• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#61 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

It's amazing how cynical some people are even admitting that they know nothing about him. I drafted lots of Ducks and Sharks in fantasy hockey over the years and got to watch a good chunk of his games and he's not fast, he's not super offensively skilled but he's very solid in his own end and won't make a ton of mistakes. And for a bottom pairing guy that's what we should be looking for right now. We've got enough offensive defensemen and you don't need more of them on the third pairing. Third pairing should just be able to go out for 15 minutes a night, stay at home and not make any mistakes. He's not lazy, either. He's pretty intense and works very hard.

But he's big and that means he has to hit for us or we hate him.

Really?  

Kronwall is the only established one we have right now.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#62 NyquistianDeke

NyquistianDeke

Rookie

• Pip
  • 116 posts

I like the signing.  Is it a big splash? No, but he is the kind of defenseman we need.. a stay at home, good in his own zone defenseman

My hope is that that the pairings get shuffled

Kronner-Lashoff

Smith- Huskins

Quincy- White

#63 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

It's amazing how cynical some people are even admitting that they know nothing about him. I drafted lots of Ducks and Sharks in fantasy hockey over the years and got to watch a good chunk of his games and he's not fast, he's not super offensively skilled but he's very solid in his own end and won't make a ton of mistakes. And for a bottom pairing guy that's what we should be looking for right now. We've got enough offensive defensemen and you don't need more of them on the third pairing. Third pairing should just be able to go out for 15 minutes a night, stay at home and not make any mistakes. He's not lazy, either. He's pretty intense and works very hard.

Not necessarily, but given that there isn't a single member of our current defense who is big AND hits, it might be nice to have.  For instance, on the PK when clearing the front of the crease, or against power forwards who are quite common in our division.  And it's not like we haven't had trouble in those areas so far this season, or last, or the year before that.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#64 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Really?  

Kronwall is the only established one we have right now.  

I'd have to disagree with you there. Kronner offensive, Quincey offensive, Smith sure as hell offensive, White is alittle 2-way, Ericsson is prone to being more offensive but has regressed to defense more the past few seasons. I'd tend to think the majority of our defensemen are offensively minded with the lack of stay-at-home, defensive defensemen. Stuart was our main stay-at-home guy, and we lost him. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#65 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Yeah because Holland knew we would have these injuries.

I know right.  I would have taken Nostradamus like foresight to see that in a lockout shortened season, with essentially no training camp, that injuries were going to be quite common in the first part of the season.  It would have taken an all knowing God to have foreseen the glut of groin pulls and hamstring injuries that would result.  And even that God wouldn't have seen that injuries are likely to occur when you are playing in an intense shortened season, where guys like David Backes habitually run over people every shift, and our defense corps is full of guys like Jakub Kindl, Carlo Colaiacovo, Ian White, and Kyle Quincey. 

Who could have known that a bunch of softies would likely succumb to injury, after being repeatedly hammered by freight trains?

Edited by kipwinger, 22 January 2013 - 12:54 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#66 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

- We have terrible luck with injuries.

- We went into this season minus Nick Lidstrom and Brad Stuart (not to mention the also-recently-departed Brian Rafalski).

- GMs are supposed to be smart, intelligent. Part of that is being reasonable, rational, logical, objective. Part of that is having foresight. A lot of people here seem to want it both ways, such that Holland is incredible, knows everything, is always in the right - and yet, "Aw, man, how could he know we'd need extra help on the blue line? No one could've predicted we'd be in this hole!"

Please, don't give me this "don't criticize the GM" rubbish.

Please don't give me 

*wah our gm sucks" crap either when he has no control over injuries or how someone who has played great in GR but just cant get it going in the NHL.

Let me guess Holland should of done more to land suter right? 

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#67 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

I like this signing for the money. he is very dependable and is a physical guy. Our D is getting killed and I thin he is a veteran guy who can calm the waters back there. For under a million, this was a good choice given we need someone RIGHT NOW. I hope Kenny is looking for a Top D man, but until that gets done, I am happy to embrace a defensively responsible player wearing the winged wheel. We need some stability....so welcome to Motown Huskins!

Edited by Motown4013, 22 January 2013 - 12:54 PM.

Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#68 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

HE has won a cup, has experience, put up good points a few years ago, can fight, had an injury-plagued season last year. I don't think it is awful for the price.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#69 mmorland

mmorland

SRD Writer, Broadcaster

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

This signing really makes me re-evaluate passing on Wade Redden. I still think Redden had more upside after playing two years in the AHL than taking a journeyman like Huskins.

I can't be alone on this...

"I can't believe I shook this guys frickin' hand. We lost and I'm pissed off. But to see Kris Draper's face makes me sick. I didn't see his face until after the game, but his face is turned sideways. If the league doesn't do something about that ... I mean that's ridiculous. He could have broken his fricken neck."

-Dino Ciccarelli

#70 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Please don't give me 

*wah our gm sucks" crap either when he has no control over injuries or how someone who has played great in GR but just cant get it going in the NHL.

No, he should have done more to land Bryan Allen.

