often does.

We finally get a guy who fights, hits like a maniac, will protect Datsyuk and Zetterberg no matter the size of the guy going after them, can skate, pass and shoot, and now here we are. People actually complaining about this player because Babs didn't play him more? Babs has had a barely two weeks to work with Tootoo, and it's the second game of the year. Of course he'll play guys like Miller and Abby more, he trusts those guys because he knows them better. Give him time, if by game 20 your still hating on Tootoo or questioning what he brings to the team... well I'm not sure what i'll tell ya, because I'll all but guarantee he'll be a fan favorite soon enough.

I think what part of it might be is that when we say we want a pest, or a fighter, we want the best pest or the best fighter in the league. As much as we'll avoid it or deny it, we're spoiled and we're used to having the best defenseman, the best coaches, some of the best forwards, the best defensive forwards, the best team, etc. So when we want something we want the elite cream of the crop even if we don't say it. Tootoo is a fighter. An agitator. A pest. But he's not the toy we wanted. We want a gigantic meat fisted cage fighter, play skilled be damned, let's go get John Scott!

tootoo didnt play much less than eaves or miller. the only reason eaves and miller had extra time was on the PK

i say 60% of the game was on the PK or PP. So babs couldnt really roll 4 lines.

just think of a playoff game of abs helm and tootoo on the same line. thats a ******* forechecking line

:lol:

I know. It makes me sad for these younger folk who have never seen what an actual decent fighter on the Wings looks llike. Instead they have to settle for years of guys like Lillypads, or fighters at the twilight of their career like May and Downey. Or worse, no fighters at all. While I'm glad Bert fought Weber, it's sad that a 37 year old who hardly drops the gloves had to make Weber answer the bell.

Though with GMR it seems like a running joke about Lilja. I give Lilja a lot of credit for basically learning to fight at the NHL level, but he was a pretty terrible fighter. The best he ever fought was a draw, including against Boll.

As for Tootoo, I'm glad he'll drop the gloves when called upon. I just hope he actually gives the other guy a chance to square up instead of suckering him as he often does.

I suppose Souray slipped in this fight. Are you his agent by any chance?

Edited by GMRwings1983

I suppose Souray slipped in this fight. Are you his agent by any chance?

I can only assume this is your Andy Kaufman-like commitment to pretending Lilja is a good fighter, because yes it was basically a lot of swing and misses and falling down.

I do admire your dedication to this bit though.

I can only assume this is your Andy Kaufman-like commitment to pretending Lilja is a good fighter, because yes it was basically a lot of swing and misses and falling down.

I do admire your dedication to this bit though.

Souray fell down after Lilja cracked through his helmet. The video doesn't lie.

One punch TKO.

Guest Playmaker

I don't think the Wings have enough depth to be able to afford having a one dimensional player who can only play in limited situations.

Edited by Playmaker