• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Holland said all season long he could only sign one of Franzen or Hossa, and Franzen got in there first.

I'm going for an and-now-it-has-come-back-to-haunt-him kinda thing.

Edited by Dabura, 25 January 2013 - 11:53 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#42 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

But back then who knew that Franzen would spend most of his time laughing all the way to the bank? Hossa cost more in the end too.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#43 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Everyone's complained about him being lazy for the past couple years. Lockout happens, and he doesn't go home to Europe to play. Gee, I was so curious as to what the result would be. 

Clearly, Zetterberg and Datsyuk have benefitted from playing there?  Where is the criticism for either of these guys?  Both have been invisible.  But Franzen is lazy? So what does it make them?

#44 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Clearly, Zetterberg and Datsyuk have benefitted from playing there?  Where is the criticism for either of these guys?  Both have been invisible.  But Franzen is lazy? So what does it make them?

No, not really.

#45 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

smelltheglove.jpg

works every time

#46 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

But back then who knew that Franzen would spend most of his time laughing all the way to the bank? Hossa cost more in the end too.

Hossa was a known, a sure thing. Franzen was a question mark. I'd go with the known.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#47 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hossa was a known, a sure thing. Franzen was a question mark. I'd go with the known.

In hindsight yes but at the time Franzen was giving everyone pretty compelling reasons to choose he over Hossa for a couple mil less or so. Managing a team sometimes is about anticipation and foresight. Holland boofed this one. Which isn't that bad, he's gotten so many right and he had damn good reason to believe he'd be right here too. Y'know it wasn't so much Holland as it is Franzen making his decision look bad. If I had to pick Hossa vs Franzen actually trying, I'd take Franzen. But Hossa vs the Franzen we've seen for the past two years, Hossa in a goddamn landslide.

• Nev likes this

#48 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

I was on the Hossa band wagon since the start, but it wasn't that easy of a decision at the time. Hossa was the more known commodity correct, but Franzen was coming off a 34 goal season, after 27 goals. And two brilliant, I mean brilliant back to back playoff performances of well over a PPG. and 25 goals in 39 playoff games. It was a player that the people in the front office saw grow right before their eyes into one of the more dominating playoff performers in recent memory. 

Franzen was due a raise, he had deserved it, but Hossa was an elite winger that I really wish we put more effort into keeping, but I understand the cap troubles the team had. They wanted to keep their developed playoff beast in Franzen, but they also had a raise for Zetterberg coming up in a year to 6.7 million after playing 2.6 for million, they had to go sign Stuart as well. I wish the wings did sign Hossa to that long term deal, but it wasn't just about Franzen and Hossa.

#49 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I was on the Hossa band wagon since the start, but it wasn't that easy of a decision at the time. Hossa was the more known commodity correct, but Franzen was coming off a 34 goal season, after 27 goals. And two brilliant, I mean brilliant back to back playoff performances of well over a PPG. and 25 goals in 39 playoff games. It was a player that the people in the front office saw grow right before their eyes into one of the more dominating playoff performers in recent memory. 

Franzen was due a raise, he had deserved it, but Hossa was an elite winger that I really wish we put more effort into keeping, but I understand the cap troubles the team had. They wanted to keep their developed playoff beast in Franzen, but they also had a raise for Zetterberg coming up in a year to 6.7 million after playing 2.6 for million, they had to go sign Stuart as well. I wish the wings did sign Hossa to that long term deal, but it wasn't just about Franzen and Hossa.

Really, stop being logical!  What others are also failing to factor into the equation is Mr. Ilitch.  He will always go with the homegrown talent over a free agent who was here for one season.  He is also loyal to successful playoff performers.  Maybe to a fault perhaps, but that's how he rolls, and it seems to have worked well for him.

#50 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

smelltheglove.jpg

OK, I'm totally digging the Spinal Tap reference, but I'm completely missing the significance of it! :D  Smell the glove?  Hello Cleveland?  How-much-more-black-can-you-get? None, none-more-black?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#51 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

He is a b*tch who constantly gets gloves shoved in his face.

(the sustain - listen to it.)

Edited by kook_10, 25 January 2013 - 03:34 PM.

works every time

#52 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

On a serious note, I've noticed for several seasons that opposition teams seem to target him for after-the-whistle rough stuff more than any other player of ours.  Clearly they feel like its a worthwhile tactic.

#53 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

On a serious note, I've noticed for several seasons that opposition teams seem to target him for after-the-whistle rough stuff more than any other player of ours.  Clearly they feel like its a worthwhile tactic.

It clearly works.  He seems to be taken off his game with a couple face washes or chops of the stick.  If the idea is that he is going to camp out in front of the net, I actually think fighting wouldn't be a solution to the problem at all.  It would actually run contrary to that goal.  We don't need him sitting in the box with fighting majors or even matching minors.  For some reason he can't get it through his head to defend himself between the whistles and skate away after them  He needs some thicker skin and some pads like Homers' that accommodate for the extra attention that he draws.  He and Bert both won't get even as many as the few calls Homer drew in front of the net because of their relative size.  If he can't tough it out though (which it seems like he can't), it seems like his offensive resources are misallocated, his confidence suffers, and we will burn him out long before his contract is up. 

Edited by kook_10, 26 January 2013 - 09:37 AM.

works every time

#54 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

In hindsight yes

No, at the time as well.

Franzen was still a question mark at that point in time. A Very Sexy question mark? Sure. But a question mark nonetheless.

Don't Toews me, bro!