Edited by kipwinger, 22 January 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#71 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'd have to disagree with you there. Kronner offensive, Quincey offensive, Smith sure as hell offensive, White is alittle 2-way, Ericsson is prone to being more offensive but has regressed to defense more the past few seasons. I'd tend to think the majority of our defensemen are offensively minded with the lack of stay-at-home, defensive defensemen. Stuart was our main stay-at-home guy, and we lost him. 

Offensive minded is different than offensively effective.  It's a matter of semantics, probably.

I guess White can be a decent offensive defenseman, but a lot of that was thanks to Lidstrom last season.    

Smith still has to prove himself and Quincey has been a disaster.  Ericsson doesn't have an accurate enough shot from the point, which is why he never plays on the PP.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#72 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I know right.  I would have taken Nostradamus like foresight to see that in a lockout shortened season, with essentially no training camp, that injuries were going to be quite common in the first part of the season.  It would have taken an all knowing God to have foreseen the glut of groin pulls and hamstring injuries that would result.  And even that God wouldn't have seen that injuries are likely to occur when you are playing in an intense shortened season, where guys like David Backes habitually run over people every shift, and our defense corps is full of guys like Jakub Kindl, Carlo Colaiacovo, Ian White, and Kyle Quincey. 

Who could have known that a bunch of softies, would likely succumb to injury, after being repeatedly hammered by freight trains?

hahahahahaha wow. hahahahah what would you of done....we should of done more to get suter right? hahahahaha wow. You guys kill me. so funny.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#73 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

SO WAIT.... NOT LIDSTROM

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#74 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

See post #70 where I tell you exactly what I would have done.  Or you could dig back through old threads where I repeatedly argued for signing Matt Carle AND Bryan Allen for less than we eventually DID OFFER for Suter.  Or even older threads were I repeatedly argued for signing James Wisniewski.  Holy s***, there's three top four defensemen I wanted who aren't named Ryan Suter and who are all currently playing top minutes for their respective teams. 

hahahahahaha wow. hahahahah what would you of done....we should of done more to get suter right? hahahahaha wow. You guys kill me. so funny.

Edited by kipwinger, 22 January 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#75 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Offensive minded is different than offensively effective.  It's a matter of semantics, probably.

I guess White can be a decent offensive defenseman, but a lot of that was thanks to Lidstrom last season.    

Smith still has to prove himself and Quincey has been a disaster.  Ericsson doesn't have an accurate enough shot from the point, which is why he never plays on the PP.  

In terms like that, there isn't that many offensive effective defense men out there. And when there do exist, they come at high value because they don't exist at a high rate. Basically, you are going to have to rely on those offensively minded defensemen, and count them as your "offensive defensemen." :P

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#76 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Please don't give me 

You're being childish. I clearly stated that I'm not complaining about this signing - rather, I'm confused (and, yes, concerned) re: Holland's Plan re: our blue line (if he has one). You got a whiff of negativity, I guess, and some alarms went off in you brain and your knee jerked. Granted, my knee jerks a lot, and I have definitely been known to get on Holland's case. But in this case, I don't see how I'm in the wrong.

Our blue line was super-thin heading into this season. Add to that the fact that we have, as I said, terrible luck with injuries. Compound that with the fact that Nick's retirement clearly caught Holland with his pants down, so to speak. Taken together, this all worries me.

As I've said numerous times, my beef with the Suter thing is not so much that we lost him - but, rather, that we were so hard after him in the first place. It should never have gotten to that point. Ken Holland - The Man Who Can Do No Wrong - had no plan in place re: Nick's looming retirement, beyond thinking, "Ah, we'll just throw a bunch of money around and someone will sign here, because this is the Detroit Red Wings. And even if we do strike out, well, then I'll just talk up the importance of building from within and drafting well and cultivating prospects."

Also, Carlo Colaiacovo is the most injury-prone player in NHL history.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#77 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

I'm sorry that I don't agree with you yet again. But I would never resort to petty name calling. I will bow out of this one. Thanks.

I think it's a ok depth signing for some size and a decent defensive D-man. We haven't even seen him play yet on OUR team. Who knows.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 22 January 2013 - 01:08 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#78 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

I haven't called you anything. I said you're being childish. Didn't mean to offend.

We can continue via private messages, if you'd like.

(Sorry, mods.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#79 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

I love how everyone thinks Holland was supposed to have some sort of back up plan in place for Lidstrom's retirement. You can't exactly just stockpile NHL worthy Dmen in the AHL....

#80 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

I love how everyone thinks Holland was supposed to have some sort of back up plan in place for Lidstrom's retirement. You can't exactly just stockpile NHL worthy Dmen in the AHL....

Nobody said anything about that.  You can't replace Lidstrom, and you certainly can't stock pile people in the AHL.  But the off season after Rafalski retired you could have signed Wisniewski for the price of his current contract and still saved money (as Rafalski made more).  Or, you could have signed Allen AND Carle this offseason for the same amount as you were willing (and did) offer Suter.  No need to stockpile anyone.  They would have walked straight on to our team, and straight into our top four, no AHL stockpiling necessary.

Edited by kipwinger, 22 January 2013 - 01:16 PM.