• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
PuckY18

Nino Niederreiter's camp has requested a trade

Rate this topic

"By Katie Strang | ESPNNewYork.com

NEW YORK -- Nino Niederreiter's camp has requested a trade from the New York Islanders, a source told ESPNNewYork.com.

The former first-round pick (fifth overall, 2010) is unhappy with his current situation, the source said, and feels he would be better served playing somewhere else.

The 20-year-old Swiss winger, who spent more than half the season with the big club last season, was not even invited to the team's training camp despite leading the team's AHL affiliate in scoring. Niederreiter has 19 goals and 17 assists in 39 games for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

His agent informed Islanders general manager Garth Snow of the request last week, the source said, although Snow is not believed to be amenable to doing a deal -- at least at the moment.

There has been growing concern about Niederreiter's development since last season. Although the young prospect appeared in 55 games for the Islanders, he was used in a limited role. He managed only one goal, causing many to feel he'd be better off playing with his junior club (since he was 19, he wasn't old enough to be in Bridgeport) and to speculate that the team could be keeping him around for cap purposes (i.e., his entry-level contract bonuses helped the team hover slightly above the cap floor).

During the lockout, Niederreiter began the year in Bridgeport and has flourished, leaving him and his camp baffled as to why he didn't get a chance to crack the Islanders' roster."

Caught my attention since he is a top five pick. But has only one goal in all of his NHL games.

Guest The Axe

If he cant stand being "ripened" in the minors, im sure Detroit is a great destination for him. (Rolls eyes)

we don't need him, and he certainly wouldn't want to come here. he's 20 years old and hasn't done s*** in the NHL. i'm sorry bud, but you don't call the shots. earn your time. he'd never last in a development system like ours, he'd be screaming to leave. "BUT BUT BUT KENNY, I WANT TO PLAY IN THE BIG SHOW!"

I'd check a few Isles blogs or forums before I lay judgment. Katie Strang may only be relaying one end of the story. Neiderreiter for all we know may know something we as outsiders wouldn't, both in the sense that we're not with the team and we're not Isles fans and not likely to know much. How often do you read the words of a non-Wings fan trying to speak about our team and just laugh? Because I do at how much it sounds like a game of telephone that started with us and ended with them.

For all we know he may have no problem sitting in the AHL for a couple more years as long as he's with the right team and you can't say we don't fit that appealing "right team" mold. However I doubt we make a play for him but never say never.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

Little Neddy Nederlander? So I guess that Amigo gig isn't cutting it anymore...

Here is the phone call:

Garth Snow: You want what? You aren't famous enough yet to call your own shots...

Agent: No, he is infamous!

Snow: In-Famous? What are you talking about?

Neddy: You see Garth, I am In-famous its when you're MORE than famous. Yes, I am El Nino, I am not just famous, I am IN-famous! Trade me!

Islanders claim goalie through waivers. Goalie refuses to play.

Islanders trade for defenseman. Defensman refuses to play.

Islanders get a top-five pick. Top-five pick requests to be traded.

dude....stop being so obvious.

there is a extremely well managed syste....ahem, sorry, i cant finish that sentence.

the islanders are comparable to 1990 soviet russia red army team. you dont play for russia, russia plays you.

if i were kenny, i would send an unmarked bus over to the stadium with chelios to do some..."defecting"

nino, streit, visnofsky..you know....parts.

It's about time Garth Snow got out of there. It's obvious either a) He can't lure free agents, and b) he can't keep his own players happy. I don't think it's just a new york islander thing either, that franchise has been successful in the past.

I've always liked Nino's game, just not a real good move for the wings right now. We need the assets for a top 4 defenseman.

dude....stop being so obvious.

there is a extremely well managed syste....ahem, sorry, i cant finish that sentence.

the islanders are comparable to 1990 soviet russia red army team. you dont play for russia, russia plays you.

if i were kenny, i would send an unmarked bus over to the stadium with chelios to do some..."defecting"

nino, streit, visnofsky..you know....parts.

Lol..I was just thinking that if the Isles didn't have those amazing years in the 80's they would be in the top 5 for worst franchises in the history of the earth. Tavares must have an extreme amount of patience.

It's about time Garth Snow got out of there. It's obvious either a) He can't lure free agents, and b) he can't keep his own players happy. I don't think it's just a new york islander thing either, that franchise has been successful in the past.

Truth is, it all went south when their current owner Charles Wang entered the picture.

I feel sorry for guys like Nino, Grabner, Tavares , Okposo talented young guys forced to play for the worst owner in not only the NHL but maybe all of sports. Their scout staff is tiny, bad unexperienced coaches year after aftere after year because they are cheaper and no quality UFAs at all.

Islanders and especially their fans deserve so much more. A few key additions and this roster could really break out, too bad Wang is a joke.

Guest Crymson

Neddy: You see Garth, I am In-famous its when you're MORE than famous. Yes, I am El Nino, I am not just famous, I am IN-famous! Trade me!

I think you mean El Guapo. Would you say that I have a plethora of pinatas?