• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Yeah, must be bias. Couldn't be that you don't really know what's going on out there. No, that's certainly not possible at all.

People are just sheep and flock to bash on the same players that everybody else is bashing on. Franzen leads our team in scoring every year... Oh, but he's lazy.

I think Flippula is great but when down by 1 in the last minutes of a game I rather have Franzen on the ice

#22 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

People are just sheep and flock to bash on the same players that everybody else is bashing on. Franzen leads our team in scoring every year... Oh, but he's lazy.

I think Flippula is great but when down by 1 in the last minutes of a game I rather have Franzen on the ice

I'm not "people". I point out what I see and have been long before it became "cool" to do it. Truthfully I couldn't give a s*** what the flock thinks. I see what I see and I see a guy who floats. Some guys just don't work hard. In the Babcock era we haven't seen many of those guys so we're not used to it but in this NHL today a lazy top 6 player is death.

Actually I lied. I do have bias. Towards the team. If you are holding them back because of prolonged laziness I want you gone. I don't care who you are. It takes a lot for me to turn on a player on the Wings and you won't see me say this about other guys. But Mule has been a total floater.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 23 January 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#23 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Franzen has the potential to be a good power forward if only he could fight. 

His problem isn't that he doesn't fight.  His problem is that he is lazy, soft, lazy, doesn't use his size, lazy, doesn't skate, lazy, doesn't use his stickhandling ability, lazy, takes soft wrist shots from the perimeter, lazy, is signed for another 8 years, and last but not least, lazy.

Fighting doesn't even come into it.  Homer never fought, but he was the best net-front player in the last 20 years.

Edited by Nev, 23 January 2013 - 05:21 PM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Perfectionism ftl.

#25 Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

I say he should have been at the Tae Bo with tongue in cheek.  While fighting is a part of the game, I do not prefer/recommend it except in this situation where Franzen needs to establish himself as someone who will not put up with the abuse.  And what the hell is up with the NHL and all the after the whistle scrums, especially during the playoffs.  It is a disgrace - if the NHL wants to condone fighting and roughing, then let the players go at it, concussions or not.  But to let players get abused anywhere within 3 feet of the net only encourages the "I can get away with it anywhere anytime" mentality that brings out the goons in the sport.

Sorry for ranting.  I see 2 problems here.  The league allows the after whistle scrums that encourages more senseless violence in other parts of the game.  And Franzen needs to send a message that he will not be cross-checked to the ice without retaliation.

Unfortunately Franzen also has a glass jaw so what am I going on about?   :confused:

#26 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

i was fine with mule come playoff time,when it counts. but 2 years of under performing has done it for me

he doesnt have one ounce of heart. he could be dominate if he used his size. hes got great hands and if he used his size with it he would be unstoppable, guys would fear him.

i could care less if he stays or goes.

#27 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

And that, in a nutshell, is one of the Red Wing's biggest problems.

Franzen can play second fiddle (to Hank in 08 and Hossa in 09), but he can't be "the guy".

#28 sean

sean

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

It's pretty lame when he taunts an opposing player and then hides behind the ref. Put up or shut up!  

Probably he is saving his pretty face for another Dodge commercial.  "Today I didn't even have to take a shower!"

what

#29 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

I'd rather him focus on taking the body in the corners and the forecheck.

Playing hockey would be a priority for me, rather then throwing punches.

I tend to agree with you. Not everyone has the instinct or spirit to fight but he can still play like a Power Forward by finishing his checks with some authoritah, mucking in the corners and driving the net... He can to all of that, he is a big strong guy just needs to learn to play like one.

#30 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Everyone's complained about him being lazy for the past couple years. Lockout happens, and he doesn't go home to Europe to play. Gee, I was so curious as to what the result would be. 

IPB Image

#31 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Comment from Mlive's discussion today:

"Tootoo needs to facewash Mule during warm-ups, EVERY GAME!"

:lol:

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#32 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,099 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

I grow weary of this "He's our leading scorer!" line.

The guy's good for 20-25-ish regular season goals. Which is nice...except, that's it. He plays like an old Brett Hull, minus what made Hull elite even in the latter stage of his career. He is breathtakingly inconsistent; he can disappear for weeks, or maybe (just maybe) he'll carry the team on his back for a couple postseason rounds (if he feels like it, and as long as the opposing teams aren't especially tough or imposing). He's not especially physical. He's not great defensively. He doesn't intimidate anyone. He's got great speed, but rarely gets going, so you'd be excused for thinking he's 40 years old. He has the tools to be an absolute force in this league, but he doesn't seem to have the head or heart, doesn't seem terribly into the requisite work, commitment, dedication, effort, etc. And what has he done in the playoffs the past couple of seasons? Sorry, but, being a Red Wings fan, I've learned that regular season success can be incredibly misleading.

etc.

Edited by Dabura, 24 January 2013 - 03:28 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Agreed. 

And also if he's not going to fight, he needs to knock it off with the gloved punches, suckerpunches and whatnot.  If he's going to start that crap in a scrum, he should back it up.  

I don't get it.

Am I the only one who sees Franzen as a modern day Rick Tocchet?  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Comment from Mlive's discussion today:

"Tootoo needs to facewash Mule during warm-ups, EVERY GAME!"

:lol:

esteef

LOL... I bet 5'5" Tootoo would beat the snot out of 6'4" Mule.

#35 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,832 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

He's even taken it a step further this year, he tosses off one glove before hiding behind the officials now haha. I haven't been a Franzen fan for a long time, mostly because I like guys who hustle and play physical, but he just looks so lazy on the ice when he doesn't have the puck. The worst part about that is I don't like for him to be the puck carrier, he should be skating 100 miles an hour to the net as soon as Datsyuk or Zetterberg bring the puck over the line to create a mismatch with the defenseman which should lead to a scoring chance. But since 2009 I can't recall him doing that much. Sure he leads the team in goals every year, but that's because we've become a goal by committee kinda team the last few years. We have world class centers, but goal scoring wingers, not so much. 

And, I'd rather Franzen not fight because this is embarrassing:

#NOMOREKINDL

#36 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Nobody's suggested that Franzen needs the same MMA training that Huds went through last year yet?  How did that slip by?

At the very least, the Wings need to keep Homer in the organ-I-zation to help teach the players left how to play with some balls.  Call him the Old Balls Coach.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#37 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I don't get it.

Am I the only one who sees Franzen as a modern day Rick Tocchet minus his testicles?  

Fiixed.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#38 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,099 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

One clean hook from Johan Franzen would cripple Thor himself. With great power comes great responsibility.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#39 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,099 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

Former Red Wing Marian Hossa scored his NHL-leading fifth goal on a
power play 1:41 into overtime to give the Chicago Blackhawks a 3-2
comeback victory over the Dallas Stars on Thursday night.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#40 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

The Hossa boat sailed a long time ago guys, no point swimming after it.  Holland said all season long he could only sign one of Franzen or Hossa, and Franzen got in there first.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk