• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Call up the kids now

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

Screw Huskins, Sammy, Bert. Etc. Get the kids up now and throw em in the fire. Why give all that experience to rentals?

Huskins looked pretty solid last night, Sammy is out right now, and Bert has yet to play a game this season. I agree with keeping Sammy out in favor of Nyquist, and I will wait to see Bert play before I say anything about him, but who should we call up for Huskins? I can't think of anyone in GR who replace him without hurting the team.

Screw Huskins, Sammy, Bert. Etc. Get the kids up now and throw em in the fire. Why give all that experience to rentals?

Your posts continue to provide us with great clarity..considering we are down 4 d men I don't think we have much choice at the back end. Up front I'm not sure what you're implying...whether you like Sammy or not you don't sign a guy and then just say beat it..same with Bert..if you got involved cheering for this team thinking that young guys just get plunked into the lineup you're wrong..we are almost loyal to a fault for over developing guys. Huskins isn't going to be a rental.he was probably our best d man last night..nice to have a stay at home guy back there..Nyquist has done nothing to warrant staying up at least for the time being. 3 games in is not time for the fire sale. Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelaxxxxxx maaaaaaaaaaan

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="GMRwings1983" data-cid="2345415" data-time="1358959562"><p>

Who are these kids?<br />

<br />

Our farm system isn't as good as people here make it out to be. </p></blockquote>

And you know this how? We have prospects all of the world having great success in tournaments and their respective leagues. Tatar, Sheahan, and Anderson all appear ready. But no it is way to early to scrap the season however if things continue the way they are then the OP may get his wish. That will by no means make anything better this season.

Nyquist was pretty ineffective last night... That second line is really weak. Didn't want to split up Z and Dats but I think the lines should be

Brunner-Zetterberg-Franzen

Flippula-Datsyuk-Cleary

I admit that I'm not a huge Cleary fan but he throws everything at the net and looked pretty good last night. The line will be great along the boards and Cleary is a good screener.

The defense just has to shoot!! We need more point shots

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="GMRwings1983" data-cid="2345415" data-time="1358959562"><p>

Who are these kids?<br />

<br />

Our farm system isn't as good as people here make it out to be. </p></blockquote>

And you know this how? We have prospects all of the world having great success in tournaments and their respective leagues. Tatar, Sheahan, and Anderson all appear ready. But no it is way to early to scrap the season however if things continue the way they are then the OP may get his wish. That will by no means make anything better this season.

By watching how they play when called up to the NHL. Even these so-called "overripe players" don't look all that impressive.

Nyquist was pretty ineffective last night... That second line is really weak. Didn't want to split up Z and Dats but I think the lines should be

Flippula-Datsyuk-Cleary

I admit that I'm not a huge Cleary fan but he throws everything at the net and looked pretty good last night. The line will be great along the boards and Cleary is a good screener.

I like that but I would put Bert with D and Flip. This team will score goals..up front isnt going to be the issue..now the issue is not only trying to have a decent 6 d men its finding 6 warm bodies to even play.

Flippula-Datsyuk-Cleary

Those are definitely not bad lines except when healthy it leaves a third line of Bertuzzi - Helm - Samuelsson which for me doesn't seem great - not bad though. I personally would have liked to see, last night after the lines got rearranged, lines of Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner, Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen, Cleary - Abdelkader - Eaves, Miller - Emmerton - Tootoo

If Bertuzzi and Helm are back in the line up come friday I would like to see the following: Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner, Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen, Bertuzzi - Helm - Cleary, Eaves - Abdelkader - Tootoo. However, most would agree that Miller does not deserve to sit the most likely course of action will be to send Nyquist back down and rearrange from there.

Who are these kids?

Our farm system isn't as good as people here make it out to be.

:rolleyes: Nyquist, Tatar, Mrazek, Oulette, Sproul, Jarnkrok, Jurco, Frk, and Paterson are all highly regarded. Ferraro, Sheahan and Andersson are all having break-out years (Andersson was just named the AHL's player of the week). The Wings had 2 players on Team Canada's WJC team (and one who just missed the cut), two of the highest regarded defensemen in the OHL, one of the top forwards in the QMJHL (Frk has 38pts in 28gms), 2 kids named to the AHL All-Star team and a leading candidate for the AHL's rookie of the year (Mrazek). On top of this they also have 2 forwards in the Q who are putting up at least a point per game (Quine and Athanasiou) who aren't even included among the players I just listed.

It's ok to doubt the enthusiasm of some posters but you're deeply, deeply incorrect in stating that the Wings farm system isn't excellent.

Sure we don't have the 1st overall type players garbage franchises like Edmonton have (don't doubt that Edmonton's been absolute trash for a decade) but not many teams do.

