Photo
- - - - -

Jordin Tootoo: Usage? (6:57 TOI vs. Columbus)

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

We finally get a guy who fights, hits like a maniac, will protect Datsyuk and Zetterberg no matter the size of the guy going after them, can skate, pass and shoot, and now here we are. People actually complaining about this player because Babs didn't play him more? Babs has had a barely two weeks to work with Tootoo, and it's the second game of the year. Of course he'll play guys like Miller and Abby more, he trusts those guys because he knows them better. Give him time, if by game 20 your still hating on Tootoo or questioning what he brings to the team... well I'm not sure what i'll tell ya, because I'll all but guarantee he'll be a fan favorite soon enough.

#NOMOREKINDL

#42 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Lilja was a fighter? Say what?
:lol:

I know. It makes me sad for these younger folk who have never seen what an actual decent fighter on the Wings looks llike. Instead they have to settle for years of guys like Lillypads, or fighters at the twilight of their career like May and Downey. Or worse, no fighters at all. While I'm glad Bert fought Weber, it's sad that a 37 year old who hardly drops the gloves had to make Weber answer the bell.

Though with GMR it seems like a running joke about Lilja. I give Lilja a lot of credit for basically learning to fight at the NHL level, but he was a pretty terrible fighter. The best he ever fought was a draw, including against Boll.

As for Tootoo, I'm glad he'll drop the gloves when called upon. I just hope he actually gives the other guy a chance to square up instead of suckering him as he often does.

#43 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

We finally get a guy who fights, hits like a maniac, will protect Datsyuk and Zetterberg no matter the size of the guy going after them, can skate, pass and shoot, and now here we are. People actually complaining about this player because Babs didn't play him more? Babs has had a barely two weeks to work with Tootoo, and it's the second game of the year. Of course he'll play guys like Miller and Abby more, he trusts those guys because he knows them better. Give him time, if by game 20 your still hating on Tootoo or questioning what he brings to the team... well I'm not sure what i'll tell ya, because I'll all but guarantee he'll be a fan favorite soon enough.

I think what part of it might be is that when we say we want a pest, or a fighter, we want the best pest or the best fighter in the league. As much as we'll avoid it or deny it, we're spoiled and we're used to having the best defenseman, the best coaches, some of the best forwards, the best defensive forwards, the best team, etc. So when we want something we want the elite cream of the crop even if we don't say it. Tootoo is a fighter. An agitator. A pest. But he's not the toy we wanted. We want a gigantic meat fisted cage fighter, play skilled be damned, let's go get John Scott!

#44 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

tootoo didnt play much less than eaves or miller. the only reason eaves and miller had extra time was on the PK

i say 60% of the game was on the PK or PP. So babs couldnt really roll 4 lines.

just think of a playoff game of abs helm and tootoo on the same line. thats af****** forechecking line

#45 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

:lol:

I know. It makes me sad for these younger folk who have never seen what an actual decent fighter on the Wings looks llike. Instead they have to settle for years of guys like Lillypads, or fighters at the twilight of their career like May and Downey. Or worse, no fighters at all. While I'm glad Bert fought Weber, it's sad that a 37 year old who hardly drops the gloves had to make Weber answer the bell.

Though with GMR it seems like a running joke about Lilja. I give Lilja a lot of credit for basically learning to fight at the NHL level, but he was a pretty terrible fighter. The best he ever fought was a draw, including against Boll.

As for Tootoo, I'm glad he'll drop the gloves when called upon. I just hope he actually gives the other guy a chance to square up instead of suckering him as he often does.

I suppose Souray slipped in this fight.  Are you his agent by any chance?

Edited by GMRwings1983, 22 January 2013 - 06:36 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#46 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

I suppose Souray slipped in this fight.  Are you his agent by any chance?

I can only assume this is your Andy Kaufman-like commitment to pretending Lilja is a good fighter, because yes it was basically a lot of swing and misses and falling down.

I do admire your dedication to this bit though.

#47 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

I can only assume this is your Andy Kaufman-like commitment to pretending Lilja is a good fighter, because yes it was basically a lot of swing and misses and falling down.

I do admire your dedication to this bit though.

Souray fell down after Lilja cracked through his helmet.  The video doesn't lie.  

One punch TKO.  

#48 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

I don't think the Wings have enough depth to be able to afford having a one dimensional player who can only play in limited situations. 

Edited by Playmaker, 22 January 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#49 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Tootoo with the MASSIVE hit tonight, just get used to him.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#50 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I don't think the Wings have enough depth to be able to afford having a one dimensional player who can only play in limited situations. 

You mean a 4th liner?

I agree.  We should only play with 9 forwards in every game.  

#51 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Ken and Mickey mentioned during the 1st period of tonight's game that Babs wanted to play Tootoo more than he did, but penalties altered the plan.  So there ya go.

#52 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,059 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

Ken and Mickey mentioned during the 1st period of tonight's game that Babs wanted to play Tootoo more than he did, but penalties altered the plan.  So there ya go.

We must find this "penalties" character and kill him.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#53 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Playmaker" data-cid="2344879" data-time="1358903457"><p>
I don't think the Wings have enough depth to be able to afford having a one dimensional player who can only play in limited situations. </p></blockquote>
You must not be watching the games. Tootoo is far from one dimensional.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#54 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

When Helm comes back, put him and Tootoo together. Would be an absolute wrecking ball of a checking line. 

bringit.jpg

#55 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

When Helm comes back, put him and Tootoo together. Would be an absolute wrecking ball of a checking line. 

Yes, I think so too. I think Tootoo can handle more ice time and Miller should get demoted to the fourth line. He adds absolutely nothing anyway, so I'm not sure why he is on the third line to begin with. He was in on both of Ryder's goals last night also.  

"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate