• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

Red Wings sign D Kent Huskins to 1-year, $750k contract

Rate this topic

He can't just create defenseman out of thin air.

No one is asking this of him.

Holland is a genius. He figures these things out. That's what he does. (Unless it all was, in fact, Bowman et al.) Lately, he's not figuring them out. Lately, he's just acting like a blockhead. (I realize how juvenile and uninformed that sounds. But it's true. Just look at our blue line - injuries and all.) I think he quite likes the "Parity!" card. It's like a get-out-of-jail dealy. If I were him, I'd probably just want to make my millions and do as little real solid progressive, constructive, shrewd, intelligent work as possible.

OK, I'm being too hard on him, because I'm tired and in pain. But hopefully someone who doesn't already catchy my drift is catching my drift. Which is, The guy is gold. Probably a bona fide genius. So why is he pretending to suck so very much?

Forwards

Johan Franzen$3,954,545

Pavel Datsyuk$6,700,000

Damien Brunner $1,300,000

Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000

Henrik Zetterberg$6,083,333

Gustav Nyquist $875,000

Danny Cleary $2,800,000

Darren Helm$2,125,000

Todd Bertuzzi$2,075,000

Drew Miller $875,000

Justin Abdelkader$1,800,000

Jordin Tootoo$1,900,000

Patrick Eaves$1,200,000

Defensemen

Niklas Kronwall$4,750,000

James Wisniewski$5,500,000

Matt Carle$5,500,000

Bryan Allen$3,500,000

Brendan Smith $875,000

Jonathan Ericsson$3,250,000

Goaltenders

Jonas Gustavsson$1,500,000

Jimmy Howard

Total payroll: 61.8 million. More than enough to give guys raises next season. And if you need to clear a little more money, buy out Bert, Cleary, or Ericsson and replace them with Sheahan, Andersson, or Lashoff.

if Brunner keeps the pace, we wont be able to afford him next year, yeah!

You're falling into the same trap as every other Holland critic in equating the moves Holland did make to "nothing" because they weren't good enough to suit you. But that's really beside the point. Despite General Hawk's claims to the contrary, knowing isn't actually half the battle. It's still not easy to make those transitions.

If it was, you should have no trouble rattling off that list of GMs who have done it.

You say you don't expect it to go off without a hitch, but it seems like that's exactly what you expect. Like you expect to make that kind of transition without any risk of missing the playoffs. That's unreasonable, and ironically you only have that expectation because of how well the team has been managed under Holland's tenure.

The only trap is the "name me this" homework that people try to assign thoe who disagree with them, likely because it's easier to criticize someone else's point than make their own.

Maybe spend less time telling me what I expect and more time making an actual point regarding Holland and the state of the current Red Wings defense.

Kronwall is basically our number on guy, which is a role he's never fulfilled. Then look down the blueline. It's a bunch of spare parts. White is a good d-man, though it'll be interesting to see how he plays without Lids. Plus he's a UFA at the end of this season and currently makes less then Kronwall, Quincey and Ericsson.

If this collection of players were on another team, I don't think people would really be complimenting the GM on a job well done. Just because Holland wasn't willing to give up enough for a trade or signing doesn't mean they couldn't ever have happened.

I think this blueline will look much different next year. If Colaiacovo can't stay healthy, he's gonna have to go. Quincey needs to significantly step it up or I'll be on board with the "Amnesty Quincey" crowd. We're only a couple games into the season, but I'm not impressed with several players on this team.

To be honest, I'd like to see White back next year.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

I think this blueline will look much different next year. If Colaiacovo can't stay healthy, he's gonna have to go. Quincey needs to significantly step it up or I'll be on board with the "Amnesty Quincey" crowd. We're only a couple games into the season, but I'm not impressed with several players on this team.

To be honest, I'd like to see White back next year.

Don't get me wrong, I would too. But depending on what happens this year he may head to greener pastures or will at least want a hefty raise given his responsibilities compared to the guys making more than him.

Don't get me wrong, I would too. But depending on what happens this year he may head to greener pastures or will at least want a hefty raise given his responsibilities compared to the guys making more than him.

