• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Schenn suspended 1 game for a clean hit

Rate this topic

Kinda what happens when people learn the importance of concussions. Lots of things weren't always enforced equally through time. When more information about the outcome of the act come out, the penalty becomes stronger.

Kinda what happens when people learn the importance of concussions. Lots of things weren't always enforced equally through time. When more information about the outcome of the act come out, the penalty becomes stronger.

Yeah but whats the point of suspending a player for a clean hit? Volchenkov saw him coming took the hit and both went on with their game so really Shanahan should take a backseat here.

Yeah but whats the point of suspending a player for a clean hit? Volchenkov saw him coming took the hit and both went on with their game so really Shanahan should take a backseat here.

But it wasn't a clean hit, you even said it could be charging. It was a high hit, which made initial contact with the head. It wasn't egregious, but it was an illegal check.

But it wasn't a clean hit, you even said it could be charging. It was a high hit, which made initial contact with the head. It wasn't egregious, but it was an illegal check.

My bad I should have typed charging at best, Schenn is a big body so controlling the point of contact isn't easy.

My bad I should have typed charging at best, Schenn is a big body so controlling the point of contact isn't easy.

Nope it's not, but it's in the rulebook now and it's not going to change. The legal ramifications are too great, just look at the NFL.

Reminds me of Brendan Smith's hit last year. Kinda sorta. Brendan Smith didn't extend his shoulder, Ben Smith just dipped his head into a guy trying to lay a clean hit. The onus shouldn't be on the hitter to get out of the way. It's not a suicide bomb ffs. Same idea, different example.

I am sympathetic, I think we're going through a time when we're learning more about injuries, especially concussions and sports have to tone it down a bit. I know we all want to be manly but living a functioning life without being permanently brain drunk or depressed can be pretty appealing too. I understand the argument about them understanding what they're getting into, but isn't that saying that you'd rather see contact than good players? Because at some point we won't see the best players on the ice, we'll see the ones most willing to hurt themselves and this isn't some second rate ghetto sport like the x games or crashed ice. The game is getting more violent and aggressive and while we say we shouldn't change it, did we ever wish the game was more violent in the past? No, we loved it. We watched. Meaning we shouldn't complain if the contact went backwards a little and we'd likely survive. We expect the players and the game to change but when it's our turn to change, man do we ever flip our lids. We're an entitled bunch.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

Like the OP said, I could see maybe 2 for charging. He came a long way to make that hit and did the Kronwall-esque exploding up into it (which I think should be penalized).

I don't really understand the suspension though.

Here's the Shanaban video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvRFtggbhCI

Honestly after hearing the explanation, if they're doing this to get rid of the exploding up kind of hits, I'm okay with it. The games hardest hitters used to crush guys without jumping. I'd rather we get back to a Scott Stevens style hitting and keep in the game then have everything being penalized and watered down because players these days can't keep their skates on the ice.

Nope it's not, but it's in the rulebook now and it's not going to change. The legal ramifications are too great, just look at the NFL.

Problem wih that: the refs didn't give him anything for it so even they thought it was a clean hit.

Reminds

me of Brendan Smith's hit last year. Kinda sorta. Brendan Smith didn't

extend his shoulder, Ben Smith just dipped his head into a guy trying to

lay a clean hit. The onus shouldn't be on the hitter to get out of the

way. It's not a suicide bomb ffs. Same idea, different example.

I

am sympathetic, I think we're going through a time when we're learning

more about injuries, especially concussions and sports have to tone it

down a bit. I know we all want to be manly but living a functioning life

without being permanently brain drunk or depressed can be pretty

appealing too. I understand the argument about them understanding what

they're getting into, but isn't that saying that you'd rather see

contact than good players? Because at some point we won't see the best

players on the ice, we'll see the ones most willing to hurt themselves

and this isn't some second rate ghetto sport like the x games or crashed

ice. The game is getting more violent and aggressive and while we say

we shouldn't change it, did we ever wish the game was more

violent in the past? No, we loved it. We watched. Meaning we shouldn't

complain if the contact went backwards a little and we'd likely survive.

We expect the players and the game to change but when it's our turn to

change, man do we ever flip our lids. We're an entitled bunch.