If Ken Holland doesn't think he can make a trade or signing to keep the Wings in the thick of the hunt for the Cup he won't make the move. The time for short-term extensions of the team's quality ended when Lidstrom retired.

It's interesting that people haven't seemed to notice that Holland's accelerated the pace of his 'overripe' prospect pipeline. Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco and Mrazek all joined the AHL as early as possible (you're not allowed to put players in the AHL before their overage Jr season). Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok and Backman can all make the transition to the AHL next season and are expected to.

The lockout screwed us out of being able to properly evaluate prospects vs veterans this year so Holland appears to have played it as safe as possible. It remains to be seen whether he'll start transitioning kids into the line-up above and beyond the injury replacements but I suspect that depends on whether the Wings look like they can make a real push by the time that situation arises.

People can assume Ken Holland's retarded all they want but this is the first time he's gotten a real license to rebuild (with Lidstrom on the team you have to keep taking runs at the Cup) and it's only 3 games into a lockout shortened season.

This team needs to start crashing the net and get some scramble goals like we always seem to get against us. This team can't play long puck possession in the offensive zone anymore. Direct everything at the goalie and crash the net that's the only time we have been successful offensively then it opens up room. Kronwall can never pull the trigger fast enough seems like

Flippula-Datsyuk-Cleary

I disagree.

I think Cleary is done. His shot is absolutely non-existent in my opinion.

When he first came here, he could get some open ice and fire a pretty hard shot whether it be wrist/slap/snap. I think Sammy, at this point, has a better shot and skates better than Cleary. But I'm basically deciding who is the taller midget between these two....

This team needs to start crashing the net and get some scramble goals like we always seem to get against us. This team can't play long puck possession in the offensive zone anymore. Direct everything at the goalie and crash the net that's the only time we have been successful offensively then it opens up room. Kronwall can never pull the trigger fast enough seems like

Franzen waits too long as well.

This team, though, has been kept to the outside almost entirely since the Nashville series started last spring. It seems like no one can get close to the net anymore.

:rolleyes: Nyquist, Tatar, Mrazek, Oulette, Sproul, Jarnkrok, Jurco, Frk, and Paterson are all highly regarded. Ferraro, Sheahan and Andersson are all having break-out years (Andersson was just named the AHL's player of the week). The Wings had 2 players on Team Canada's WJC team (and one who just missed the cut), two of the highest regarded defensemen in the OHL, one of the top forwards in the QMJHL (Frk has 38pts in 28gms), 2 kids named to the AHL All-Star team and a leading candidate for the AHL's rookie of the year (Mrazek). On top of this they also have 2 forwards in the Q who are putting up at least a point per game (Quine and Athanasiou) who aren't even included among the players I just listed.

It's ok to doubt the enthusiasm of some posters but you're deeply, deeply incorrect in stating that the Wings farm system isn't excellent.

Mitchell Callahan should be on a line with Tootoo and Abdelkader. Talk about a pain in the ass line!

Neither Quine nor Athanasiou play in the Q, they're both OHL boys.

Who is the second highly regarded Defensman we have playing in th OHL? I only know of Sproul. I suspect you're speaking of Ouellet who plays in the Q.

I completely agree with you on our farm system however. We have a very talented group of young players, especially for our average draft position.

Neither Quine nor Athanasiou play in the Q, they're both OHL boys.

Who is the second highly regarded Defensman we have playing in th OHL? I only know of Sproul. I suspect you're speaking of Ouellet who plays in the Q.

I completely agree with you on our farm system however. We have a very talented group of young players, especially for our average draft position.

Indeed! I thought Ouellet was in the Q. My bad.

Sure we don't have the 1st overall type players garbage franchises like Edmonton have (don't doubt that Edmonton's been absolute trash for a decade) but not many teams do.

If Ken Holland doesn't think he can make a trade or signing to keep the Wings in the thick of the hunt for the Cup he won't make the move. The time for short-term extensions of the team's quality ended when Lidstrom retired.

It's interesting that people haven't seemed to notice that Holland's accelerated the pace of his 'overripe' prospect pipeline. Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco and Mrazek all joined the AHL as early as possible (you're not allowed to put players in the AHL before their overage Jr season). Pulkkinen, Jarnkrok and Backman can all make the transition to the AHL next season and are expected to.

The lockout screwed us out of being able to properly evaluate prospects vs veterans this year so Holland appears to have played it as safe as possible. It remains to be seen whether he'll start transitioning kids into the line-up above and beyond the injury replacements but I suspect that depends on whether the Wings look like they can make a real push by the time that situation arises.

