• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilzyme

KHL develops new system for deciding draft picks

Rate this topic

PuckDaddy just released this article; http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/khl-invents-playoff-losers-bracket-winner-gets-no-141549610--nhl.html

it goes to explain that the KHL developed a new system, basically the teams that don't make the playoffs, will play a tournament in playoff format. It will be called the "Cup of Hope" inwhich the team to win the tournament, will receive the first round draft pick. Personally, I think it's a fresh idea, and it does help teams that need it. Unfortunately, there is pros and cons of it. I can personally think that it would get rid of the idea of tanking. Teams wouldn't be so worked to finish #30 for that first overall pick. From another stand point, you would allow the better of those teams, to improve even more. In the end, I think it's an awesome idea. In reality, you're giving the #1 overall draft pick to a team that is basically a bubble team. If they win the tournament, they get the draft pick which will most likely send them into the playoffs. I could see teams being stuck in what seems a worm hole though, always not making the playoffs, and losing within the first round in that tournament.

Edited by evilzyme

On paper the biggest con I think would be that the 9th best team in each conference would get the 1 and 2 pick and the worst teams will stay terrible.

But the counter to that would be that you just need to finish fairly high, and make your 3-10th pick worth it. There are plenty of cases where a high 3-15th pick turned out better than a 1 or 2 pick. The odds aren't there but it's not a landslide, it's possible. And it might eliminate the ridiculous artificial parity the league has now, where tanking doesn't just get you the top pick but you're rewarded with a stacked roster for constant poor play. It's causing a predictable merry-go-round where bad teams get good, good teams get bad and everyone gets a turn.

Naturally since the NHL didn't think of it, and the ghetto ass KHL did, they will never adopt this idea. And bad teams becoming good is their short term marketing money maker. It will never happen sadly.

Yeah the problem with that is that it will keep the bad teams down.

I think the current draft format works just fine considering there isn't such a heavy emphasis on top draft picks to determine success like there is in the NFL and NBA, mostly due to the fact that the NHL has a very extensive minor league system in which they can groom players and trade prospects freely.

HAHA. The name of the trophy is pretty bad, but even they admit the whole reason for the tournament is to extend the season. This isn't a bad idea for the NHL....82 games is too much. A shorter season with the current playoff format and a losers' tournament of some kind would be more entertaining. However, nothing innovative will happen with this league as long as Buttman is in charge.

if anything then the current draft format of the NHL is bad and rewards teams for being bad. I mean... come on... this draft systems dooms players to serve their youth with teams like Islanders, Jackets, Maple Laughs or Habs - who dwell at the bottom because of inefficiency of their owners and poor decisions of GMs.

the post-CBA draft system seems a bit more fair, but there's still work to be done with contract structure. as of now those bad franchises can still escape by keeping high talent signed for a couple of years without real success.

truth being said I'm not sure if a Cup of Hope is better solution. it should be more entertaining to the fans, that for sure.

The winning team in that KHL consolation playoff doesn't get the first overall pick. It gets an extra first round pick. So the advantage the winner gets is not all that great. And for the KHL teams that don't make the playoffs the season ends in February. To not be playing hockey in the middle of the winter in Russia is absurd. So in order to extend the season, a consolation tournament with a decent prize fund ($500,000 to the winner and half to the runner-up) and a somewhat meaningful draft pick as a reward seems to be a good idea.