• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
frankgrimes

Schenn suspended 1 game for a clean hit

Rate this topic

No. That post was littered with sarcasm. Neither hit should even be considered suspendable.

Sarcasm or not, if one is suspendable so is the other. In my opinion tootoo had the more dangerous hit because Larsen was 4 feet from the boards and tootoo smashed him into it, pretty reckless if you think about it

Sarcasm or not, if one is suspendable so is the other. In my opinion tootoo had the more dangerous hit because Larsen was 4 feet from the boards and tootoo smashed him into it, pretty reckless if you think about it

Tootoo kept his elbows down and his feet on the ice throughout the entire hit. Hockey is a dangerous sport. Guys can get hurt on clean hits. Schenn's hit was a charge. However, it shouldn't be a suspendable hit.

Tootoo kept his elbows down and his feet on the ice throughout the entire hit. Hockey is a dangerous sport. Guys can get hurt on clean hits. Schenn's hit was a charge. However, it shouldn't be a suspendable hit.

tell me this isn't a charge and boarding please..

Give me a break. He didn't charge from the other end of the ice, and its not like he smashed his face into the boards from behind. The fact that this hit is even being discussed as possibly suspension-worthy is ridiculous.

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

Both of those from nhl.com and they pretty much both sum up the hit

He jumped into his ******* head. Seriously, we are complaining about that? Tootoo might have been charging, but he didn't jump into homie. Are we penalizing hard hits or head hits? Kind confused after reading this thread.

He jumped into his ******* head. Seriously, we are complaining about that? Tootoo might have been charging, but he didn't jump into homie. Are we penalizing hard hits or head hits? Kind confused after reading this thread.

I am not debating that schenn jumped on the hit. What I am saying is tootoos hit was just as dangerous, it was boarding and charging. Not to mention Larsen didn't even see the hit coming, by the time he even turned around tootoo was already hitting him

He got suspended for hitting him in the head, not for charging per se. It was an illegal hit AND it targeted the head, that's suspension worthy. An illegal hit by it's lonesome is just worthy of a penalty. Maybe Tootoo should have got a penalty, but not a suspension. Schenn deserved both.

He got suspended for hitting him in the head, not for charging per se. It was an illegal hit AND it targeted the head, that's suspension worthy. An illegal hit by it's lonesome is just worthy of a penalty. Maybe Tootoo should have got a penalty, but not a suspension. Schenn deserved both.

fair enough

Also the puck was gone already. I understand that player is allowed to finish his check but Schenn took quite a run into this one. The stated purpose of hockey hits is to separate player from the puck. I guess league is trying to send a message to not make hits just for sake of hitting.

guilty as charged to me. and Shanabans explanations makes perfect sense. jumping waaaay before the hit and aiming at the head. really, nothing to discuss...

and yep, it is very Kronwall-esque in its nature. probably more skates into the air than little Nick, but still - long approach and boom upstairs. that's a textbook dangerous hit.

one thing is different than Kronwall, though. Kronner spins before the hit to use his back as impact point, not arm/elbow. that way he has more chance to hit the other guy because the surface is larger. I guess this also means heavy shake of whole body but less chance of injury of particular body parts.

Edited by akustyk

guilty as charged to me. and Shanabans explanations makes perfect sense. jumping waaaay before the hit and aiming at the head. really, nothing to discuss...

and yep, it is very Kronwall-esque in its nature. probably more skates into the air than little Nick, but still - long approach and boom upstairs. that's a textbook dangerous hit.

one thing is different than Kronwall, though. Kronner spins before the hit to use his back as impact point, not arm/elbow. that way he has more chance to hit the other guy because the surface is larger. I guess this also means heavy shake of whole body but less chance of injury of particular body parts.

I think it's important to credit Kronwall for improving his hit. He used to get air and launch up a lot more, last year he had several hits where I don't even think his feet left the ice, even after the hit.

On that note, Kronwall has stepped up for a big hit the last two games. Guys are bailing on it though. I think it's funny watching guys realize who's coming up the boards at them and frantically try to get out of the way.

Also the puck was gone already. I understand that player is allowed to finish his check but Schenn took quite a run into this one. The stated purpose of hockey hits is to separate player from the puck. I guess league is trying to send a message to not make hits just for sake of hitting.

That's B.S., and I'm so sick of hearing "well the league doesn't want guys hitting". It's not true. They just don't want guys getting hit in the head illegally.

This hit took place last season. Neither a penalty nor a suspension were issued. Why? Because it's not illegal and he didn't target the head. If players hit correctly (e.g. stay on their feet and hit opposing players in the body/shoulder) then there's no problem.

SHoudl have been a 2 minute penalty or the refs just let it go cause it was borderline, to start suspending guys for hits like this is a slippery slope.

The refs let it go because they screwed up, didn't see it, whatevere. Slippery slope is a nice buzz word and all, but there is no "slippery slope" here. You can't jump and hit guys in the head....period. It's pretty black and white really.

On Tootoo's hit, I'd have to look at it again to see if it was charging, but I'd lean towards no. He didn't skate from the other side of the ice to make the hit and he didn't leave his feet. What is for sure, it wasn't boarding. He didn't hit a defenseless player. You'll never see a boarding call when player get hits squarely in the chest, it will come from hits from behind, to the side, etc.

The refs let it go because they screwed up, didn't see it, whatevere. Slippery slope is a nice buzz word and all, but there is no "slippery slope" here. You can't jump and hit guys in the head....period. It's pretty black and white really.

On Tootoo's hit, I'd have to look at it again to see if it was charging, but I'd lean towards no. He didn't skate from the other side of the ice to make the hit and he didn't leave his feet. What is for sure, it wasn't boarding. He didn't hit a defenseless player. You'll never see a boarding call when player get hits squarely in the chest, it will come from hits from behind, to the side, etc.

Agree. Shanny got the Schenn hit correct, but Tootoo's was a good clean blowup.

esteef

I don't understand how people are comparing the Tootoo and the Schenn hit...

Tootoo's hit he did not jump, he stayed low to not make contact with his head, and for those who said he boarded him, the Rule states violently hits the boards. Those you say its boarding can you say he honestly he the boards violently. Schenns hit he was practically a foot off the ice before he made contact. It is called charging because that is the only rule in the book that covers jumping at a players head. There is no Jumping into a hit penalty and it falls under Charging. Look at both points of impact and if you are telling me they are the same thing then I feel sorry for you.. Tootoo's hit was as clean as a open ice hit like that can come, he stopped skating almost 10 feet out from the hit, what else is he supposed to do stop and then hit him?

Schenn's hit was called charging because he JUMPED, and was a foot of the ice, before contact was made.

I don't understand how people are comparing the Tootoo and the Schenn hit...

Tootoo's hit he did not jump, he stayed low to not make contact with his head, and for those who said he boarded him, the Rule states violently hits the boards. Those you say its boarding can you say he honestly he the boards violently. Schenns hit he was practically a foot off the ice before he made contact. It is called charging because that is the only rule in the book that covers jumping at a players head. There is no Jumping into a hit penalty and it falls under Charging. Look at both points of impact and if you are telling me they are the same thing then I feel sorry for you.. Tootoo's hit was as clean as a open ice hit like that can come, he stopped skating almost 10 feet out from the hit, what else is he supposed to do stop and then hit him?

Schenn's hit was called charging because he JUMPED, and was a foot of the ice, before contact was made.

you could make the case about Tootoo's hit being dangerously close to the boards and that always means a significant risk of eg. neck injury. but other than that I agree it was feet on the ice and by far not a head shot.

Edited by akustyk