People can assume Ken Holland's retarded all they want but this is the first time he's gotten a real license to rebuild (with Lidstrom on the team you have to keep taking runs at the Cup) and it's only 3 games into a lockout shortened season.

Bingo.

I've been comparing this season to the beginning of the 06-07 campaign. Let's recap...

We lost Shanahan and his team leading 40 goals, and Yzerman retired. Holland made no moves whatsoever to replace them. Some even proposed tricking Manny Legace into resigning and then trading him for a 1st line forward. Then Holland signed this decrepid old goaltender named Hasek. The reaction on this forum going into that season was that the Red Wings were destined for failure. Forum members spent long hours on NHL06 making trades that they could post about. When the season started, members threatened to boycott if the second coming Filppula was not kept on opening roster. They were sent into a rage, when Babcock and Holland kept Kopecky on the roster and wasted the final spot on Brad Norton. Filppula was FORCED into humiliation by starting the year in GR, and then we lost the first game of the season to Vancouver and it was PANDEMONUEM. XBOX360's were buzzing madly as Red Wings fans tried to trade Kirk Maltby for players like Crosby and Ovechkin on the newly released NHL07.

Patience payed off though. An injury to much reviled Brad Norton allowed Filppula to be called up and his play allowed for him to never go back to that awful embarassing place called Grand Rapids. Johan Franzen and Dan Cleary stepped up on offense to help offset the loss of Shanahan, and a small forward named Hudler cemented his place in the lineup by providing secondary scoring from the 3rd/4th lines. The Red Wings even held off on making trades until the deadline, aqcuiring 2 forwards who made very little impact on the team. They made it all the way to the Western Conference Finals that season.

I see a lot of parallels between that seasons offense and this seasons defense. I think Holland has the same outlook for this season. Rather than make outrageous trades, or sign overpriced UFA's, he wants to see if some of the existing players on the blueline step up to fill the holes left by Lidstrom and Stuart.

Edited by DSM

posted on another topic also;

internal blue line for the 16/17 season;

Brendan Smith 6'1" 198lb L

Max Nicastro 6'3" 225lb R

Ryan Sproul 6'3" 200lb R

Xavier Ouellet 6'1" 190lb L

Richard Nedomlel 6'5" 231lb L

Alexei Marchenko 6'2" 190lb R

Mattias Bäckman 6'2" 180lb L

Adam Almqvist 5'11" 175lb L

Mike McKee 6'4" 230lb L

Lets be honest that all these wont make the roster, but with projected talent pool we have here i wouldnt be too worried seeing it as our future D.

What i would maybe do is revert McKee back to a winger and also maybe Nedomlel as well. These 2 on the fourth line with maybe Sheahan

as the centre would make interesting viewing to say the least and give us that feared line we once had.We also have the possability of a L & R

combo on each pairing.

I am fairly excited about out prospects for sure, but like someone said, you don't sign someone fror $3M and tell them to sit... I say juggle the lines up....seriously.

Filppula - Datsyuk - Tootoo

Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Brunner

Franzen - Helm - Cleary

Sammy - Abby - Eaves/Miller/Nyquist

I know Tootoo isn't a top 6 guy, but he would provide some level of protection out there for Pav and Fil...Same with Bertuzzi. I do not like Franzen (no really?!?!) but I do believe he is a better third line player than a top 6 guy. If he could find some kind of scoring back, he could really compliment that 3rd line...I think Sammy is washed up...I was a bit excited for him when he signed (not his salary) thinking he was the same player as 2008 or when he went to Vancouver, I was wrong about him. If Holland is not going to make that impact trade then line juggling is going to have to be the answer....or at least a try.

On the D, considering all the injuries, we may no choice but to bring up another 'kid." Besides, it cannot get any worse on D can it?

Kronwall - Lashoff

Smith - Huskins

Kindl - ?????

Guest The Axe

Im just willing to see the kids suck hard and get better instead of the old guys suck normal and get worse. Either way, we are going to have a hard time the next few years. Why not let the kids get the experience now that we know our current older crappy players (Bert, Sammy, Miller, Eaves, Cleary, Tootoo, etc.) cant get it done?

What has Bert done to give you the idea that he isn't getting it done? Eaves and Miller are both important pieces, and Eaves is just coming off a year long injury and has played fine. Yikes, the bottom 6 on this team isn't the problem, it's the top 6 and defense.

What has Bert done to give you the idea that he isn't getting it done? Eaves and Miller are both important pieces, and Eaves is just coming off a year long injury and has played fine. Yikes, the bottom 6 on this team isn't the problem, it's the top 6 and defense.

Seriously. The guy has a $2M cap hit and produces nicely for a 3rd line forward...

Guest The Axe

Old and Slow. Going the wrong way. Need players in their primes or going up. End of story.