Nah dood, he'll take less to stay here cuz Detroit is so so awesome and classy.

esteef

I mean, if we were to let White walk (Or if he chooses to walk) where do we go from there? MAJOR rebuilding will need to be done on the blueline. I'm not talking about signing some depth defenseman and heading to the golf course for the summer. If White is not re-signed, we're left with:

Niklas Kronwall

Jonathan Ericsson

Kyle Quincey

Brendan Smith

Carlo Colaiacovo

Jakub Kindl

We need, regardless of whether White is brought back or not, a legitimate top-pairing defenseman (Tobias Enstrom comes to mind). We need a shut-down defenseman that is adept at killing penalties and adding some snarl to our blueline. I know Ken was desparate at the time, so I don't blame him for the signing, but I'm afraid the Colaiacovo deal is gonna be a trainwreck. I like him, but he's just never healthy. Serious changes need to be made over the summer.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Huskins did a good job, but Howard really kept us in the game.Too bad, the Red Wings didn't get much offense going until the third period. Babcock must split Zetterberg and Datsyuk because it is obvious that Filppula/Franzen is not much of a threat together. It looked much better when Franzen was paired with Zetterberg/Brunner and Datsyuk was put with Filppula. When Helm gets back I would like to see him with Tootoo and Cleary on the third line. I think the offense must improve to lessen the pressure on our defense. On a good note, not that many penalties yesterday. White must definitely be brought back next year or else there will be trouble.

Nah dood, he'll take less to stay here cuz Detroit is so so awesome and classy.

esteef

He took significantly less to come here the first time. Coming off a 36 point season and only taking 2.8.

But back to the thread, Huskins played well enough last night. He was slow, but we knew that coming in. A few miscommunications, but that will happen when you haven't even practiced with the team. Decision making was simple and quick, he can make the passes necessary. And his positioning was solid, and he was willing to block some shots.

Huskins played very well last night. For a guy sign for a team and be in the lineup 8 hours later he went beyond my expectations. Other than the last 8 minutes of the game Dallas was the better team and deserved the win. Nyquist wasnt very good. Despite the lack of offence I am real impressed with Brunner. The puck just seems to find him in scoring chances. Hes got to start putting them in but I think that will come. Id rather have a player getting chances but not converting over a player whos just not getting chances *ahem* Franzen. How many times the last two years have we heard Mick say "If only Franzen could get going he could be a real difference in this game"? Howard continues to be the Wings best player and he was the one I was worried most about coming out of the lockout since he hadnt seen game action in a long time. Wings need to get things turned around or this hole might get to big by mid feb.

Edited by GoalieManPat

He took significantly less to come here the first time. Coming off a 36 point season and only taking 2.8.

But back to the thread, Huskins played well enough last night. He was slow, but we knew that coming in. A few miscommunications, but that will happen when you haven't even practiced with the team. Decision making was simple and quick, he can make the passes necessary. And his positioning was solid, and he was willing to block some shots.

Gee, I wonder if the opportunity to play with the greatest d-man of all time had anything to do with that?

And I agree I liked what I saw out of Huskins.

esteef

Gee, I wonder if the opportunity to play with the greatest d-man of all time had anything to do with that?

And I agree I liked what I saw out of Huskins.

esteef

Ian White could have gotten more but wanted to come to a winner. Playing with Lids, Z, and Dats was probably also important. He wants to win a cup, so he is willing to take less.

"Every other Holland critic"? Really, Buppy? I expect better from you.

Look, we're all making this way more complicated than it needs to be, than it is.

I'll say it again: you lose Rafalski, Stuart, Lidstrom, you, at the very least, bring in a heavy. No way should Kronwall - Ericsson/Quincey/White/Smith/Huskins/Lashoff be our first pairing. Common sense, really. Why is it so hard to swallow/understand?

So many of us treat Holland as if he's utterly infallible, incapable of being in the wrong. "He mades a mistake? He dropped the ball? No, you're just a Holland critic. You're just spoiled." It's just as silly as The Holland Bashing.

Ken Holland is the best GM in the league. But the way he's handled our D corps (and, arguably, the team at large) lately borders, I think, on braindead. It's almost as if he really does want that first overall pick. I have no other explanation for the sheer lack of those trademark Ken Holland Smarts (see, e.g., "Lets save money and sit on it, and then do it again next season, and then do it again! OH NO, NOW WE'RE IN TROUBLE! SALO! CARLE! SUTER! HEY, Y'KNOW WHAT'S GREAT? BUILDING FROM WITHIN!)

It's weird. Really, really weird. (To which someone will say, "No, it's called parity/not having Nick Lidstrom/transition etc., and I need to adjust my expectations and reconcile them with Reality." To which I preemptively say: I know you, are but what am I?)

Yeah, I guess I forgot about that kid sitting outside the Joe with a box full of "heavies" and a sign saying, "Free to good home".

I'm not saying he's infallible. I'm not even saying he hasn't made mistakes. I'm saying you can't expect him to be perfect and solve every problem. No doubt you'll say you don't expect that, but in practical terms that's what all the bashing amounts to. Like it's OK for Kenny to make mistakes, so long as they don't have any negative impact on the team.

You say he's made mistakes. I say, so what, everyone does. Get over it.

The only trap is the "name me this" homework that people try to assign thoe who disagree with them, likely because it's easier to criticize someone else's point than make their own.

Maybe spend less time telling me what I expect and more time making an actual point regarding Holland and the state of the current Red Wings defense.

Kronwall is basically our number on guy, which is a role he's never fulfilled. Then look down the blueline. It's a bunch of spare parts. White is a good d-man, though it'll be interesting to see how he plays without Lids. Plus he's a UFA at the end of this season and currently makes less then Kronwall, Quincey and Ericsson.

If this collection of players were on another team, I don't think people would really be complimenting the GM on a job well done. Just because Holland wasn't willing to give up enough for a trade or signing doesn't mean they couldn't ever have happened.

Again, I never said there was nothing that could have been done. Just that it isn't rational to expect someone to make all the right moves all the time. So he missed out on a few opportunities, and now the team is worse than it might otherwise have been. Do we really need to spend the better part of a year and a half whining about it every time there's a signing or trade around the league, or injury, or someone has a bad game, or someone we didn't get has a good game...

^ Kenny's missed more than a "few" opportunities for couple of years now. And do "we" really need to spend the better part of a year and a half constantly defending even the slightest criticism of Holland? Maybe it's you who should "get over it".

esteef

Edited by esteef

Yeah, I guess I forgot about that kid sitting outside the Joe with a box full of "heavies" and a sign saying, "Free to good home".

I'm not saying he's infallible. I'm not even saying he hasn't made mistakes. I'm saying you can't expect him to be perfect and solve every problem. No doubt you'll say you don't expect that, but in practical terms that's what all the bashing amounts to. Like it's OK for Kenny to make mistakes, so long as they don't have any negative impact on the team.

Again, I never said there was nothing that could have been done. Just that it isn't rational to expect someone to make all the right moves all the time. So he missed out on a few opportunities, and now the team is worse than it might otherwise have been. Do we really need to spend the better part of a year and a half whining about it every time there's a signing or trade around the league, or injury, or someone has a bad game, or someone we didn't get has a good game...

For the first time in LGW history, I am agreeing with Buppy.

Carry on!

You guys forget that if we keep playing this horrid throughout the next 45 games, our defense pairings could look like this next year:

Kronwall - Ericsson

White- Jones

Smith - Carlo/Quincey

If we're only supposed to say positive things about the Wings then it's not really a discussion forum, it's more of a cheerleading club. And frankly I'm not interested in that. I like talking hockey and of course a part of that is going to be speculation. So if reading posts where people complain about this or that with the Wings upsets you, then I'm afraid you're going to be upset a lot of the time you're here.

No one needs to get over it to satisfy you. We're the ones talking hockey, even if it seems like whining to you. You're the one trying to quell discussion on a discussion forum and steer it to content you approve of.

Not to mention we're 3 games into the season. This is the first time in 20 years the Wings haven't had Lidstrom in the lineup, so now seems like a completely appropriate time to talk about the moves management did or didn't make to prepare for this day because we're finally getting to see them actually play games.

I certainly don't expect Holland to be perfect either, but two of the biggest challenges and priorities of his career as GM are/should have been transitioning to the cap world and preparing for the day the Wings blueline no longer has a 7 time Norris winner playing 25 minutes a night.

Edited by haroldsnepsts
I forgot a game

If we're only supposed to say positive things about the Wings then it's not really a discussion forum, it's more of a cheerleading club. And frankly I'm not interested in that. I like talking hockey and of course a part of that is going to be speculation. So if reading posts where people complain about this or that with the Wings upsets you, then I'm afraid you're going to be upset a lot of the time you're here.

No one needs to get over it to satisfy you. We're the ones talking hockey, even if it seems like whining to you. You're the one trying to quell discussion on a discussion forum and steer it to content you approve of.

Not to mention we're 2 games into the season. This is the first time in 20 years the Wings haven't had Lidstrom in the lineup, so now seems like a completely appropriate time to talk about the moves management did or didn't make to prepare for this day because we're finally getting to see them actually play games.

I certainly don't expect Holland to be perfect either, but two of the biggest challenges and priorities of his career as GM are/should have been transitioning to the cap world and preparing for the day the Wings blueline no longer has a 7 time Norris winner playing 25 minutes a night.

3 games into the season*

Guest The Axe

:lol:

I didn't get to see any of the game against Dallas so I guess in my head it didn't count.

Redo!