• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

Red Wings sign D Kent Huskins to 1-year, $750k contract

Rate this topic

Ericsson is not very effective yet. And I'd argue they would be in a worse situation because you would be stuck with mediocre defenseman for 5-8 more years. If Enstrom hit the open market, and Holland didn't go after him I'd hold him accountable. But the players you mentioned would not make us a better team in the long term, although that is just my opinion of course.

Our penalty kill percentage plummeted after Ericsson was hurt last year. Bobcock himself discussed how valuable Ericsson was in that regard. Also, every contract I would have signed would have expired no later than five years from now, I have no idea where you're getting 8 years from. Allen's contract will expire when he's 35, Wiz's when he's 33, and Carle's at 33. We'd have had them all during their primes, we wouldn't have been paying any of them when they were old and ineffective, and at least two of the three have a ton of potential trade value considering they can score.

I know all about the new CBA, thanks. All of the players you named could either be traded or would be taken on waivers before we tried to buy them out. Which just makes it a stupid argument is all.

If they're claimed off waivers they wouldn't count against our cap, so the money's clear either way. And the buyouts apply to contracts signed before the new CBA as Wade Redden found out.

Yea, umm he'd have to sign these guys during the old CBA.

Wade Redden was signed under the old CBA and bought out under the new one. Cleary, Bert, or Ericsson could be too. Next.

The lineup I posted above was easily possible, and money could still easily be cleared in the future to resign Flip, Howard, and Brunner while still staying under the 64.5 cap for next year. Naysay all you guys want, but it's true.

Edited by kipwinger

No one can relly answer that except Wisniewski. Maybe he's buddies with someone on the team and wanted to play with them. Who knows?

You can't just buy people out to make room for huge contracts. This isn't NHL13.

actually you can... each team can buy out 2 players before the start of 2013/2014 season

Cleary is a UFA at years end..... Bertuzzi doesn't even take up that much cap space, and Ericsson is a top 4 dman on every team in this league. Again, bad argument.

Ok, let Cleary's contract expire and buyout Bert. Give that money (almost 6 million) to Flip, Howard, and Brunner (if he deserves it) for raises. Re-sign Ericsson if you want, or don't, who cares, you're still under the cap, with everyone re-signed.

I know, BUT you still have to waive them before you buy them out.

Who cares? If they are claimed off waivers they don't count against your team's cap and the money can be spent to re-sign Flip, Howard, and Brunner!

Edited by kipwinger

He didn't have to sign with Columbus. He would've become a free agent if he hadn't have signed and I'm sure he and his agent knew that.

No one has mentioned that he is a turd. he publically dissed detroit so why would we want him? He gets suspended over the blow job gesture to Sean Avery. Then he elbows Clutterbuck after the game is OVER and gets 8 games. Another 8 games for a head hunting job on Seabrrok....and yet another for one against Doan. heacts like a 10 year old at best.

As for his numbers, the last 3 years, he is a minus player and has had only one season that was offensively solid. I would rather MANY, MANY defenseman over this childish little weasel.

No one has mentioned that he is a turd. he publically dissed detroit so why would we want him? He gets suspended over the blow job gesture to Sean Avery. Then he elbows Clutterbuck after the game is OVER and gets 8 games. Another 8 games for a head hunting job on Seabrrok....and yet another for one against Doan. heacts like a 10 year old at best.

As for his numbers, the last 3 years, he is a minus player and has had only one season that was offensively solid. I would rather MANY, MANY defenseman over this childish little weasel.

Like Ian White, Colaiacovo, or Quincey? Because that's exactly who you did get.

Also, since when is being overly aggressive a bad thing. Everybody hated Tootoo until yesterday. Personally, I think some roughneck m*****f***** is exactly what we need. How many times do we have to say, "we need someone to stand up for our stars"? Wizniewski does, which I can't say for any member of our current defense.