I don't expect the players to change and I don't expect the league turning into a non contact league. Dirty and dangerous hits should be punished no question but not hits like this one, give him 2 m inutes for charging and be done with it. Hitting just like fighting is part of the game you can't take that away another reason why I think a real hockeyguy running the show would be better, than some stupid lawyers and their puppets.

Also Volchenkov is one beast of a defender this guy can easily absorb a hit just look at him he got up and nothing happened. So maybe we agree to disagree here :-)

I don't really understand the suspension though.

Here's the Shanaban video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvRFtggbhCI

Honestly

after hearing the explanation, if they're doing this to get rid of the

exploding up kind of hits, I'm okay with it. The games hardest hitters

used to crush guys without jumping. I'd rather we get back to a Scott

Stevens style hitting and keep in the game then have everything being

penalized and watered down because players these days can't keep their

skates on the ice.

The video itself called it charging and charging = 2 minutes according to the rulebook. So if the rulebook would have a line like "charging = 1 game suspension" it would have been fine with me. Scott Stevens exploded too just in a different manner and era. I also think the video ancle was a bit off would have prefered a zoom in to see if Schenn left his feet before exploding into Volchenkov.

Edited by frankgrimes

Video speaks. They are going to protect guys against concussions. Schenn did two things wrong here, he charged AND he targeted the head. In today's game that's a suspension every time. If he had charged Volchenkov and hit him in the shoulder, he probably wouldn't have been penalized and definitely wouldn't have been suspended.

These guys need to keep their skates on the ice and keep their hits to the body. If they don't, then they're in the wrong.

Here's how hard hits have to be done these days...lest anyone start bitching that they're taking the hitting out of hockey.

Problem wih that: the refs didn't give him anything for it so even they thought it was a clean hit.

I don't expect the players to change and I don't expect the league turning into a non contact league. Dirty and dangerous hits should be punished no question but not hits like this one, give him 2 m inutes for charging and be done with it. Hitting just like fighting is part of the game you can't take that away another reason why I think a real hockeyguy running the show would be better, than some stupid lawyers and their puppets.

Also Volchenkov is one beast of a defender this guy can easily absorb a hit just look at him he got up and nothing happened. So maybe we agree to disagree here :-)

The video itself called it charging and charging = 2 minutes according to the rulebook. So if the rulebook would have a line like "charging = 1 game suspension" it would have been fine with me. Scott Stevens exploded too just in a different manner and era. I also think the video ancle was a bit off would have prefered a zoom in to see if Schenn left his feet before exploding into Volchenkov.

In the video it shows him clearly airborne before impact is made.

I picked Stevens because he's the most famous of that era, but I could've said Vladdy and plenty of other guys. And no, Stevens didn't explode up like guys do today. Players used to crush guys while still having their skates glued to the ice. Then over the years this "exploding up" became acceptable because their skates were on the ice most of the way. Kronwall has certainly been guilty of it, though he corrected it last season. And Zetterberg has been guilty of it on occasion too. With Z though it's usually a half-hearted hit that he's turning to protect himself, not to crush someone.

Guys can learn the right way to hit again. It's been done that way for most of hockey's history.

I dont have a problem with the suspension really, its charging all the way, and to me, looks like he leaves his feet to launch into him. I think its a good call on the NHL's part. If he doesnt leave his feet, and launch at him... then my opinion changes. But leaping up to hit the guy, really forces the body and head/neck of the guy getting hit to jump back, and potentially leading to him falling backwards to the ice... "head first"

Edited by brandon27

I understand why some people have a problem with the suspension, but they need to get over it and understand that you can't hit like that. It really isn't that difficult to avoid. The video even acknowledges that players will leave their feet sometimes on natural follow through, but he clearly went airborn long before contact.

If the shoulder went into his chest, it would simply be a 2 minute minor for charging. Since it made contact with the head, it's a suspension. Simple as that really.

Less offensive hits have been penalized more severely.

What's a one game suspension, anyway?

Tootoo should've been suspended 1 game for his hit last night. Especially since the victim fell to the ice, increasing the risk of him hitting his head on the ice and causing a concussion.

What's a one game suspension anyway?

Tootoo should've been suspended 1 game for his hit last night. Especially since the victim fell to the ice, increasing the risk of him hitting his head on the ice and causing a concussion.

What's a one game suspension anyway?

my point exactly, if this hit was suspension worthy then tootoo's is aswell