Edited by kipwinger

Wiz (from Michigan) didn't sign with Detroit cuz Holland low balled him. Doesn't anyone remember the "fair market value" quote? He signed with Columbus for more money period. Kenny's too cheap.

esteef

5.5mil for 5 years is not what I would of wanted to pay for him. So im glad Holland "low balled" him.

Like Ian White, Colaiacovo, or Quincey? Because that's exactly who you did get.

Also, since when is being overly aggressive a bad thing. Everybody hated Tootoo until yesterday. Personally, I think some roughneck m*****f***** is exactly what we need. How many times do we have to say, "we need someone to stand up for our stars"? Wizniewski does, which I can't say for any member of our current defense.

Have you stopped and compared Colaiacovo and Quincey's numbers to Wiz?? Pretty much the same. White is the only one that has a bit of the suck factor. One day we need Numbers...the next day we need a roughneck as you put it.....

God forbid we overpay a good player as opposed to overpaying for Ericsson in the same offseason.

hahahaha go on compare a "good" player as you call wiz to our current d men.

Have you stopped and compared Colaiacovo and Quincey's numbers to Wiz?? Pretty much the same. White is the only one that has a bit of the suck factor. One day we need Numbers...the next day we need a roughneck as you put it.....

hahahaha go on compare a "good" player as you call wiz to our current d men.

White has exactly the same number of points (176) in 100 more games than Wiz. Colaiacovo has 68 fewer points in 7 fewer games. YOU might want to compare the numbers hombre. Wiz puts up better numbers, is a PP quarterback (like we couldn't use one of those), plays more minutes per game, AND is a roughneck. That's why he's a "good" player, and they aren't as good.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest The Axe

How anyone still has confidence in Holland is a mystery. Andersson doesnt have the leg up in Europe anymore, and Scotty Bowman is long gone. Holland is now getting exposed for what he is = a guy who got lucky to have Andersson and Bowman calling shots for him.

I mean listen to some of the posts on here. "I like this signing.". What?

How anyone still has confidence in Holland is a mystery. Andersson doesnt have the leg up in Europe anymore, and Scotty Bowman is long gone. Holland is now getting exposed for what he is = a guy who got lucky to have Andersson and Bowman calling shots for him.

I mean listen to some of the posts on here. "I like this signing.". What?

Yea, why have confidence in Holland? All the playoff appearances, the Stanley Cups as recent as 2008 and the finals in 2009. I mean, geez, he really has lost it. I give up. You win.

He didn't refuse to sign with Detroit, his rights were traded to Columbus and he signed with them before free agency started. Might want to be accurate the next time.

Accurate? Yeah, you're spot on! Let's just say he was never really interested, because well, he knew someone would overpay and that someone wasn't Kenny H.

Speaking of money, Canton's James Wisniewski signed a six-year deal with Columbus valued at $5.5 million a season. The Red Wings were interested, but not at that price or that term.

"For me, knowing Detroit's history they don't really pay the market value for a defenseman or any player,'' Wisniewski said on NHL Live. "So I didn't think that was going to be a fit for myself.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/07/red_wings_dont_get_into_biddin.html

Yea, why have confidence in Holland? All the playoff appearances, the Stanley Cups as recent as 2008 and the finals in 2009. I mean, geez, he really has lost it. I give up. You win.

I agree, people keep coming up with this lame argument that he inherited the team from Bowman..well no s*** he did..everyone inherits a team from someone. Kenny was lucky as hell to get his from Bowman. Its the same lame argument people used to make about Ozzie, " he's just a product of his team, he's not that good". Well what did you expect Ozzie to do back then , " Mr Holland, I don't wish to play for this team you've put in front of me, they are too good and I don't want people to think I'm maybe better then what I am". He still had to stop enough pucks to win everynight and he did a good job of that. Does Kenny have flaws..of course he did but he's done a pretty good job of carrying on the legacy of this franchise. Sometimes I wish he had a little itchier trigger finger but on the other hand he's kept this team competitive pre cap and post cap and as fans what more can we ask for?